It's muffler time - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2012, 08:18 AM
LB Defender
Eric Beth
94 Defender 90

It's muffler time

I blew apart the mild steel muffler on my NAS 94 D-90. So it looks like I'm going to have to replace it. The price of the OEM muffler is outrageous so I'm looking for aftermarket.

When I crawled underneath to examine what was going on, besides the big f'ing hole I found, I saw one of the cats had been replaced already by one of the previous owners. I'll guess that more than just the cat was renewed because all of the pipes in and out of the muffler are fine with no signs of rust through or even softness.

I'm thinking of just replacing the muffler and not an entire cat back system. Business sucks and I would rather not spend more than I have to (but getting a quality part is a must). I'm leaning towards a magnaflow and to that end does anyone have a part number for just the muffler?

Also, is there any reason why just replacing the muffler is not a smart move?

Thanks,

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Last I checked you just go on their site and say what make, model, year you have and it tells you everything.
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

I had the local shop weld a Magnaflow into the Disco.

Got the handy dandy tape measure out and figured out the longest one that would fit...cut the old one off and welded the new one in.

No biggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

x2 the maganflow SS universal replacements are cheap and easy to get. Come in every in/out size under the sun.

performancepeddler.com has good deals and so does amazon

check magnaflows site for a part number after you measure the pipe diameters and go nuts
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:18 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does your current setup have bolted connections at the muffler? If so, you will need to either cut these off and use slip connections/clamps or weld in the replacement muffler. I went through the same things you are a little while back and opted for a Flowmaster because they have an "offroad" series muffler that takes a little more abuse because the case is made of almost 1/8" diamond plate. I chose to buy two Walker connectors (41723 & 41726) for about $10 each to weld onto the muffler to re-establish the bolt in connections.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Part number is 16711.... check amazon I think I saw it on there for 530 + Shipping.
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:48 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Muffler Replacement

What bolts did you use to secure the muffler flange to the cats and tailpipe? Were there springs involved or just nuts and bolts?

Thanks,

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Does your current setup have bolted connections at the muffler? If so, you will need to either cut these off and use slip connections/clamps or weld in the replacement muffler. I went through the same things you are a little while back and opted for a Flowmaster because they have an "offroad" series muffler that takes a little more abuse because the case is made of almost 1/8" diamond plate. I chose to buy two Walker connectors (41723 & 41726) for about $10 each to weld onto the muffler to re-establish the bolt in connections.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:50 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh12 View Post
What bolts did you use to secure the muffler flange to the cats and tailpipe? Were there springs involved or just nuts and bolts?

Thanks,

Dan
I just used some M10 bolts with washers and nuts...no springs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions