It's coming! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

It's coming!

Okay, so apologies up-front, this is not a technical issue but just had to share my excitement that my 'new' '88 D90 is soon going to be on its way across the pond. Working with Uncle Doug to see that it arrives here safely by the middle of next month.

I bought it about 6-months ago and my friends have been driving and looking after it while waiting for its 25-yr. birthday to arrive.

It's an insanely clean one-owner LHD truck that spent its life at a the owners chalet in Switzerland so no rot underneath and the owner spared no expense in maintaining it. I got really lucky in finding it.

Can't wait to be back in a Defender.

Cheers,
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:44 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That is a very good looking truck.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:39 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Congrats Carl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blood View Post
Okay, so apologies up-front, this is not a technical issue but just had to share my excitement that my 'new' '88 D90 is soon going to be on its way across the pond. Working with Uncle Doug to see that it arrives here safely by the middle of next month.

I bought it about 6-months ago and my friends have been driving and looking after it while waiting for its 25-yr. birthday to arrive.

It's an insanely clean one-owner LHD truck that spent its life at a the owners chalet in Switzerland so no rot underneath and the owner spared no expense in maintaining it. I got really lucky in finding it.

Can't wait to be back in a Defender.

Cheers,
A very desirable white SW! very nice indeed!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 23rd, 2013, 11:07 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
2.5TD? I had a 110 that originated from Switzerland and the frame was in amazing condition too. Rear cross looked new and the outriggers had zero delamination. I miss that truck.

Clay
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Looks like they exercised it for you!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Carl, welcome back! Don't sell this one, but if you do, put me at the top of the list. Great looking truck.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Nice looking early truck. What are your thoughts on the Rostyles?

-Jeff
nothing that can't be cured with a liberal application of boosts ....
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Nice looking early truck. What are your thoughts on the Rostyles?

-Jeff

Er... not sure about this. Are you referring to the wheels? If so, I'm not sure whether I keep it all original or put some NAS alloys on it (though I believe I would need spacers for the rear at least.) I kind of like the idea of keeping it period-correct since it is currently unmolested.

More importantly at the moment, it won't start and my friends are not the least but mechanical. From what they've described it sounds like the starter or bendix which should be an easy fix but we just need to find someone to come round their place to sort it.

They had been 'exercising' it for me until a couple months ago when they bought a Boxster and their desire to drive the truck waned. Go figure
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

Old May 24th, 2013, 02:13 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post

nothing that can't be cured with a liberal application of boosts ....
No way - Rostyles > Boosts
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

Only two days left until the ship arrives in Baltimore. Getting close now!

Old August 4th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

My truck finally cleared Customs (thanks Uncle Douglas) and will be on a car hauler and delivered this week. I've sort-of put it out of mind for the last month while I've been waiting but am now getting quite excited for it to finally arrive- nearly a year after I purchased it.

One of the first things I need to go is install a spare tire carrier on the rear. Not sure if I want to go with a door-mounted one of a Mantec swing-away but am leaning toward the latter.

Old August 4th, 2013, 04:36 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
My truck finally cleared Customs (thanks Uncle Douglas) and will be on a car hauler and delivered this week. I've sort-of put it out of mind for the last month while I've been waiting but am now getting quite excited for it to finally arrive- nearly a year after I purchased it.

One of the first things I need to go is install a spare tire carrier on the rear. Not sure if I want to go with a door-mounted one of a Mantec swing-away but am leaning toward the latter.
A door mount will kill the back door eventually. Mantec or other swing away is the way to go.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:43 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:

Congrats. Having these arrives never gets old.

Door mount is always my first choice. One trick that works for me on my NAS is to position the wheel as far back as possible on the door mount. This reduces the leverage/weight on the door. My rear door opens smoother than doors with mantec swings.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

It's here!

Finally, after 10-months of waiting my 90 has arrived and I couldn't be happier.

Took a month to clear Customs but other than that, the entire process has gone extremely well (thanks Unlce Douglas.) To my surprise and delight, it's in even better condition than I thought it would be. It's nearly as clean underneath as my '94 was and that truck came from Texas. Clearly this 90 lived a pampered life in Switzerland. And astonishingly after sitting in my garage for a couple days there wasn't even a drop of oil on the floor (and yes, I checked and it has oil in it.)

I drove it around this weekend and everything is in perfect working order, save a slight rich condition on starting when warm. Probably a little carb fiddling is in order. Should be just the thing to start our relationship.

Really happy to have it in the stable.

Old August 12th, 2013, 10:25 PM
charlesteton
Charles Teton
2011 Defender 110 Dormobile Camper

Nice...
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
That is awesome, you are very lucky person...,
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

Jeff- It's a 2.5L petrol engine. Not as slow as I thought but then I wasn't expecting much

It actually drives quite nicely and has adequate power for my needs. What I like about these trucks anyway is putting myself in the mental state to enjoy going slow. There's a certain charm to the Defender's simple, mechanical nature which is exactly what I like about them.

Cheers.

Old August 14th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Make sure and add her to our Defender Registry (link).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions