Is this too fruity? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
KatieMo
Katie
1987 Land Rover 90 ex-MOD (sold)

Registry
thanks guys. love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2012, 03:20 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Smile

I like the bumper

here is the color combo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grey0812.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	56853  
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:28 PM
KatieMo
Katie

Registry
that's a beautiful combo... nice work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

gray & fruity

Hey thanks!
This gray I think is called Carbon Metallic. It has just a bit of green in it. It will be satin or matte.
I like the gloss black, too. But I'm determined to get one I don't have to clean. I'm tired of washing cars. The gloss black ones look good, but only when clean. So I'm trying to find something I don't have to wash. I even thought about painting it mud or dirt colored!
If yours (Kate) is camo like that and no rust, then Yes you probably shouldn't paint it.
I was going to do the tan thing with white roof, but my wife thought it looked too military. Maybe that works with a female, but for me, if you're not really military (my eyes were too bad to join) then it could be like "who do you think you are?" so I went with the "Hopefully-I'll-Never-Have-Wash-It-Gray"

Jack
Old August 31st, 2012, 12:05 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Matte and satin look like dog shit on a Land Rover. That's Ford F350 stuff, the guy with the massive lift kit and chromed-out wheels and the Ed Hardy t-shirt with some sorta-hot chick with the giant sunglasses and a fake tan sitting in the passenger seat.

If you're into a military paint scheme, fine, paint it an authentic MoD color. That would look nice.
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:40 AM
KatieMo
Katie

Registry
i think with a land rover defender 110 or 90 you should be in the category of "i don't give a F what people think of me" and if it is military and you are not so they can go and blank themselves. who cares? i get out of my 90 in a pink dress and a middle finger in the air. yeah it could be all pretty shiny and NAS yellow and very 5 million dollar house looking but who cares? it's for recreation and dirt, dogs and offending people in the rain and mud so be it. not about what others think of it... so on that note... paint it what you want it to be. mine has only been here a week and it was attempted stolen tonight. that's LA for you. got off work and the dash was cracked, unbolted and torn down. i was so sad. luckily the losers had no luck actually taking it but they did a lot of cosmetic damage. I HATE IT HERE. can't wait to retire to hawaii or something. my poor 90... a victim of loser medi-cal using, state fund abusing, disability funding TRASH. sorry to vent but can't believe it!

any good security tips are appreciated. it has the battery under the seat so i am considering disconnecting it when not in use because most tool bags don't know where it's at... maybe i should post this privately but any dumb A doesn't know how to use a forum anyway. booo, my poor car. how do you like that?!
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:56 AM
KatieMo
Katie

Registry
oh, and axel, if that is your actual 110 already painted with the grey... that's gorgeous enough both clean AND dirty. just enjoy it. my black sports car is dirty all of the time but when i feel like being "classy" i wash it. that is about once ever 2 months. again, WHO CARES what anyone thinks but you. your a bad A for even knowing what a real truck feels like. paint it poo brown for all we care... it's all about performance.
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:48 AM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Chris says "sorta-hot chick with the giant sunglasses and a fake tan sitting in the passenger seat" like it's a bad thing.

It makes me think I should start a new thread: What would be the ideal chick to ride with you in a Land Rover? Then we ask her how to paint it!
Old August 31st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
seems like KATIEMo IS the ideal chick...and she is telling everyone how to paint it.

CHEERS
Old September 6th, 2012, 01:56 AM
BCN
BRIAN
94/D90/#1337/AA YELLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMo
i think with a land rover defender 110 or 90 you should be in the category of "i don't give a F what people think of me" and if it is military and you are not so they can go and blank themselves. who cares? i get out of my 90 in a pink dress and a middle finger in the air. yeah it could be all pretty shiny and NAS yellow and very 5 million dollar house looking but who cares? it's for recreation and dirt, dogs and offending people in the rain and mud so be it. not about what others think of it... so on that note... paint it what you want it to be. mine has only been here a week and it was attempted stolen tonight. that's LA for you. got off work and the dash was cracked, unbolted and torn down. i was so sad. luckily the losers had no luck actually taking it but they did a lot of cosmetic damage. I HATE IT HERE. can't wait to retire to hawaii or something. my poor 90... a victim of loser medi-cal using, state fund abusing, disability funding TRASH. sorry to vent but can't believe it!

any good security tips are appreciated. it has the battery under the seat so i am considering disconnecting it when not in use because most tool bags don't know where it's at... maybe i should post this privately but any dumb A doesn't know how to use a forum anyway. booo, my poor car. how do you like that?!
I know you're ventin' but don't hate on AA Yellow jus because we look really really good wherever we are/whatever we do! and I keep her clean cause that's how I was raised.

Seriously where are you that you are getting jacked already? If you're on the westside just move already because everybody knows that the dbag incidence is extremely high there. My first 996 (also yellow thank you very much) got jacked out of MDR in broad daylight... a supposedly "upscale" area too. Cameras, locks, security gaurds... all useless. The thieves didn't leave behind ANYTHING either... it was like they swept up afterward. Just get good insurance and DO NOT CONFRONT the thieves. It will get you shot or stabbed or run over. Seriously. Girl or not... those f'rs are very serious about staying out of jail. You may see them as cowardly (and I agree) but I will also say that many of them are hardcore predators too. I can tell you from personal experience that some of these guys aren't afraid to use deadly force at the slightest provocation, for really stupid sh**. Plus they know where you live but you don't know where they do. I know you love your truck as I love mine but remember it's just a truck.

Don't mean to suck all the fun out of the room. LA is pretty cool and there are a lot of good things about being here... just pick your battles. Somebody jacks your stuff call the LAPD and let them earn their pay (look at the handcuffed105 lb RN they beat up: high five!)
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

He should do it.

So we can all have a good laugh at his expense.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:29 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Katie for president!!
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:40 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
any good security tips are appreciated.
A Mastiff that can use a Glock would be a good start, but failing that, no, there isn't much you can do.
As counter intuitive as it may seem, leaving it unlocked may help. Also doing stuff like putting the transfer case in neutral and undoing the battery are about the best you can hope for.
One thing we used to do in the Army is run a chain around the brake pedal up to the steering wheel. This will discourage all but the most determined.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMo View Post
i think with a land rover defender 110 or 90 you should be in the category of "i don't give a F what people think of me" and if it is military and you are not so they can go and blank themselves. who cares? i get out of my 90 in a pink dress and a middle finger in the air. yeah it could be all pretty shiny and NAS yellow and very 5 million dollar house looking but who cares? it's for recreation and dirt, dogs and offending people in the rain and mud so be it. not about what others think of it...
This may be the best lines ever written on this forum...Love it.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:12 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Oh I love that sand! I can visualize with a white roof... it would still look great. And no need for white wheels when you have a white top... black wheels are fine with a white roof. black wheels look good on ANYTHING.
Agree that black wheels look good on almost anything. Problem is it's a little tracked and so many people are running them now. So much so I ended up painting my Disco steelies a graphite grey. I kinda dig the red wheels that I've seen on street rods but don't think it would look good at all on a Defender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrover View Post
Someone photoshop a white roof for Katie
That sand colored 110 is great! Love that color on bikes too. Looks sick with white and black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Matte and satin look like dog shit on a Land Rover. That's Ford F350 stuff, the guy with the massive lift kit and chromed-out wheels and the Ed Hardy t-shirt with some sorta-hot chick with the giant sunglasses and a fake tan sitting in the passenger seat.

If you're into a military paint scheme, fine, paint it an authentic MoD color. That would look nice.
Agree - there is a L322 in the area that's murdered and I can't stand it. Murdered schemes are like the Euro white jobs of the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
A Mastiff that can use a Glock would be a good start, but failing that, no, there isn't much you can do.
As counter intuitive as it may seem, leaving it unlocked may help. Also doing stuff like putting the transfer case in neutral and undoing the battery are about the best you can hope for.
One thing we used to do in the Army is run a chain around the brake pedal up to the steering wheel. This will discourage all but the most determined.
Agree on leaving it unlocked. A dog or 2 will usually help and good ones can tell shady punks from a bit away and will make it known. I like the chain around the brake pedal idea - I'd check into bike locks that are NYC certified. But I think the heavy duty thieves just roll them onto flat beds anyways.
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked, doin' somethin' like that, man.

Black or body color.

-Jeff
...a deep cut from Office Space
that almost slipped under my radar at first

okay, back to the point......
I'd stick with body color or matte black on the wheel arches.

Lot of people suggested I keep my roof body color (epsom) when I had the new roof installed, but with no air con, that would be tough.

I struggled with the decision to paint my wolf wheels black (they were matte silver before), but the rock sliders and cage was all black. Too many colors and themes may not be "fruity" but it is confusing. Keep it simple.
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:00 PM
KatieMo
Katie

Registry
I was born and raised in LA and that is why I can comment on the changes I have seen (for the worse) in the last 30 years. It's HORRIFIC in comparison to what it was. Illegal immigration, abuse of free services, people swindling SSI and disability, high crime, filth, the LAUSD going downhill because of funding problems... this has all happened in the last 30 years or less. I have called the LAPD on numerous occasions... they are usually of no help. Have NEVER recovered one stolen item for me... whether car, purse, or other. They write a report and move on. I've had several cars broken into in "upscale" areas. I won't comment on where my truck was or where it is now. And wasn't hating on yellow, promise! ... I was using it as the example of the most sought after and "expensive" color but that is a personal choice, just as having a shiny truck is a personal choice vs. one that I let my dog have free reign of. To me and my life, a truck is meant for being a truck. To be used as a truck, picking up plants or trees at the nursery, going to the lake, hiking trails, etc. To others, it might be for something else.... collector's item, etc. You are very right about not confronting the thieves... they are highly dangerous. I am now using my daily driver when I need to park a car for prolonged periods of time. I am a 3rd generation Los Angeles native... this is my home. But let's call a spade a spade. It's not LA's fault... it's the people who have moved here, stolen from here, used and abused the tax paying citizens here, and just acted like general trash her. But what does that have to do with stealing a Defender except just to remind people to be careful where you park it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCN View Post
I know you're ventin' but don't hate on AA Yellow jus because we look really really good wherever we are/whatever we do! and I keep her clean cause that's how I was raised.

Seriously where are you that you are getting jacked already? If you're on the westside just move already because everybody knows that the dbag incidence is extremely high there. My first 996 (also yellow thank you very much) got jacked out of MDR in broad daylight... a supposedly "upscale" area too. Cameras, locks, security gaurds... all useless. The thieves didn't leave behind ANYTHING either... it was like they swept up afterward. Just get good insurance and DO NOT CONFRONT the thieves. It will get you shot or stabbed or run over. Seriously. Girl or not... those f'rs are very serious about staying out of jail. You may see them as cowardly (and I agree) but I will also say that many of them are hardcore predators too. I can tell you from personal experience that some of these guys aren't afraid to use deadly force at the slightest provocation, for really stupid sh**. Plus they know where you live but you don't know where they do. I know you love your truck as I love mine but remember it's just a truck.

Don't mean to suck all the fun out of the room. LA is pretty cool and there are a lot of good things about being here... just pick your battles. Somebody jacks your stuff call the LAPD and let them earn their pay (look at the handcuffed105 lb RN they beat up: high five!)
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:05 PM
BCN
BRIAN
94/D90/#1337/AA YELLOW

Quote:
I was born and raised in LA...except just to remind people to be careful where you park it!
1) Axel: sorry for the hijack!

2) KatieMo: Ha! my bad. Misunderstood and thought you were new to the area. You definitely have your sh** in one bag. Didn't mean to make it sound like you needed anyone to tell you anything about LA, just didn't want one more good person to get caught out by the bottom feeders. I realize now that the best thing for me was not coming home when they were stealing my bike because I would have tried to stop them and they would have probably ruined my day even more.

I was just teasing about the yellow comments! I promise to still wave!
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Axel, just get a can of NATO green paint, some brushes and let the neighborhood kids go at it.

Katie and Brian, I must respectfully disagree with the whole being afraid of the criminal thing. I live in So Fla. and have had two home invasion and one car jacking. I used to live in the hood so I speak from experience. In the first home invasion as they were trying to kick in the front door, I came out with an 8 shot Rem 870. The second home invasion I met them at the front door with my .45 cal Glock 21. The guy I held at gun point literaly pissed his pants befor he turned and ran. The car jacking a guy sneaks up behind me with a knife while I am unloading my 6 Mo old daughter. My wife alerts me and I come out with my Glock in that fuckers face. He runs faster than I could shoot him.

Mindset = Predators love easy prey. I am not easy prey. Situational awareness = you gotta know your surroundings. Trainning = the first incident I was gill flapping (and I'm a Marine!) I got lucky despite making mistakes. By the third one my heart rate didnt rise - I had been practicing.

But that's just me.
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Hey no problem. I'm enjoying the discussion

And I'd love to let the kids go at it, sort of a rolling graffiti, but my body shop friend is giving me a big discount so he can show it off.

Speaking of security, and "feminizing" a Defender, he put compartments under the floor boards and my wife's reaction was "Finally, a car that has a place to hide my purse!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions