Is this a NAS? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

It does not appear to be NAS truck. VIN is not showing in any of the reports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wasn't there some company in the UK doing "NAS Style" conversions on UK trucks? That could be what's up in this case.

Oh, and as a side note, I keep seeing the acronym ROW all over the place. What does it stand for?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
ROW - Rest Of World

Technically refers to trucks intended for sale outside of EU and US markets. Presumably, one basic specification meets the requirements for many countries that don't have the same level of safety and emissions standards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

It has a bulkhead
The b pillar does not seem to have the rubber coating on it like the NAS trucks

Kind of a strange truck, I have only seen the footwell stickers on NAS trucks. Did other markets have the footwell stickers? I would vote NAS knock off but the sticker has me thinking a prototype
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The cage looks normal and correct, but I find the velour seats to be, well, shitty.

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs
GYM, Some may just tolerate RHD, but I Prefer it...something about it that just fits the truck.
x2. Especially with the dog in the other seat.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Wasn't there some company in the UK doing "NAS Style" conversions on UK trucks? That could be what's up in this case.
-Hans
Yeah frog island will build you one, but they are no where near a NAS, everything is wrong, just looks a bit like one.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas

Kind of a strange truck, I have only seen the footwell stickers on NAS trucks. Did other markets have the footwell stickers? I would vote NAS knock off but the sticker has me thinking a prototype
Hey Dave,

Yep, the footwell sticker was only on NAS trucks. Is it on the drivers side on a 1994??? Still looking for a pic of one to se whats on it

James

Follow-up Post:

Just solved one problem about the hood and cage with some info passed on thats on ECR:
"Believe it or not the early 1994 Defender 90s came standard with NO top (only a tonneau cover came with the vehicle), no rear safari cage, and the rear bench seat was an option as well. This "fastback" top (seen above on a 1995 D90) was an option and was about as cheaply as you could drive away a Defender 90 that actually had a roof. The fastback versions are quite rare today."
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:37 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My guess is its a prototype also. It does not look like a butchered copy. Has most of the NAS traits to it.
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

I spy with my little eye....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nas.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	22905  
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:16 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I saw that, but it's not as big as the normal plate.

Old November 12th, 2009, 08:23 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Frogs Island had a few at Billing back in the late 90's. A local women made the tops.
http://www.frogsisland4x4.com/index....d=45&Itemid=98

Old November 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The UK has so many defenders and the NAS look is popular ... I think it's just something someone put together maybe with a few genuine parts. A genuine cage was probably available from Safety Devices back in the day ... they were very popular brand ... I had one in one of my cars!

The chances that it's a prototype and has stayed in the original form all these years are pretty unlikely.

Defenders are common as muck in the UK and if you looked hard enough you could find lots of NAS replicas!
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968
I spy with my little eye....
I thought that is a 50 year sticker, the bottom one in the first pic.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce
The UK has so many defenders and the NAS look is popular ... I think it's just something someone put together maybe with a few genuine parts. A genuine cage was probably available from Safety Devices back in the day ... they were very popular brand ... I had one in one of my cars!

The chances that it's a prototype and has stayed in the original form all these years are pretty unlikely.

Defenders are common as muck in the UK and if you looked hard enough you could find lots of NAS replicas!
The thing is if you put this together with parts your talking chassis, body, cage, engine, axles ... so would be the whole car. This is also a land rover registered vehicle.

There are lots of NAS replicas here, but they dont come close, this is one we had for a while and it was just cool but not a NAS as its built on a 300tdi, done by frog island.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stickers.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	22906   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01352 (Small).JPG
Views:	131
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	22907  

Name:	DSC01351 (Small).JPG
Views:	123
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	22908  
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:28 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I just put the VIN into microcat, and the only data it shows (As it's too old to have the full data in the software) is that it's a factory 4.0EFI HC with 5 speed manual.

Well, LR never made any (UK or euro) production 4.0 V8 defenders, so i'd assume that it was certainly a prototype if not a production model that slipped through the net.

The VIn also brings up that numberplate (L840PAC) so that's the original licence plate it had since it's birth.
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Someone could write to LR traceability and see where it originally sold to etc. Would be interesting to get a closer look and see if it has the door jamb sticker., and see what it has for axles i.e. does it have the vented discs. And a bunch of other details the NAS nabobs can then chatter on about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
I just put the VIN into microcat,
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim

Well, LR never made any (UK or euro) production 4.0 V8 defenders, so i'd assume that it was certainly a prototype if not a production model that slipped through the net.

Too much time has passed for me to edit my post, i meant to write:

LR never made any production 4.0 manual defenders, of course i'd forgotten the 50th anniversary, but that was a 4.0 with auto.
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

That has to be a prototype. There is no way that sticker made it on some clone and everything else is too close to being right. Also, note how it has a painted belt rail on the driver's side rear of the tub. Weird for something with snaps. Also, it has the newer style clutch pedal. Early 1994 NAS trucks had the fat series style. Also, the door panels look a bit different and they have no tubes for the speaker wires.
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23
haha I guess... probably should of said something like the cool factor of having a 300 tdi....

hey... i think you were behind me on the Northway this afternoon... speaking of 300 Tdi... i had my other TDI today.. a black 2010 VW Golf.

a few of us are offroading at Rok-Park tomorrow if interested...
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman
hey... i think you were behind me on the Northway this afternoon... speaking of 300 Tdi... i had my other TDI today.. a black 2010 VW Golf.

a few of us are offroading at Rok-Park tomorrow if interested...
Cool! I just saw this post otherwise I would have came up today... I am going to PM you my cell number... give me a ring...
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

cancelling due to the rain today. tomorrow is going to be nicer.... so you still have a chance to wheel this weeked.

check your PM's

FYI, Rok-Park is over in Fonda, .. not up here in Luzerne. I can meet you just past Rock City Falls on 29 tomorrow if you want to follow me out. Not sure if i'm wheeling the 90 or the buggy. Won't know 'til i see who all is planning on showing up tomorow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
nas