iPod mounting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2006, 09:47 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

iPod mounting

Howdy. Where is everybody mounting their iPods these days? I need to come up with a mount that can link it to my Alpine head unit via mini/RCA cabling, charge the iPod, and protect it, while still making it easily accessible for song changes. I have a stock box between the front seats and I was thinking about modifying one of the cup-holders with a cradle but I'm having second thoughts.

Any suggestions?

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2006, 10:09 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

My dad had a cradle that fit into a cupholder. Personaly I just let mine sit in either the cup holders or in the center consol if its raining and the top is off.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old November 24th, 2006, 10:14 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

What do you use to get power to, and audio out of iPod? Is there a cable that has an RCA output that can be hard-wired (with fuse) to my battery?

/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
What do you use to get power to, and audio out of iPod? Is there a cable that has an RCA output that can be hard-wired (with fuse) to my battery?
Try this on for size. http://www.otterbox.com/
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:16 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
Howdy. Where is everybody mounting their iPods these days? I need to come up with a mount that can link it to my Alpine head unit via mini/RCA cabling, charge the iPod, and protect it, while still making it easily accessible for song changes. I have a stock box between the front seats and I was thinking about modifying one of the cup-holders with a cradle but I'm having second thoughts.

Any suggestions?

Chris
Several pics and descriptions, starting about middle of the page and further down. http://www.eastcoastrover.com/97.html
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Chris,

May I ask how much you paid for your unit and where you bought it? I am looking for a replacement system for mine (Former owner left his truck in the wrong part of Denver). Concerned about IPod too and also rattling that can make a CD skip. If you have thought of all this, exactly what system did you get? I can't afford experiments <Humble>

And Ade: ...Whooly Sh%^. Following that link was an awesome yet humbling exp. Who owns that beauty? Oh, man... I am so envious. (Retoricle question - WHY did Rover stop sending us these? Modify them and keep the same body style. What the hell are they putting in their tea? IMO that new release "defender" Doesn't deserve the same name. Yuck. I am actually offended)
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/isqueez/
Old November 25th, 2006, 10:12 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Chris,

May I ask how much you paid for your unit and where you bought it? I am looking for a replacement system for mine (Former owner left his truck in the wrong part of Denver). Concerned about IPod too and also rattling that can make a CD skip. If you have thought of all this, exactly what system did you get? I can't afford experiments <Humble>
Shake, if you mean the Alpine head unit, I paid about $500 for it back in 2003. I have it mounted vertically in the center console and contrary to what a previous thread stated, it works great in this position. No problems whatsoever.

The iPod, I bought it last night at the Apple store. They had a one-day sale; I think I paid $318 for the 80GB model.

/
/
/
/
Old November 26th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

I use the Harman/Kardon "Drive+Play" as my iPod's control interface and display. I have the display mounted on my dash, where the ashtray used to be. The control wheel is mounted just to the right of my steering wheel, within very easy reach. The iPod itself, plus the Drive+Play "brain," sit safely in the center cubby.

Crutchfield has them on sale for $80 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lDEEZmH...asp?i=108DP1US).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h108DP1US-o_all.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	7491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Laptop mount top.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	7492  

Old November 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Tarr
I use the Harman/Kardon "Drive+Play" as my iPod's control interface and display. I have the display mounted on my dash, where the ashtray used to be. The control wheel is mounted just to the right of my steering wheel, within very easy reach. The iPod itself, plus the Drive+Play "brain," sit safely in the center cubby.

Crutchfield has them on sale for $80 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lDEEZmH...asp?i=108DP1US).
I'm so buying this and scrapping the current iTrip and power cord I've been useing.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old November 26th, 2006, 01:44 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
They have this at Circuit City as well...
Old November 27th, 2006, 12:21 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Ade, So the east coast rover refurb. Any idea on what a tune-up like that costs?
Anyone??
Old November 27th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
Ade, So the east coast rover refurb. Any idea on what a tune-up like that costs?
Anyone??
Email them. ECR is very good in answering questions - at least the few times I have sent them one.
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:16 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
Anyone??
I personally don't have experience with them, on that level...I just dig reading all the different work that they do.
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:00 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

I have on that plugs into the back of my kenwood unit i got for 36.00, It charges it and lets me control from the ipod unlike the kenwood interface. It's a one wire hook up and I got it at crutchfeild or sounddomain
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:05 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Here is my suggestion. By a Pioneer deh-p6800mp head unit. Then buy the CD-IB100 ipod adapter. This allows you to hook up your ipod and control it via the head unit. You can drill a hole in the bottom of the console and plug your ipod up and forget about it. I have my head unit in the original factory center console and it works great. If you completely remove the center console, you can install the ipod adapter into the bottom of it as there is a recessed area. I also purchased the XM interface and installed it next to the ipod interface so you can control the XM stations via the head unit as well. I spent around $400 for everything, ebay!!! This system was recommended by a friend of mine who is really into electronics as I am the village idiot when it comes to this stuff. I have really enjoyed this set-up, good luck with yours!!
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

I have a 1/8" jack on the front of my head unit and a 6' cable. Now I can hand it to the guy in the back seat and tell him if he doesn't like the music, he can DJ. The ability to 'pass' around the tunes and not worry about losing the remote (wireless, but dummy corded within reach of MY seat) was my criteria. It also allows for non-iPod (I actually have a Creative player too) users to contribute to the musical ambiance.

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:04 PM
bomilcar
Stephen Miller
73 Series III Orig Owner

ipod into a 95 RR radio in my D-90?

I put the Pioneer RR Clasic 95 radio into my D-90; I like the weather band. The next job is to figure out how to connect an ipod. The FM transmitter does not work worth a darn and the cassett insert is no better. Radio sounds great on it's own. JL speakers and amp. The Pioneer has the pig tail for the CD but I have not found anyone with a good solution that I can understand. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks
Steve
2011 LR4

"anything that can go wrong has"
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:15 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Tarr

Wow.. can you adjust the Hubble telescope from the cockpot as well..
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM
bomilcar
Stephen Miller
73 Series III Orig Owner

Thanks. I will give them a call today. That might be a little bit fancy for me. I do not need to show on the radio just play through the speakers. I intend to use the ipod controls. KISS - keep it short and simple. I am almst afraid to go to a stereo store; I do not talk their language. Thanks again
Steve
2011 LR4

"anything that can go wrong has"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount