Is This A Valid Assumption? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500
Is This A Valid Assumption?

Another weekend wasted chasing electrons!

If when hooked up to one vehicle the trailer lights function as they should with no anomalies with the trailer lights or vehicle lights and then when hooked up to another vehicle the vehicle's backup light come on when the other lights come on, can one assume that the trailer's wiring is OK and the problem lies with the vehicle's wiring?

I can not figure out how voltage can be getting to the backup light just because the trailer is hooked up. Can someone DRAW me a picture?

The Wizard
To paraphase "Oddball" (Donald Sutlerland, "Kelly's Heros", 1970) "I only drive 'em, I don't know how to fix them."
1994 Defender 90 No. 500
Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Trailers generally do not have back up lights, so there is no wiring for them on the trailer. Safe be the problem is in the vehicle.

Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Andy Radlgruber
'94 NAS D-90, 2.8 TGV
My guess is that the vehicle whose reverse light comes on has its reverse light wired into the plug on the vehicle side. If you can trace this wire with a multi-meter and remove it from the plug your problem should be solved.

The trailer is probably feeding back 12 volts or ground to this terminal and if it's removed your problem is solved. You can't really get a schematic because unless it is all installed at the factory, and even then it's hit and miss, there will be a lot of inconsistencies.
Some people are so heavenly minded that they are NO EARTHLY GOOD!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions