Is this sound normal? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:31 AM
Bajavet
Mike Copenhaver
'94 D90 ST

Is this sound normal?

I'm brand new to D90's. I just picked up my new to me D90 last weekend. I drove it home about 300 miles and it did great. I noticed a slight vibration that felt like it was coming from the rear of the drive line. It occured only at highway speeds of 65 to 75 mph when decelerating. It only ocurred imediately when taking foot off of acclerator and lasted only a very brief time. I just had a 2" lift installed. I did not drive it at these speeds prior to the lift so I cannot compare to pre lift.
Is this a normal D90 noise or could it be a sign of u joint or other driveline issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:50 AM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Hi Mike-

I had the exact same issues after lifting my 97, only I had lifted it a bit more (RTE 3" which was more like 4"). Usually 2" doesn't screw stuff up, but each truck is a little different.

The lift and resultant driveline geometry changes brought up two issues for me, either of which might be your problem:

1. (Most likely) - The stock cv joint driveshaft is banging at the extremes of it's joint articulation when you release the throttle load and the truck's weight shifts forward a bit. - I fixed this by correcting rear driveline angle using modified trailing arms (and caster-correcting radius arms for the front, too, along with a front double cardon driveshaft)

2. My diffs were starting to go, and the change exacerbated the gear lash "feeling".

I wrote about this stuff in one of my old posts.

Good luck
Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Bajavet
Mike Copenhaver
'94 D90 ST

Thanks for the helpful and informative response Chris. I checked the U joints and they all felt tight. I greased all of them well(They appeared pretty dry). Then, as I was checking all of the fluid levels I noticed that both swivel pin housings were dead empty. I filled them and took it for a ride and the noise has now resolved. I hope nothing was damaged with the lack of oil in the swivel pin housings.

Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2011, 02:39 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

I experienced a major side to side vibration a couple times decelerating on a downhill angled road...scared the bajesus out of me because it felt like the mmore i braked the more it wobbled...never experienced it again, never figured out what it was...I also have a 2" lift kit :/ starting to connect the dots here..

(in my mind) i decided that the road was paved in an undulating way, aka a wavey way and at the speed at what I was going and the downhill steep of the road just all came together and casued it...not saying thats what happened with you but I just wanted to say that about me, i guess im going through a selfish phase

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions