Is it ok to mount a 200tdi to an engine stand? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 13th, 2009, 04:54 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Is it ok to mount a 200tdi to an engine stand?

Is it ok to mount a 200tdi to an engine stand? The engine stand is the standard style with 4 ears that I have used in the past with small block Chevy motors and foreign 4 cyl gas motors.

I assume that I should remove the aluminum adapter that goes between the motor and bell housing then mount it directly to the block since the block is cast iron and the adapter is aluminum?

Probably being a bit paranoid but I just want to make sure since I do not want to damage the motor.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2009, 05:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I mounted a series engine to one.
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I did some more searching on google using the following and found a few diffrent pictures of 200tdi mounted to stands. Some people mounted it to the block and other mounted it to the alum adapter.

"200tdi" + "engine stand"

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?sh...t=#entry249357

I am a bit paranoid so I think I will remove teh alum adapter and mount it to the block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I had a 200tdi with flywheel adapter on an engine stand for six months - changing timing belt, etc - without an issue.
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:06 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Thanks Chris
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:41 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I've had them on a stand both ways. Mounted to the turbo side block and to the flywheel housing. Generally go with the flywheel housing as it just seems easier. Warning; the fawkin things are heavy and if you decide to flip it over in the stand be prepared to deal with some interesting dynamics !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Is there any reason not to just cut the mount-arm tubes short and use the flywheel/clutch housing studs to mount the engine to the stand? I suspect it would be a whole lot less work assuming everything still has enough clearance (which it appears to have) and considering a stand is about $50 now not a big deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I just pulled 4 of the studs and used the proper length bolts. I would think that would be less work than cutting down the arms.

Also if I remember correct there was very little space with the arms at the stock size
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:44 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Do you recall what proper length ended up being?

Old July 4th, 2009, 04:03 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Sorry, I do not

It is still on the stand but it is packed away at the moment and who knows if the stand would even be the same.

Just remove 1 of the studs and measure the thread and add the length of the stand ear and take the stud down to the local hardware store. Get some extra flat washers as well
Old July 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Yeah, I guessed and texted the GF since she has my vehicle Hopefully I can get this mounted today because my next window is in about 2 weeks.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Got it into the stand last night after a nightmare finding bolts, but now just need to figure out how to use the crane to get the thing outside so I can wash it (I have a 5" drop from the shop to the ground )

Old July 6th, 2009, 05:21 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
Got it into the stand last night after a nightmare finding bolts, but now just need to figure out how to use the crane to get the thing outside so I can wash it (I have a 5" drop from the shop to the ground )
Yeah, be careful as the engines can get a little "top heavy" when on those stands...

I build up a 300Tdi a few years back, and by the time it was fully dressed it wouldn't have taken much to top it over.
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

FWIW I've had Perkins 4.203 engines (heavy engines) 3 times on a stand like this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32915

I bolted it to the rear face of the block since I was completely rebuilding them and had to R&R the crankshaft also.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:22 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
Yeah, be careful as the engines can get a little "top heavy" when on those stands...

I build up a 300Tdi a few years back, and by the time it was fully dressed it wouldn't have taken much to top it over.
Yes, I found this out. I think I will make an adapter plate to centre it more if I do this more frequently. The non-bearing rotation sleeve combined with the tiny handle they provided and it isn't coming back vertical alone. Some kind of crank and chain setup might be in order.

Old July 6th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
Yes, I found this out. I think I will make an adapter plate to centre it more if I do this more frequently. The non-bearing rotation sleeve combined with the tiny handle they provided and it isn't coming back vertical alone.
I can't imagine it being any more top heavy than a Perkins. Mine doesn't have a handle so I just lifted the engine and rotated it back up by hand.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, engine, mount, tdi