Is it true? Service engine light reset? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2006, 02:17 AM
thelandroverguy
Vince
1997 D-90 ST

Is it true? Service engine light reset?

I searched the forum and found the link about resetting the 1997 D-90 service engine light. The box is located behind the fuse box in the center cosole. The link talks about removing the center console and pretty much states that it is a PITA to do.

Has anyone come up with a short cut on getting to the box. Need to reset the lamp. A smog test is due on the rig.

Thanks,

Vincent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2006, 10:10 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Super short cut could just be remove bulb.
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Why not just find out what the code is and fix it? PITA going back and forth to those damn emmissions tests and dealing with the surly staff there...

Removing the bulb won't work if they hook into your diagnostic plug like they do here in IL. I think you guys are the same in CA.

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2006, 01:38 PM
thelandroverguy
Vince
1997 D-90 ST

True, you are talking about the Check Engine Lamp. Yes, you retrive the code and fix the problem. You are correct.

My item is the Service Engine Lamp. It is the emmission service timer. The box is located behind the fuse block in the center console.
Old November 4th, 2006, 09:26 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I removed its bulb. Emissions testing has nothing to do with it so if they don't see the light you're OK. Running like this for two years now.
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:29 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

So does this service engine light come on after a certain amount of miles? I just turned 80K and now mine is on. I get no code from the OBDII and everything seems to be running fine. Is it telling me that my O2 sensors are worn out?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
So does this service engine light come on after a certain amount of miles? I just turned 80K and now mine is on. I get no code from the OBDII and everything seems to be running fine. Is it telling me that my O2 sensors are worn out?
Nevermind, I found my answer.
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

If I'm not mistaken, the light comes on after a predetermined mileage. It is merely to get you to change your O2 sensors. I reset mine only to be running rich for over a year and just now finding a code on my OBD1 of a bad left bank Lambda sensor. I am going tp replace both and see what happens. I would just change them when you're supposed to. You own a valuable vehicle so don't be so cheap by trying to ignore it. Running rich for too long can really screw things up inside. Get em cheap at places like oxygensensors.com.
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:25 AM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

The Service engine light is only connected to the brown box (on a 97 this is behind the fuse panel second from the left (first on left is the flasher)). Yes you have to remove the center console to get to this. It comes on at 82500 approx. Reset it by shorting the contacts behind the land rover sticker, or just unplug the box and throw it away, or ignore the light, or remove the warning lamp. Again, all this does is tell you that the truck has gone 82500 miles and is not connected to the OBD system at all.
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:57 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Have any of you spliced new O2 sensors in as opposed to buying the direct plug-ins? The direct plug-ins are around $95 while you can purchase ones to splice in for approx. $30 assuming that you get the right number of wires of coarse.
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yes, splicing is no problem. I used a double crimping plastic wire joint and shrink tubing over it. Also duck taped the joint because I was paranoid.

Where can you get '97 O2's for $30?
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Here's the O2 sensors for the D90:

http://www.autopartsauthority.com/pa...sor&my=1&cat=h
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:20 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Again..where are they for $30???
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:28 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

If you read my post closely, I said approx. $30. Now if you look at the middle o2 sensor on the link I gave you called "replacement" they are listed for $28.95. Anything else????
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:37 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Oops...I swear that cheap one didn't show up when I visited the link. I'm not that blind!

I'd probably stay away from a no name brand.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:12 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Oops...I swear that cheap one didn't show up when I visited the link. I'm not that blind!

I'd probably stay away from a no name brand.

No worries.

I am also pretty leery of the cheapos.

Does anyone know about these O2 sensors in general? Would these cheap versions be acceptable?
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM
ltwt88
Norman Barden
97 d90

Also, the Service engine light comes on as a reminder of the emission service needed. There is more than just the O2 sensors. There are two vacuum lines that need to be replaced as well as the oil seperator. To see what is needed (and buy, or to find out and buy somewhere else) go to the AB site and search for the emission service kit. The two hoses are the 'L' shaped from the plenum to the RH valve cover and the 'S' shaped on the LH valve cover....for the '97 D-90s anyway. Just FYI.
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:52 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I was reading this thread in hopes there were some words of wisdom re: the same "check engine" light problem I'm having. I get the usual misfire codes. After resetting the codes and replacing the plugs and the wires (old wires were arching) the light stayed off for about 5 miles. The engine idles rough (a slight bounce when sitting still) and I'm concerned if all the fuel is not burning off it will destroy my cats (at least that's what I've been told will eventually happen over time).

Any suggestions of what else I can trouble shoot?
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:42 PM
ltwt88
Norman Barden
97 d90

what are the exact codes? I had this problem awhile back and it took forever to track it down. Could be one of several things.
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I'll need to re-do it and get back with you. That would be seet if you find I've got the same problem you experienced. Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, ht, service