Is the rear bulkhead necessary when I have an internal rollcage? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 17th, 2015, 07:16 AM
emj
Erik
1990 ex military 110 Tithonus

Is the rear bulkhead necessary when I have an internal rollcage?

I plan to fit two Puma fold up forward facing seats as second row seating in my 1990 110 Tithonus hard top. I want to also keep the pair of inward facing bench seats in the load area which means that if I fit the Puma seats, there won't be very much leg room for passengers who sit in them as their feat will hit the rear bulkhead.

I would like to remove the rear bulkhead and have been researching options for bulkhead removal bars but I was wondering whether it is even necessary to fit a bulkhead removal bar as my Defender has an internal rollcage fitted by the British military that provides lateral support. I understand the rear bulkhead provides some lateral stiffness but if I have the rollcage already, is it necessary to fit a support bar or can I just cut it away and rely on the rollcage for the same purpose?

Attache is an image of the internal rollcage for reference. The the vertical sections of the rollcage behind the seat connect to the angled part of the stepped area in the tub, directly behind the front seats. It looks to be connected at the same place that I would need to connect the vertical support for a bulkhead removal bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal rollcage.png
Views:	474
Size:	619.7 KB
ID:	116211  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2015, 07:27 AM
supercharged67gt
Andy
64 series IIa x3

Registry
as long as you have some lateral support you should be fine. and yours looks more than fine from that picture. I just removed mine a few weeks ago also =) ( http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ius-56671.html )

good luck! cage looks real nice btw !
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
look @ the Mud Stuff Uk removal kit. Much nicer and cleaner way to go imo than the ugly pipework versions.

MUD Bulkhead Removal Bar - Seat Rails and Bulkhead Removal - Products

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2015, 09:41 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
I removed my bulkhead completely and then tied the tub sides onto the roll cage, check out my thread b777onr

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:51 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

While agreeing with the above and looking at your location...won't the TUV have something to say on the subject?
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:54 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

If you remove the bulkhead, but keep the cage, what are you gaining as the X brace and gun support remain in the way?

Old March 17th, 2015, 02:12 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
legroom, I'm guessing.
Old March 17th, 2015, 03:14 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

I cut mine completely out of the '71 88". It allowed the seats to slide further back providing much desired legroom. I never had any issues crop up.
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:55 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Thanks for the link Jeff- but does the Tithonus cage set back the extra 4" as discussed in the build thread?

Old March 24th, 2015, 06:51 AM
emj
Erik
1990 ex military 110 Tithonus

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Removing the rear bulkhead won't add any legroom for the driver (well, maybe a half an inch) as the driver's seat would just hit the X brace of the rollcage instead of the bulkhead.

My goal here is to obtain extra legroom for the passengers sitting in the second row. I intend to add some Puma forward facing seats while retaining my set of inward facing seats in the load area. With the rear bulkhead in place, legroom for passengers in the second row area would be very, very tight. If I cut out the bulkhead, it would improve it somewhat. I also don't really like the bulkhead and would prefer a more open space but this is a secondary concern.

I looked at the Mud bulkhead removal bar, it does look very nice but it it doesn't really help my goal of obtaining extra legspace for the passengers.

As for the TUV, you are correct, I will not make any modifications until I return to the US.

It sounds like the consensus is that it would be safe to cut out the bulkhead given the fact that I have the X brace of the roll cage in place.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage