IR Temp Gun Readings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:24 PM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
IR Temp Gun Readings

I was having some issues with my OEM temp gauge and installed a VDO gauge today. I also purchased an IR temp gun to confirm my temp to ensure the gauge was working as it should. On a 300tdi where is the most accuarate place to get a reading and how far off off the location are you holding your gun? Right now I am averaging 10 degrees cooler from the gun reading than what the gauge states (Gauge reading warmer).
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Id shoot the casting right next to the sensor for the gauge to know how far off the two are. Then try the water outlet elbow (where the top radiator hose connects). In theory that elbow should be the highest temp of your cooling system.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:01 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Same issue I've had. Apparently it's common.

Check the thread VDO temp sensor issue I started a couple months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:08 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfiske View Post
Same issue I've had. Apparently it's common.

Check the thread VDO temp sensor issue I started a couple months ago.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=55393
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:25 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Along these lines...what is the temperature "loss" from where the sender threads in internally (i.e. where the sender tip is) and the outside of the casting? Isn't there - in theory - some temperature loss either across the sender (i.e. if you're measuring the outside terminal versus the inside "tip" of the sender), and the same with the casting?

I was wondering about this as well, since I too was thinking mine was running "warm"...but what I would see at the gauge as 190* would be 170* @ sender, 173* @ the stat housing, and 189* @ the elbow. While I was more comfortable with this, I still wasn't convinced that the sender wasn't measuring a more accurate internal temperature, while I was in essence measuring the external temperature.

I also tested the ohms reading of the sender (per VDO specs that they sent me), and that did match up with what the gauge was reading. Which made me think even more that there is a loss of temp across the material(s) from the internal temp to the external temp.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:33 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Along these lines...what is the temperature "loss" from where the sender threads in internally (i.e. where the sender tip is) and the outside of the casting
If we want to geek out thermodynamically this could turn into an old fashion math orgy but...... once the entire cooling system is up to temp the difference would be negligible between the actual probe and the sensor body.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:35 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
If we want to geek out thermodynamically this could turn into an old fashion math orgy but...... once the entire cooling system is up to temp the difference would be negligible between the actual probe and the sensor body.
That is good to know...so looks like I'm up against what seems to be the "norm" of a 20* difference between the IR gun (a nice Fluke) and what the VDO reads. I'll try a fresh dedicated ground wire as recommended and see how that works out.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:42 PM
javelinadave
-
-

The VDO temp sensor is imbedded in the brass housing so it is actually reading the brass temp and not the actual coolant temp.

Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:44 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
I use infrared temperature meters at work all the time. You have to be careful sometimes when you shoot something shiny, it will throw off the reading.

Also my VDO gauge was all over the place until I replaced my engine ground. Now the readings are solid as a rock. I don't care if the reading is accurate, I just want to make sure I can see the big changes.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yah, keep in mind IR readings are not that accurate. They need to be calibrated for each surface.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Along these lines...what is the temperature "loss" from where the sender threads in internally (i.e. where the sender tip is) and the outside of the casting? Isn't there - in theory - some temperature loss either across the sender (i.e. if you're measuring the outside terminal versus the inside "tip" of the sender), and the same with the casting?

I was wondering about this as well, since I too was thinking mine was running "warm"...but what I would see at the gauge as 190* would be 170* @ sender, 173* @ the stat housing, and 189* @ the elbow. While I was more comfortable with this, I still wasn't convinced that the sender wasn't measuring a more accurate internal temperature, while I was in essence measuring the external temperature.

I also tested the ohms reading of the sender (per VDO specs that they sent me), and that did match up with what the gauge was reading. Which made me think even more that there is a loss of temp across the material(s) from the internal temp to the external temp.
One is meant to read the actual coolant temp, the other is the surrounding casting. Obviously, one can quickly change the other is slow to change.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:05 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
emissivity of the material being measured makes a big difference
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
emissivity of the material being measured makes a big difference
I'm pretty sure this is what I was trying to say. But i said it in English .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
What you recon it is at the back of the block
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:43 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
That is good to know...so looks like I'm up against what seems to be the "norm" of a 20* difference between the IR gun (a nice Fluke) and what the VDO reads. I'll try a fresh dedicated ground wire as recommended and see how that works out.
I ran a dedicated ground with no change. Let me know if it works for you and where you planted the ground as I'll try again at some point.

I've gotten used to the 10* or so difference now. I know it's not overheating for sure.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfiske View Post
I ran a dedicated ground with no change. Let me know if it works for you and where you planted the ground as I'll try again at some point.

I've gotten used to the 10* or so difference now. I know it's not overheating for sure.
Will do. My main concern is the voice in the back of my head that keeps telling me the gauge is right, and the IR reading could be off or there is a loss of temp across the material from inside to outside.

The one definitive tell would be to tap a mechanical gauge in the system to get a real true internal reading.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:04 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Will do. My main concern is the voice in the back of my head that keeps telling me the gauge is right, and the IR reading could be off or there is a loss of temp across the material from inside to outside.

The one definitive tell would be to tap a mechanical gauge in the system to get a real true internal reading.
It's a motor, not a nuclear reactor. 10 degrees isn't going to hurt anything since you know which way hotter or colder it reads. It's also a hell of a lot more accurate that the original gauge.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:04 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Will do. My main concern is the voice in the back of my head that keeps telling me the gauge is right, and the IR reading could be off or there is a loss of temp across the material from inside to outside. The one definitive tell would be to tap a mechanical gauge in the system to get a real true internal reading.
I've got a 97 NAS V8, so I'm able to hook up the obd2 scanner to get the engine temp reading. It's always about 10 degrees cooler than what's on the gauge.

It's a bit of "horseshoes and hand grenades" right now.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:05 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

On your IR gun, does it indicate the accuracy range ? Many are +/-5F.
Mine is +/- 2F.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:24 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
yeah, basically it has nothing to do with thermodynamics. different materials have different surface emissivities. the temp gun has no idea what you are pointing at, so it assumes some calibrated emissivity. this is why temp measurements differ.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions