Is my transmission always low on fluid? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 12th, 2007, 08:48 PM
cpk
Corey K-nig
1993 NAS Defender 110

Is my transmission always low on fluid?

So I'm underneath putting in new fluid in the transmission and I started thinking. Do I have to have the wheels rolling to activate the pump in the tranny while I'm filling it up? I filled it up until it started to dribble out the hole. Once I start to drive it will the pump push a large volume of fluid up to the cooler leaving the level of fluid in the transmission lower? Because there are breather hoses, I think this allows all the fluid to drain out of the cooler into the case when the Rover is at rest? Does this make sense or does the cooler remain filled with fluid all the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Nah man. If its the R-380 its good when it starts running down your sleeve. Fill it up and check when you change your oil. And if its and R380 (manual w/ reverse to the lower right) it doesnt have a cooler or pump. You can over fill by jack the passenger side up but I dont think its worth it. What kinda fluid did you put back in?
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:29 AM
cpk
Corey K-nig
1993 NAS Defender 110

It is a rebuilt R380 I got from Rob Dassler. I've been putting Royal Purple Synchromax in it, suggested by Rob. It had the piece on the side that the cooler lines go into so I think it does have a pump though. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Corey,
Fill it, drive it to warm it up & fill the lines, recheck & top up as necessary. If the lines were empty you may have to add a few ounces.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission