irregular ticking noise 2.5 diesel - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Sounds like an injector sticking/clicking after listening to the video. Did you scope the timing cover? Have you done the belt on it? I've had the belt loose a strand and randomly slap the inside of the cover. I've seen it more then once. Just throw'n stuff out there…but it does sound like an injector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2015, 08:35 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverchef View Post
Sounds like an injector sticking/clicking after listening to the video. Did you scope the timing cover? Have you done the belt on it? I've had the belt loose a strand and randomly slap the inside of the cover. I've seen it more then once. Just throw'n stuff out there…but it does sound like an injector.
Interesting. I don't quite understand how mechanical injectors inject. So I can't imagine the noise. I'll scope them.

It does not stutter at all. It is very "smooth" for a diesel.

I have done the timing belt on it. I don't know the quality of the part, but.. its only got a few thousand KMs on it. (belt on a diesel. )

It DOES only happen when warm. Doesn't have to be right off the highway "hot". It did it this morning at the first stop light I hit.. about 10 minutes in.

this ticking noise is very irregular. Sometimes ticks happen nearly on top of each-other. It couldn't really be 1 cylinder. If the lift pump was weak and multiple injectors were not operating properly, I suppose that could be an issue. But I would expect a stutter.

Another possibility is the harmonic balancer. Something loose...bearing, rod cap, timing train somewhere. I don't think its the alternator, but the water pump could echo through the engine, and at a high pitch. I ought to shoot some video in slow-mo. iPhone Slomo is slow enough to capture individual cylinders at idle. Sounds like a ship engine. chug chug chug chug.
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:23 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Mine made a funny noise. It was the fan hitting the shroud. It seems the fan was a little warped over the years. I trimmed some off the blade that was hitting, and I've got a new fan and clutch to go on at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2015, 09:32 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Mechanical injector are spring loaded to a certain pressure and then puke the diesel.
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:42 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Mine made a funny noise. It was the fan hitting the shroud. It seems the fan was a little warped over the years. I trimmed some off the blade that was hitting, and I've got a new fan and clutch to go on at some point.
Be nice if it was that. But I didn't have a fan at the time.

------ Follow up post added May 28th, 2015 12:44 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
Mechanical injector are spring loaded to a certain pressure and then puke the diesel.
So, a "sticking" injector would be popping off... under low pressure causing the diesel equivalent of spark knock? Get the same effect as over advanced fuel timing?
Old May 28th, 2015, 07:54 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
It sounds like it. If it was my engine I would go have them check in a diesel shop. They have a test bench for injectors. At the same time they will check the spray pattern and leakage. A leaky injector will go trough a piston head in a short time. Mind as well to take parts off and check before breaking the engine in two. If there's no culprits at all, then you'll have to take the head off. Might worth it to have the injection pump out and take it to the diesel shop at the same time. Lucas pump are common and a good shop should be able to check/reset it to manufacture settings.

My two cents, and I hope this helps!
Old May 28th, 2015, 08:56 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Is consensus that it sounds like an injector?

not a bad idea to check it out. First I think I'll find my true engine scope and give it a good once over. No joy with the fiberglass rod in finding anything.

I'll hit up the yellow pages (metaphorically speaking) and find a diesel shop. Hopefully without having to drive 100 miles.

A full set of injectors is just a hare over the price of "peace of mind". But i'll see how much bench testing costs/distance and weigh it against new injectors.

I'll find my local Massey Furguson shop and bring the injector pump there. JK... Are these pumps actually "common" in the US? I hear the old ford tractor pumps are all but bolt on replacements.

Ugh.. but that means taking off the whole timing cover again and re-indexing when done. Oh well. 6 of one.
Old May 28th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you think it is an injector, it is super easy to check. Just loosen off the fuel line to each injector in turn. That stops that injector from doing anything. If the noise goes away, that is it.

Personally I doubt it.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:02 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If you think it is an injector, it is super easy to check. Just loosen off the fuel line to each injector in turn. That stops that injector from doing anything. If the noise goes away, that is it.

Personally I doubt it.
You were in the "diesels are noisy" camp. Thanks for that, didn't occur to me to do that test. I can do that easy.

I hope you're the right answer. I mean, obviously it is something that's not supposed to be there.. but sometimes you do get noises that never develop.
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is something loose and knocking but I doubt it is serious.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:52 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Took it for a run, got it up to temp. It has to be completely up to temp (possibly over stock thermostat temp) to tick.

It started ticking. Fairly certain its loudest on the injector side. So I loosened the injector lines one at a time. It was hard to tell with all the shaking, but seemed to still be ticking.

Scoped around everywhere with NO result.. but then.. Aiming for the lift pump in the dark, I landed on the Vacuum pump. Sounds like it MIGHT be coming from there? So.. if that's the case... Lifter noise probably? ']

Or I suppose it could be the lift pump, being right next door. Have to get it hot and try again to be sure it was that area. It cools and the ticking goes away. Valves/lifters do like to act up when hot.
Old May 30th, 2015, 10:43 AM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
So, liking red90's spunk.. I have decided on a primary course of action along the lines of "if it ain't obviously broke"

I am currently running what I think is a 190/185 thermostat can't remember which. It didn't help AT ALL in the winter making it run warmer. I ordered that stock 164 thermostat. Since it only ticks when hot. reduce hot.

Its apparently just a cold engine. It only heats op to operating temps in the summer on the highway trying to push 60mph.

Of course, if it starts ticking when "cool" we'll have to dig deeper.

I know where Robert Davis lives if I ever need to adapt a new engine in there... I have no love lost for the 2.5NAD, but it is probably the right engine for a EXMOD. The thing could easily get you in trouble if it accelerated quicker or drove faster.
Old May 30th, 2015, 01:20 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
I tracked down the noise.

It IS the vacuum pump (or something connected to) I scope the pump and it has a metallic tick to it. All around it is quieter. The head, the block, valve cover.. It all gets quieter the farther from the vacuum pump I get.

Found a thread on LRO... guy describes that noise as an imminent fail. guess I'll order one up. Heck of a lot cheaper than an injector pump.
Old May 30th, 2015, 01:26 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
That's Awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 30th, 2015, 01:35 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Ordered.

For anyone that runs into a tick.. regular or intermittent and might run into this thread, and bother to get down to the end.

A quick diagnosis I discovered to diagnose the vacuum pump you could figure it out the first time you hear it. Since you will notice it ticking only at idle. Pump the brake till you have no vacuum left. This will (in my case) stop the ticking. Once the vacuum "builds up" (oxymoron) it will slowly start ticking again. Figure it must be slipping or something once the difference in external pressure great and it can't maintain the vacuum or is otherwise letting you know its giving up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel