Is it ok to run 4 guage wire from Alternator to battery? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736 View Post
So New run from the alt output to the battery and bypass the starter junction all together?
I believe this is what he is saying, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736 View Post
I am assuming then you would need a run from the bat back to the starter junction?
No this already exists, although you would probably want to replace it too for good measure.

word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

remember you have to charge a cap, its just a very special battery in its simplest form, but its made to have the repeated short, intense load on it that amp produce.
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:31 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Just be careful... a battery cannot kill you... the cap can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

very true, hooked one up backwards once, blew every fuse related to the stereo
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Ok to update this thread, it turned out its my fault, I forgot to attach the chassis eyelet on the ground strap. I did hook up the transmission strap, and it looks like the amps were trying to get ground from the roll cage, to the chassis, through the motor/tranny mounts, and then the - on the cable. Crazy. So I put it back and it still does dim but not as bad as it did. Also i did the 4 guage alternator wire swap from the alt straight to the battery and bipassed the old brown wire. The voltage reads 14.5 instead of 14.2 on the digital read out of the capacitor. So it helped a lot thats for sure. So just to let you guys know, it will definately make a big difference. thanks everyone. Oh and I did charge the cap before I installed it.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator, battery