International HS2.8L - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

International HS2.8L

Was this Powerstroke ever apporved by the EPA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2004, 05:57 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
who cares. there is someone here with one.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:38 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

"who cares" Is his way of saying "I don't know."

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:43 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
you are genious
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:15 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Michael,

Some folks say it is approved and some say it isn't. There are folks in the US with the engine. You can get the engine from Brasil for under $3k (brand new).
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:47 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
you are genious

Nice job trying to be clever while spelling it wrong and screwing up the grammar. Read much?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
is it realley importent??
Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh great, now this thread is worthless...
Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Were just screwing with eachother, we'll stop. Mike, the answer is NO.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:10 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mike - If by "approved by the EPA" you mean type-approved for installation into a Defender, the answer is a resounding "no."

If you mean "does the engine have an eligibility number" then they answer is maybe. Lots of engines have been tested or submitted for approval by manufacturers that they never intend to market or may intend to market at some point.

Now the thing is that it doesnt matter. You can import disembodied engines all you like because they are simply auto parts. For private owners, local jurisdictions are the enforcement agencies for the legality of engine swapping - since you are in NY (with their CA-like regs) you may have trouble convincing the authorities that a swap is legit. Of course NY may have provisions you could exploit, but I dont know. Your best bet is to join the military, that way you never have to live in your local jurisdiction.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:58 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

The engine is not approved by the EPA. I have a friend that runs the parts department at an International dealership. I got him to do some checking around for me about getting a deal on a 2.8. He said that he couldn't get any info on the engine from US sources as they were not being brought into the US by International, and International had no intentions of bringing the engine to the US. So, International has never had the engine tested by the EPA. If you are worried about emissions testing, the 2.8 should pass with no problems, as I believe it meets the new Euro specs for emissions.

Chris
Old December 24th, 2004, 08:11 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I was thinking if people can the 300TdI why cant the international be used?
Old December 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

I didn't say it couldn't be used. I said it hadn't been EPA approved. The 300tdi hasn't been EPA approved either.
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:16 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

how much for the women ?

When it's time to replace my engine, this is what I want... brand new.
Where in BRAZIL can this be imported for $3k ??

They had an International Engine Display... huge 18wheelers with cut-away engines to display, the whole nine-yards at the local Home Depot a few weeks back where I live... I had asked them about this engine but NONE of them had any idea.

Once engine is 'got' , then I need to find someone to put it in.
Another adventure.

I'm not worried about regulations, etc... this is Florida and unlike my native Garden State, this is a cakewalk... no emissions. The only bad thing is that there's no ECR, or anyone with a reputation down here that I could blindly give that kind of cash to and not worry. Unless any of you southern fella's have any ideas.

THANKS

N

Old December 24th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

As long as you get all the correct parts for doing the swap, it's not that hard to do, just time consuming. John, where can I get one of those engines for cheap? The only person I know of selling just the engines is Stephen Cahill, for about $4500 + shipping. I would love to have one to replace the 300 in my SW if I ever had to :>)

Chris
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Once you have have a 300 already, the only real difference is the Turbo between the two engines. Just buy one from Pendy and you are there. Move to Cali, they never smog any Diesel engine so it doesn't matter

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 24th, 2004, 11:12 AM
rolaro
Jan-Dirk Roodbol

Here some results from Holland.
We know that the engine manufacturer is in Brasil, but they do that not only for their own market they als built engines for Perkins and ....Ford, so what will bring the near future for you in the USA?
Further deliver International the engines for many years for the Land Rover Tdi.
The International HS 2.8 TGV has a power increase of opprox. 20% and torque increase of approx. 30% compared with the 300Tdi engine, that means faster than the standard TD5 engine by the same fuel consumption.
In Holland the engine is on the market for an 300 Tdi-engine swap and is complete delivered with injection-/pump , fuel pump, dynamo, waterpump starter engine flywheel steeringpump.
You need a extra built-in set such as modified exhaust pipe adaptor for remote oil filter ( in conflict with engine mounting. All can be done in approx 2 days.
A 200 TDi is more difficult; the engine must be replaced to the front, next to the basic set you need 52 more other pieces for replaced gearbox/ clutch radiator intercooler.
All with instruction manual, probably in Dutch.......and now the most important thing price
engine complete HS 2.8 GTV Euro 5.000,-- multiply by approx. 1.35
mounting set 300 Tdi 375,--
mountingset 200 Tdi 2.100,--

I found this information on a dutch website so I translated it a bit .

salute Jan-Dirk
Old December 24th, 2004, 12:49 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Chris, they are advertised on a brasilian website ...
Old December 24th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

John, do you by any chance know the web address?

Thanks

Chris
Old December 24th, 2004, 06:19 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Is there anyone out there who has personal experience with either the HS2.8 or warmed over 300 TDI in a heavy 110 running 35's or larger? I originally planned to put the 300 TDI in my truck, but was sidetracked by the EPA issues and also a concern about a little 4 cylinder having enough power. But the specs of the HS2.8 are impressive, and I'd love to get even better mileage than I do now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions