International HS2.8L - Page 9 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

WOW! A Defender guy talked to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2005, 12:55 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

It was my one nice deed of the day. Now I get to be a MuddyOval "Wang" for the remainder of the day.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old October 25th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Engine install

Hi David S.

Thanks for asking. Its good to hear that your engine is running great and you have a new starter. I just finished re-finishing the engine bay this morning. I am about to Waxoyl the bulk head/firewall as recommend by David M. The engine should be going in early next week- just waiting for a few seals and gaskets at the tranmission oil pump(figure I would replace those while I have everythin apart. A good friend for mine machined the bell housing and fit a nice starter cover. I am thinking of waterroofing the bell housing to adater plate interface with a clear silicon bead and then putting a breather hose from a newly drilled hole on the top of the bell housing - does anyone see a problem with this? Then comes the electrical - I already cut a few wires (just need to splice them) I shouldn't have when removing the V8 harness.

Roverowner:

I have a Disco too, and the D-90 guys are real cool about it! Along with David S., I am too stumped as to why you pay more than M&D charges for M&D's kit. I got my engine and kit from them and I would recommend them anytime. If importing to the North East, and you would be going to pick up the crate personally from a sea-port, I wouldn't bring it through any other sea-port but Newark, NJ. I learned (the hard way) that all shipments from England to the North East come in to Newark, New Jersey first and then apparently get moved by land to other sea ports(???). I think this will save allot of time (and maybe money too).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

One of the things that is killing me is that I am on the other side of the world right now. In the end, I need a place I can have it driven/shipped to (by someone else) and have the install done. I wish I could stop in a pick it up, I have family to stop in and see. Time I have a lot of right now......

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

a shipper will do door to door service... for a fee of course. www.dasautoshippers.com is a very good company.

Old October 25th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
I am thinking of waterroofing the bell housing to adater plate interface with a clear silicon bead and then putting a breather hose from a newly drilled hole on the top of the bell housing - does anyone see a problem with this?
I would put a drain hole in the bottom of the bell and plug it similar to the oil drain plug. If you do get water, oil or whatever in there you want to be able to drain it out. Land Rove used to do this but had since stopped. I belive they did it due to oil leakage at the back of the engine but have stopped due to better seals but I could be wrong. Still a good idea to have a drain as it is easier then taking the inspection plate off, specially if you seal that also.
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Waterproofing

Mike H.:

The drain hole/plug at is a great idea! And sealing the inspection plate would probably help too! Maybe I will put the drain hole in that plate so if it I rip it apart, I won't be damaging the bell housing. Thanks for your insight.
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Since these have been out of a little bit, any data available on the beating (or not) that the power train is taking? Transmission and transfer case to be specific.

1995 Discovery
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Update

I am going to go the M&D route. If anyone else is considering it; seems to be a 10% discount going now. I am getting the larger Rad and the A/C kits too. I now am in the stages of securing someone to install it.

Sheki - do you have a snorkel on you ride? Is it going to be a problem? is there any room left for a dual battery set-up?

1995 Discovery
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:43 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

David Jackson is good with the 10% discount for us Americans, I guess he feels bad for us with our 3rd world currency.
I have seen a disco with the 2.8, dual batteries, A/C and a snorkle.

sent you a PM

Old October 27th, 2005, 08:17 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
The engine keeps performing better and better as it has been breaking in. I now have 7,000mi on it and am getting between 17-20mpg. On my last long drive I was cruising on the hwy at 80-85mph without having the pedal to the floor.
Hey sheki,
You are only getting 17-20mpg? I heard stories of mid-high 20's which were getting me excited about the diesel upgrade. In fact, one guy (true, with a TDI300) in a D110 claimed to get 30+ on a long trip.

-Jason

Yes, I do want my cake and eat it, too. Otherwise, what the hell good is a cake?
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:25 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

low 20's is realistic. Now way in hell anyone got 30+ in a 110, maybe going down hill for 100mi. I hear the 300Tdi is more in the low to mid 20's

Old October 28th, 2005, 07:54 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring
Hey sheki,
You are only getting 17-20mpg? I heard stories of mid-high 20's which were getting me excited about the diesel upgrade. In fact, one guy (true, with a TDI300) in a D110 claimed to get 30+ on a long trip.
Sheki also said doing 80+mph. If he would slow down (probably not easy to do on the freeways, I know its not up here) he may do better. Brick aerodynamics cost at speed.
30mpg in a 110 - prolly doing 50mph no faster. Then maybe. and thats just a maybe.
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Rough crowd.....

1995 Discovery
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Conrats on your kit!

[QUOTE=Roverowner]I am going to go the M&D route. If anyone else is considering it; seems to be a 10% discount going now. I am getting the larger Rad and the A/C kits too. I now am in the stages of securing someone to install it.

That's great! Congradulations. It seems that you are out of the country, but Hopefully you get to see the engine before it gets installed. Mine has been in the garage on display on a small trailor for about a month while I have been slowly refinishing and waxoylin' the engine bay, and I actually don't want to install it because it is a very sharp looking in there. I felt like Chief Inspector Clouseau the other day when I turned the ring gear(clockwise!) and one of the red plastic plugs popped of and hit me. Anyways, I wouldn't mind having one on display in the house instead of those vases (which are currenly on top of a shiny roller cab).

Again, good luck with the project - with a snorkel your rig will look great!
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
Sheki also said doing 80+mph. If he would slow down (probably not easy to do on the freeways, I know its not up here) he may do better. Brick aerodynamics cost at speed.
30mpg in a 110 - prolly doing 50mph no faster. Then maybe. and thats just a maybe.
are we talking US gallons or imperial?
Old November 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

Long time since I've been to d-90.com but thought I'd pipe in about the milage.
I remember looking around over a year ago at the 2.8 and seeing some of the claims about milage. I talked with Mike on email and the phone and he mentioned someone taking delivery of their upgrade and getting close to 30MPG, but it was Imperial. Mulitplying by .83333333~ gets you aprx 25 US MPG. He did mention that the person was doing 60MPH or so and going easy. This was in a 110.

This thread was a heartening read and I'm now a few steps away from getting the engine and kit from David as well. So far he's been an upstanding person to work with.

I know Craig Reece runs his d90 on veggie oil but was wondering if anyone with a 2.8 has made the move. I'm considering getting the Frybrid kit since I already have two tanks and it seems like a beefy setup, although a bit on the expensive side. The quality looks top notch though.

pwc
Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:33 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I just started looking into vegetable oil/biodiesel conversions...it is an interesting concept. I had never heard of Frybrid but looked them up at www.frybrid.com. It looks like they have taken the concept pretty far...i'm impressed. Is anyone besides Craig Reese doing anything like this with their Land Rover?
Rob
Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I originally installed 2 tanks with a mind towards doing the WVO thing but could never get around to investigating the collection of WVO. In the end I just plumbed both tanks with a simple switching valve. Maybe if I knew a group of people that were into it and we could pool collection efforts I'd revisit dedicating a tank to veggie, but I just dont want the hassle for time being.

Also, I get minimum 25 US MPG (at 75mph and just over 650 on the EGT guage) with the 300Tdi. Driving more carefully and keeping EGT's around 450-500 (whatever the speed) yields about 28 US MPG. I've never done much better than that.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

Jim, some resources for you...
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc has a SVO/WVO section
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/ has a locater under the connections section for finding people near you. Seeing that you're in CA, there should be plenty
greacecar also has a forum
There's also a yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vegoilfuel/ to help with resources and such. I know there are a couple other groups at Yahoo but I'm not on them all.

Most people on all of these are quite helpful and encouraging if you need resources or possibly someone to team up with.

For the record, Craig runs another system; from his website http://www.plantdrive.com . Seems he's updated his site since I saw it last and has expanded his dealer network.

pwc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions