International HS2.8L - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 13th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

ABX-USA called me out of nowhere, and told me to give them power of attorney. They wouldn't tell me where the crate was and said that I would not get it unless they released it. I basically gave them power of attorney to grab my balls(sorry ladies). Well, it ain't over yet, thanks for the heads up on the storage fees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2005, 01:03 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

ABX had to be contacted by someone and designated as the forwarder. If that was not you then it was M&D - and they should now get involved intimately.

At this point I would demand an itemized list of charges. Duties should be about 2.5% at best so the rest are their fees. If so, then they have already incurred these and must charge you - or that is what they will say. They may not be reasonable but where can you complain? Nowhere.

You must go there in person to get any resolution. That's what I did. Priority now should be to avoid further charges. You can go back and sue them in small claims if their charges were unreasonable. If they allow payment by credit card I would opt for that. usually they do not - it's cash or nothing. If you're paying by check add "under protest" in the note section. It may help you later in court.

It's a tough situation. You must go into these things knowing EVERYTHING up front. Do not assume anything, especially low unenumerated costs. However, if you had a FedEx account - especially a business one - then you could have had them be the forwarder. Fees are reasonable - after you ship it here without their service.
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Just saw what was going on, if it makes you feel better, there was a recent ammendment to my shipping invoice. In addition to the $721, there was a $431.31 ocean freight charge.
here is a copy of my recent invoice. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shipping fees.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	3818  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I had the same as Sheki (about $450). I believe the call came in very much the same manor from the NJ port saying they wouldn't release without $450 in cash. I paid rather than let the thing sit or otherwise. It's extortion.

I'll dig up the invoice at home.

If you need and local assistance, I'd be ahppy to help, within reason of course...
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Let me just make sure that everyone knows M&D is working very hard to clear this up for me and have been great ever since I first called them last december asking about their kits. They have been in negotiations with ABX-UK since the minute I informed them of the charges last Friday. They (David and Martin) are doing a great job. I sent an email to David Jackson at 7:00pm EST regarding this issue and he replied within a few minutes.

It is ABX-USA that we are having a problem with.

SHeki - Thanks for the invoice. (How is the rig?)

Here are my charges, excluding ocean freight (195 GBP):

Customs Clearance 195.00
Messenger Service 35.00
Break Bulk Fee 125.00 (???)
Loading Charges 455.35 (yes 455.35)
THC 135.00 (???)
SEB Premium 60.00 (???)
Duty - 124.07

David, it looks as if yours would have been another $600 if you were charged what I am being billed for.

Follow-up Post:

MY apologies for the big font.

Follow-up Post:

Oh yeah, that was 7:00pm EST, Friday evening.

Follow-up Post:

Hi David (everyone has the same name?)

Thanks for offering. Can you go to the ABX office on 135 Bremen Street and punch someone (anyone) in the face for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
I had the same as Sheki (about $450). I believe the call came in very much the same manor from the NJ port saying they wouldn't release without $450 in cash. I paid rather than let the thing sit or otherwise. It's extortion.

I'll dig up the invoice at home.

If you need and local assistance, I'd be ahppy to help, within reason of course...
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Got to love the Mob.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:35 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael

Hi David (everyone has the same name?)

Thanks for offering. Can you go to the ABX office on 135 Bremen Street and punch someone (anyone) in the face for me!
Sure, heading over now...

Seriously, if you need someone to collect it or something happens, I'm happy to help.

Funny, I grew up outside of 'Cuse.
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:22 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Sorry to hear about your continued problems.
The engine is running well, I just drove it 1500 mile this week and spent the weekend in Moab, where it performed very well.
Since you got your kit from David J. the advice I have is, use your throttle cable and not the one he supplied. My, as well as 2 other people I know who got the kit from him, throttle cable stuck. I also had an issue today with the starter. This morning it wouldn't start, I think the kit comes with a crappy starter. Just things to think about. If you have questions during your install, I'll try to help.
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:19 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Well, I think I'm going to bring my truck to DMV here in CA today and see if I can get it re-registered as a diesel. My palms are sweating just thinking about it, I'll let everyone know later how it went. Wish me luck!
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Before I encountered the import fee issue, I already re-registered my Discovery as a Commercial Vehicle here in NYS. (I hope you guys still let me post here even though I have a Discovery, which is what the engine was supposes to go into.) The next step is to re-register again with a diesel re-power conversion and it changes to diesel on registration. This exempts the vehicle from emissions inpection. First things first, I need to get my hands on that engine!

Have fun at the DMV Sheki! and thanks for the advice on the kit.
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:30 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Well, I think I'm going to bring my truck to DMV here in CA today and see if I can get it re-registered as a diesel. My palms are sweating just thinking about it, I'll let everyone know later how it went. Wish me luck!
Good Luck!! I hope all goes well and please keep us up to date. I think I'll be traveling the same road soon so I feel for you.
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:53 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
DS, why re-register, just amend the title.
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:39 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

That's what I'm going to do, it just easier to explain it to people that way. They actually call it "re-refereed". I was going to go to DMV around 12:30, just around lunch time. for some reason it's empty then.
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:22 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

alright, it's official, I have a diesel D-90!
So the process was a easy as can be. I pulled up to the inspection area and popped the hood, the guy (really nice guy too) gave it the once over, filled out a form and sent me inside. The worst part was I waited for a hour before they called my number. The guy helping me confirmed my address and was about to send me on my way. He realized he need my title so they could issue me a new one. Like a dumb ass I didn't have my title with me, I left it in NY. To quickly resolve the problem I paid $16 a we declaired it lost. So I have my new registration and will get the new title in about 2-4 weeks. That was it, simple. No crazy questions, no interigation, no need for records and documents (except for the title). If I didn't have to wait in that crazy line the whole thing would have only taken 20min.
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:40 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Wow that's great! I was wondering how CA DMV would react.
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Congradulations!!!
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Woo-Hoo!

Woo-hoo!

Follow-up Post:

Thanks to M&D, I only had to pay about half of the original import charges (which was over $1100) billed to me by ABX logistics. The crate is now in my garage!!!

Thanks to all the guys who post on this thread for leading me to M&D.
If anyone out there is considering a diesel re-power conversion for their Rover, M&D (www.mdengineering.co.uk) is the place to go.

Old September 25th, 2005, 11:38 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Congrats on finally getting your engine. Now through that bad boy in the truck and go use it!
Old October 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Another convert....

This has been the most helpful thread....and you recovered from a near flame war. I am looking at the same conversion to the 2.8L for my automatic '95 Disco; get over it, I have to start my collection somewhere. I am probably going to go the britrest route (head gasket called it quits on my 3.9).

Sheki - It sounds like it was worth it. I am sitting in Afghanistan right now so I have to have someone else do the install. I am going to get the larger rad and the A/C mounts. Anything to update?
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:17 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

well... I am having my tranny rebuilt. I had 160k miles on it and it was not doing well. I am having the guts replaced with those from a P38. I also had a custom HD radiator made, the HD 300tdi one was not cutting it for me. The truck would run hot on those long Rocky Mountain passes. The new radiator is a dimpled commercial style 4 core. According to the guy making it not only does it, "look prettier than shit", it will also "cool like a mother fucker".
The engine keeps performing better and better as it has been breaking in. I now have 7,000mi on it and am getting between 17-20mpg. On my last long drive I was cruising on the hwy at 80-85mph without having the pedal to the floor.
I had a bad starter that was shipped with the kit from M&D, they had no problem sending me a new one under warranty (I requested and received a Bosch for the second one).
I don't know your reasoning for wanting to go to Britrest. First off they are in another country, secondly they charge more for the engine than you can buy it yourself for from M&D (they get their engines and kits from M&D). I know someone much closer to you that can do the install, PM me if you want their info or have any other questions.

Michael, how's your install coming?
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions