It is stalling bit it ain't the stepper!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:23 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

It is stalling bit it ain't the stepper!!

Ok gents. I got a new one. My truck recently went through the entire stepper stalling coil spark plug issue. All that got taken care of. It has a fuel pump that is about 2 years old and fuel relays. Anyway recently it has started randomly having a massive kick when under power and then the next time the clutch goes in it dies. I can downshift and it will still die at the stop light. Anyway, I go to restart it and all is fine. The behaviour is always consistant but the timing of the behaviour is extremely inconsistant. I am woried the computer is about to let loose. I have not put a computer on it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2013, 08:37 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Ok gents. I got a new one. My truck recently went through the entire stepper stalling coil spark plug issue. All that got taken care of. It has a fuel pump that is about 2 years old and fuel relays. Anyway recently it has started randomly having a massive kick when under power and then the next time the clutch goes in it dies. I can downshift and it will still die at the stop light. Anyway, I go to restart it and all is fine. The behaviour is always consistant but the timing of the behaviour is extremely inconsistant. I am woried the computer is about to let loose. I have not put a computer on it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
It's not the ECU. Check your ground straps.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Check your ignition module.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I know what the ignition module is but the ground straps are a new one to me. Where might one find those?

Thanks.
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:21 PM
landrovermanuk
John Lindsay
1986 Land Rover 90, 3.9Efi

Registry
I had this, replacing the ignition amplifier cured it. On mine it's fitted next to the coil, on some models it's on the side of the dizzy..... Hope this helps...

Land Rover owners like it rough and dirty...
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:15 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

While I was at it, last night I was driving my kid to get a banana split, and down the street from me a dude had a two of a kind rover parked out front. As we all know they used a rover in Tomb Raider. Apparently the movie company used two defenders to promote the movie. They then sold them. Apparently some guy named velvet bought one in Missouri, and then put it up for sale on ebay. A neighbor of mine bought it, and had it parked out back yesterday. if it had not been dark I would have snapped some pics. Great looking rig. Had the TD in it. It apparently was built on an 83 chassis. I will see if I can't get some pics of it.
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:25 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
While I was at it, last night I was driving my kid to get a banana split, and down the street from me a dude had a two of a kind rover parked out front. As we all know they used a rover in Tomb Raider. Apparently the movie company used two defenders to promote the movie. They then sold them. Apparently some guy named velvet bought one in Missouri, and then put it up for sale on ebay. A neighbor of mine bought it, and had it parked out back yesterday. if it had not been dark I would have snapped some pics. Great looking rig. Had the TD in it. It apparently was built on an 83 chassis. I will see if I can't get some pics of it.
Sounds like someone bought snake oil
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
I know what the ignition module is but the ground straps are a new one to me. Where might one find those?

Thanks.
Ground cables are on the back of the ds head, coil mounting bolt and the ds transmission housing.
Check all wires from the ign mod, coil and dist.
I chased a similar problem and the ign mod was the culprit.
Good luck...

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Currently chasing a similar issue myself:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42780

Got sidetracked when I broke some things on my fuel tank, but got all new fittings on and almost ready to go back in. Just figured I'd paint my fuel tank cradle mounts while I had it out, so as soon as the paint is dry it'll be going back in for testing. I know you replaced your fuel pump, but there's a list of other things that could be the culprit on my thread as well.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:37 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I will dig into this tomorrow in terms of cracking into the straps. Thanks for the input guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions