Is Supercharging the 4.0 Dangerous? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2005, 02:46 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Is Supercharging the 4.0 Dangerous?

I was reading the rpi site today and noticed it made note of a problem with supercharging the 4.0 liter rover engine claiming that the supercharger is too small for the engine and that it causes detonation in the rear two cylinders eventually leading to a ruined engine. I am looking at a 97 4.0 with an eaton blower and this info certainly put a scare into me. I was hoping those with a similar setup or experience might put it up here and help me out and hopefully put my mind at ease or if not save me the ruined engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

It's really not the supercharger that is at faut, it's that the engine isn't designed to take a forced injection system.

To do it properly, you would be better off building the complete engine from the bottom-up to take a supercharger. But it gets cost prohibitive real fast, and you're better off just building a solid naturally aspirated engine.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Disco_Stu
Stuart
2000 DII

There was some good info on this subject in this thread.

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showt...ht=supercharge

Follow-up Post:

Also one thing I am interested in is that Land Rover released a Range Rover in 1997 called the SSE which came with a supercharged engine. But I have never been able to find out if the block had any changes whatsoever. I haven't ever found anything that says it contained any unique internals.

-Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2005, 06:27 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

The owner says he has never had any problems and I also spoke to the mechanic who services his vehicle and it sounded as if there has never been a problem. It sounds like a very controversial idea and once a setup goes bad everyone quotes it as a curse on any rover. Forced induction is fairly common, much moreso than turbos, and I feel like maybe it is getting a bad reputation only becuase of a few failures that seem to be quoted again and again. Let alone the rpi chaps who of course wouldn't back a blower because their business is naturally aspirated v8s. That said I think like any modification it can be a boon if not taken care of properly. The owner told me he watches the injectors and filters very closely and also keeps his foot out of the 90 as not to run too much boost. That said the system is of the Eaton type but not an M90 which most harp on, it is instead an M62 and was setup by Rimmer. Any other inputs here?
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Disco_Stu
Stuart
2000 DII

Hey Christian, did the previous owner quote any figure from the setup, such as boost, HP, or torque values? I know there are several 90's running around the country with that setup, and it seems as long as you keep the engine in good order, and of course care for everything the way you should even without a blower it can be a solid setup. Also do you know if there were any ECU modifications done? Or is it using the stock mappings?

-Stuart
Old March 7th, 2005, 10:04 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I have a Magnusson/Eaton supercharger. I've owned the truck for about 18mo and have never had an issue with it. I don't know how long it was in there before I owned it as I never knew the previous owner. I have had 2 mechanics look at it and they both felt it should not be a issue for concern. I have a boost gauge so I can monitor if it's being used or not. I try not to let it boost and around town it not much of an issue; however, going uphill especially on the highway it's hard not to let it boost. I have heard bad things about the Rimmer Supercharges not the Eaton. There are plenty of D-90's running the Superchargers, I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you don't abuse it and like Stuart said just take care of the truck with proper maintenance.
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:02 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
I also have a Rimmer supercharger,Knock on wood no problems yet.I have alot of power going up long hills compared to my wife's stock d-90.The truck has done over 100mph on long straight hwys with the 36" swampers.I think the supercharger was put at aprox 30k and the truck just cleared 60k.The only maintenance required so far has been supercharger oil from ford( supercharged thunderbird) as preventive maintenance .Only draw back so far is the fuel ,but then again it's a d-90 (naturally thirsty).
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Not to hijack your thread here but, does the supercharger really help out much? What kind of gains do you get from it? How much boost? How much affect to gas mileage? Thanks in advance.
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:24 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

From what I understand about the Eaton M62 and M90 the gains are usually in the range of 40% or so, thus on a 4.0 rover engine you are looking at total horsepower in the 250 range or so. Thanks to all the guys who replied who actually have a similar setup, its nice to hear good things from someone who has one versus bad things from those who don't own one. I would be more than willing to entertain all the criticisms just seems everyone has a friend who had problems.
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Disco_Stu
Stuart
2000 DII

So David, do you know how much boost you are setup to tun? You said you have a boost guage, what is the most boost you have seen? What about during normal flatland driving?

just curious
Old March 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

The most boost I get is just under 6 PSI, During flat steady normal driving 0 PSI. The only time that changes is if I punch it to pass someone or get in front of them at a light (NYC driving), then it jumps to almost 6 PSI. It only boosts during hard acceleration and when trying to maintain speed on grade. Depending on the grade is what would dictate the boost, i.e. slight short grade might yield a 2 PSI boost. Hope this helps, and the added power is extremely noticeable, like night and day.
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:08 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

How far into the gutter has your mileage gone with the supercharger? I think of it this way: the average seems to be about 200 miles per tank for the 3.9L D90 (at least that's what I get and what I've seen posted here as being typical). How many miles before you are running dry?

I guess if you are not boosting, it's about the same, eh?
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Disco_Stu
Stuart
2000 DII

I don't know about his setup in particular, but most low psi supercharger installs tend to give a slight increase in gas mileage when driven the same as before. Yeah you are pushing a slightly greater amount of fuel through, but since you are still using the stock injectors flow rate doesn't go up drastically. Typically they attribute it to the fact that you can maintain greater power with less throttle so there is less fuel being delivered at most times. Although if you drive like you've got a blower, then it will be the same as driving your stocker with your foot on the floorboard the whole time.
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

well, when I first got the truck I monitored the MPG pretty closely. Depending on the driving it ranged between 11-13 MPG. Most of my daily driving is in the city and therefore tends to be low usually in the 11 range. Luckily I have a dual tank set-up with an aux fuel pump and have had to use it a few times as I sometimes forget to look at the gas gauge until it's too late.
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:18 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Well, I didn't think the extra fuel being pushed through was the problem - I thought it was the increased load on the engine to drive the supercharger.

In a turbocharger, the mileage is generally better than a similar blown vehicle because you are harnessing 'wasted' energy for very little extra load (additional backpressure offset by the forced induction) while in a supercharger you pay for that air compression directly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions