Is a D2 transfercase a direct replacement? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Is a D2 transfercase a direct replacement?

Need to swap out my Tcase and was hoping to do it with a Q box from a D2 to take advantage of the quieter box and according to Buck the elimination of the drivetrain slop. Anyone know if this bolts right on? Input shafts etc all the same? Need to decide which one to buy today so any info would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2009, 10:21 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I know you PMed me.

DII is not a direct swap. The front output flange has a different bolt pattern and the rear housing does not have the right fitting for the speedo drive. Also, many DII cases do not have the nipple for the Center Diff Lock.

With your old case and the DII case, you could probably make it work by swapping parts around.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:35 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Thanks Ron. I figured you were busy. Thanks for the info. I dont want to mess with swapping parts so I guess Ill just go with the D1 case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM
evilfij
evilfij

There were DI cases that are LT230Q. Late 1997-1999. Whatever you get, pull the solinoid and make sure the speedo thing is correct on the rear output housing. At the moment I can't recall whether or not a GEMS DI case is the same rear output housing as a 94/95 D90 or not. I believe it is but I don't want to swear to it. Roverguy would know and he is $350 shipped on cases.

Ron
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Thanks Ron. I figured you were busy. Thanks for the info. I dont want to mess with swapping parts so I guess Ill just go with the D1 case.
Thats true about the output shaft. But don't let that scare you, the shaft is just one bolt. I used my old one, and then switched to the new one as that is bigger and stronger if you run custom shafts. The speedo cable on mine bolted right in.

I would call Eddie at WCR with questions. I like this box much better than my old one, but I changed a few other things at the same time so I don't know how much improvement is in the box itself.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I know you PMed me.

DII is not a direct swap. The front output flange has a different bolt pattern and the rear housing does not have the right fitting for the speedo drive. Also, many DII cases do not have the nipple for the Center Diff Lock.

With your old case and the DII case, you could probably make it work by swapping parts around.
very few cases don't have the locking mechanism as it was predominately the 02s and 03s, yes i know some 01s but very few.

and like Buck says the swapping of parts is simple since both cases are out of the truck.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:52 AM
evilfij
evilfij

The speedo cable thing is what bothers me. I know I sold a rear output housing or two throughout the years to people to sort out issues with them, but I don't have the stuff in front of me to compare and figure out what works with what or not.

Buck is right about the flange, but no Center Diff Lock nipple would be a HUGE deal breaker. You can sell the DII flange for $30 if you pull it or run a rebuilt DII shaft (same length as D90 front and they are double cardon).
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:55 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
There were DI cases that are LT230Q. Late 1997-1999. Whatever you get, pull the solinoid and make sure the speedo thing is correct on the rear output housing. At the moment I can't recall whether or not a GEMS DI case is the same rear output housing as a 94/95 D90 or not. I believe it is but I don't want to swear to it. Roverguy would know and he is $350 shipped on cases.

Ron
Got it thanks Ron. So I should be looking for a Q out of a late D1.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Thats true about the output shaft. But don't let that scare you, the shaft is just one bolt. I used my old one, and then switched to the new one as that is bigger and stronger if you run custom shafts. The speedo cable on mine bolted right in.

I would call Eddie at WCR with questions. I like this box much better than my old one, but I changed a few other things at the same time so I don't know how much improvement is in the box itself.
Thanks Buck Ill call Eddie before I buy the case.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Got it thanks Ron. So I should be looking for a Q out of a late D1.

Follow-up Post:

Thanks Buck Ill call Eddie before I buy the case.
If you really want a Q box, yes.

Ron
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:59 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Id like a quieter and stronger box so it sounds like that is the best solution.
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Id like a quieter and stronger box so it sounds like that is the best solution.
The diff is what fails and that is the same throughout all LT230s from what I can tell.

As far as quieter, I don't know how you can hear a T-case in a D90 unless the T-case was completely hosed. A half a bottle of lucas oil stabilzer would make it quieter too (I run that in my series truck).
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:57 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
and what about the slop?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s

I spoke to Eddie and it sounds like as long as the box has the diff ock selector its a direct bolt on you just need to change the output flange.
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij

"and what about the slop?"

Depends on what it is coming from. Sometimes the slop is in the center diff, sometimes it is wear on the input/output shafts, sometimes it is driveshaft u-joint wear, sometime it is front and rear diff wear. IMHO the amount of slop caused by the gears which are different between an LT230T and an LT230Q is minimal. It is somewhat quieter, but slop reduction is not noticable unless your T-case, which it might well have been, was hosed (IMHO, IME).

edit: if you want a D90 output flange I will trade you for the DII output flange.

edit2: I could have sworn the speedo drive was different on a DII case. Anyone else confirm that Eddie at WCR is right about the DII being the same?
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
and what about the slop?

Follow-up Post:

I spoke to Eddie and it sounds like as long as the box has the diff ock selector its a direct bolt on you just need to change the output flange.
Hey,

I should be more specific and say that although I was told the Q stood for quiet, I never noticed any noise before or after. I have a diesel and no top or doors so I a
can't hear anything anyway! The slop however is gone. Big difference.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, there were two other things I did that could have affected this. I got rid of the front radius arms. I think some slop can be attributed to pinion lift as you floor it and then the "slack" you feel as the energy transfers back to the tires. Anyway, the other is racing fluid in the diffs. It's a long shot but the shock absorbtion properties could affect slop.

Evil is right, the box is no stronger. The front output is bigger allowing a better custom shaft, but that's all. I still think you will like the Q better. I do.

Eddie rocks! Cheers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
[QUOTE=evilfij]"and what about the slop?"

Depends on what it is coming from. Sometimes the slop is in the center diff, sometimes it is wear on the input/output shafts, sometimes it is driveshaft u-joint wear, sometime it is front and rear diff wear. IMHO the amount of slop caused by the gears which are different between an LT230T and an LT230Q is minimal. It is somewhat quieter, but slop reduction is not noticable unless your T-case, which it might well have been, was hosed (IMHO, IME).

My slop was really bad and the whine was very loud which is probably why my Tcase broke without being wheeled that hard so you are probably right I wont notice much difference between the two.
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij

You probably will notice a big difference like buck did because your old case was shot.
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
There is a part from Toddco to convert CDL less T-Case to CDL for 200ish

andI know where there is a 33k 03 t-case very cheap *LOL*
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I have a tcase from an 04 Disco that's available. Prob needs a rebuild though.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I know there are a number of electronic sensors on the D2 case that are not present on the D1 case. This may not be an issue when swapping backwards but when going forwards (D1 to D2) it is.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:37 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

not sure why and it may be due to owner issues, but I have relaced "Q" boxes at least 2 to 1 over even the old non cross drilled 110 / Range Rover boxes. Especialy those in the '97 D-90's which I have had to junk in pretty much every '97 that has been through the shop....(although I'd guess that many of them were in the shop for a bad t-case anyhow).

Some of the later DII's have no speedo drive at all in the rear output....even if they are selectable.

Get a rebuilt unit from Rob and put your troubles away.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac