Intreior Light Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 5th, 2004, 06:33 PM
proulx70
Paul S.
1997 NAS BRG Soft-Top
D-90 Source Vendor

Intreior Light Problem

The interior light on my '97 ST is supposed to come on when I open the door with the switch set in the middle. This does not work. I have to flick the switch either front or back to get it on. Occasionally, the auto-off/on switch will work with the switch set closest to the passengers. Quick fix? I pulled the light out and see the simple contact it makes from front to back, but can't seem to get it going.

BTW, the couple of times it worked I noticed the light has a dimming feature when you close the door. I find it funny that on such a utilitarian truck with manaual levers/switches. etc, that it would have this soft, mellow, luxurious dim feature on the light. Am I the only one amused by this?

Cheers,

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2004, 07:23 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I had the same problem when I got my 97-ST. Push the plunger in and spray in some contact cleaner. Then tighten the screw(s) that hold the switch in place. It is a very cheesy way that LR used to ground it but the loose screws will cause the light not to work.
If you are still having trouble, pull off the panel in the middle of your parcel tray. Check to see that both plugs are plugged in securely to the module that is attached to the panel. Good luck and let us know if it helped.....
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:43 AM
proulx70
Paul S.
1997 NAS BRG Soft-Top
D-90 Source Vendor

Worked like a charm.

Thanks much!

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I have the opposite problem. The interior light turns on fine, but sometimes the dimmer works and light goes out in a few seconds, sometimes it doesn't. It does not time out and turn off after a few minutes, either. It stays on indefinitely. Does not matter if truck is running or not, in Park or Neutral, ignition on or off, rainy or dry, doors open or closed. The problem occurs on a (seemingly)random basis.

Module was replaced a little over a year ago, but due to the random nature of the problem, it was difficult to see if that helped. Light unit itself works fine switching on and off manually. I've replaced both door jamb switches ('97 ST), and have no other electrical gremlins at the moment. Am now wondering if replacement module is bad and am tempted to swap out the module from my SW, (which works perfect) to test it. Do you guys have any ideas what else problem could be? (some sort of ground issue, bad switch in the light itself?) How would I diagnose?
Any help sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht