Is "diesel 2" here in Ca bad for TDI 300? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM
EdHsu
Ed Hsu

Is "diesel 2" here in Ca bad for TDI 300?

I have heard that the newer diesel like the one here in California, Diesel 2, does not have enough something in comparison to the old diesel, which can be harmful to the 300TDI. Is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Diesel all over the US is SH*T! You should use an additive whenever possible

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:40 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

What do you mean? I can't just fill up at any truck stop with confidence? What additives?

As long as we're talking fuel, is home fuel usable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2004, 08:00 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm sure US diesel is better than 3rd world diesel despite being a bit sulphurous - and thats being legislated out already. I'm not worrying about it.
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:19 PM
torero
Christophe LELONG

Question diesel 2

The question is:"why a diesel 2"
I'm not sure, but the new diesel engines with hight pressure injection ( about 20,000 psi for a td5 )need a top quality diesel.It must be free of water and dust.The fuel filters of these cars must be the most efficient as possible and need a water trap.Maybe that's why a diesel 2 appears.
If it's that, you can use it in a 300 tdi, it will be better.
What is the part of diesel engines in US ?In France it's 60 % due to low taxes.
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:34 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Less than 2% of personal vehicles in the US are diesel, and only VW, Mercedes and the truck manufacturers offer diesels (though there is a new Jeep diesel coming out).

You have to remember that Americans as a rule are a wasteful lot who dont value economy and the tax laws encourage that wastefulness.

Old September 17th, 2004, 10:04 AM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
The Smart diesel is about to be launched in Canada - not sure about the US. We also get a few more sensible hatchbacks than down south - like the Yaris/Echo. At least the Mini has been a success, showing that small sensible cars can be sold if they are good enough.
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:35 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I'm not familiar with how diesel 2 differs from the previous version. I have heard that the sulfur (lubricating agent) is being reduced significantly. If you're running a diesel, it would be worth checking the sulfur content and, if necessary, add some lubricating agent.

Interestingly, I read that running 0.5% biodiesel will more than make up for the lack lubrication with the lower sulfur fuel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, tdi