Is this a good deal? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Milo
chris glynn
95 yellow D90

Is this a good deal?

I took my 95 in for 60k service and the shop said that it had coolant leaking down the side of the engine and I needed a new head gasket, Also need U-joinst F&R and R rotors and pads So they said they give me a bulk deal for $2000. I know its need work but I never overheated. Should I just do it or get a 2nd opinion and is this a fair deal? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Get second opinion. You should be able to see the coolant on the outside of the block by the rear cyclinders. My stealership gave me the same story. If your not over heating, I doubt you need head gaskets yet...

EwS
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:59 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I was quoted @ $1300 for a head gasket job for an overheating issue. I would get another opinion before commiting. I did and it cost me only a couple hunderd dollars to replace the viscus coupling and its been fine ever since. Much better than the $1300 and I would have still have the overheating problem.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2004, 07:26 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Leak...

I was recently quoted $1300 to replace the head gasket and redo the heads while he was in there. But the wrench said not to even worry about it and just watch the engine temp gauge. So far in 95' weather no prob's.
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:17 AM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Head Gasket...

Speaking of replacing head gaskets - has anyone done this themselves? I am considering vs. giving the wrench $500-$700.

Michael
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have talked to some that have, I have been told it is a 2 weekend job, the first weekend you disassemble everything, during the week you bring the heads to a shop so they can check to see if they are warped and if they are they can mill them flat. Then the second weekend you reassemble everything. The job can be done in a day by someone who has done it a couple times before as long as there are no problems. I say 2 weekends even though you could do it in one on your first try but then if you have problems you are not rushed. I think the biggest problem I hear allot is getting the head bolts out as they have to be torked in a citrine order and they are going into aluminum so they can get stripped and break fairly easy. One other thing, the best thing you can do for yourself is to clear a large area to put parts as you remove them. I think LRM just did an article on this a month or 2 ago.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions