Inverter Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Inverter Install

Wondering where other's have installed these. My initial inclination was to mount it to the transfercase side of the inside of the battery box. The instructions of course say that's exactly where you shouldn't mount it. Last weekend @ MAR I bought one of those cool/bling aircraft aluminum cubby box's. I am now considering mounting the inverter inside the cubby box and puting the outlet's on the front edge (kind of out of sight facing the shifter) of the cubby-just in front of the cup holders. My thought is that while I hate giving up storage space in the cubby- the thing is huge inside and this is probably the highest mounting point in the truck where it can be hidden and kept reasonably dry.
Got a new 1000 watt Coleman brand inverter for $45 on ebay with two outlets- have always wanted one of these in my rovers so today is the day while the steering column is all pulled apart waiting for a new switch.

Is there a better spot ? What say you ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2007, 05:09 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I keep mine in a bag and plug it in when I need it. I'm usually using it when the vehicle is sationary so that works for me.
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Joeplumbo
Joe PLumbo
1993 110

I have seen on the ECR site where they mounted one under the center cubby box. The outlets were facing to the back.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2007, 10:31 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Obviously, you don't want other electrical devices in the relatively closed battery box so why not put it in the other? This also allows you to run short supply cables. You should also add a manual switch on the battery terminal so it's off when not in use. Don't simply turn it's own whimpy switch off as it's still drawing power.

One thing you should do is run the outlet(s) to a convenient spot. That means extending the wiring and remounting the plate although you can do it on the cheap and dirty: run a short extension cord to the convenient spot or just leave it in the box and pull it out when you need to.
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Under the cubby box-hadn't thought of that. Will have to look to see if it will be accessible with the roll bar right there....good idea.

Art,
I already took the end plate off the inverter to splice in a heavy duty switch and run the outlets to a remote location-and plan to use an actual outdoor aluminum cover plate with the spring tension outlet covers. I am using a separate marine rocker switch with a red led- to remind when the unit is on/left on.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:42 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

How is it getting ventilation under the cubby box?

Also, behind the rear seats, if you got them. Make a plate to bolt onto the existing seat support and attach the inverter. Point the plugs and switch to the rear for easy access. I actually prefer this location as it's normally unused and has plenty of space for ventilation.
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Joeplumbo
Joe PLumbo
1993 110

cubby box install...

From the picture it appeared as though they used standoffs to elevate the cubby and provide open air cooling.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Joeplumbo
Joe PLumbo
1993 110

pics

Hello Art,
Found the pics on ECR... http://www.eastcoastrover.com/179.html
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm getting ready to install a 1000W inverter myself, and struggling with location. I would really prefer the outlets in the rear cargo area, so I can access it from the safari door, and mine has a voltmeter by the outlets that I would want to monitor.

I am considering the ECR location, but really prefer my electronics as high as possible.
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Mark,

I stopped mid stream because I can't decide where to mount this. I too would like the outlets in the rear of the truck. I looked @ how ECR did the install and the standoff brakets they used look like it lifted the console up about 4 inches-not liking that so much. Having just re-bodied most of my truck I have problems drilling holes in it. Trying to come up with something that will put the two outlets right inside the back door.
Im thinking some sort of inwrd facing outlet made into a new sheet metal speaker housing,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions