International HS2.8L - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

David,

Some guys on the HS2.8 list are recommending this place: www.bellintercoolers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2005, 08:00 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Sheki, let's compare mounts (sounds fishy)...

Improved rad should be here tomorrow. Nothing like cutting it close....
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:30 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

At least you have a running truck, mine is still in surgery, talk about close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2005, 01:50 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Damn, your "break in", will be fun.
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:30 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Auxiliary fuel tank is done. I think, as David M. put it, I have the first Land Rover fuel tanker. I now have a 35 gallon total capacity, which should yield close to a 900mi range. I know... sounds crazy to me too. Should hopefully get the engine fired up today

For those interested, I just got my shipping invoice. Total for door to door shipping from M&D in the UK to the midwest was $712.63, this includes all the duties, applicable taxes, handling fees, paper work... I had it shipped in to the Houston port, then trucked. It ended up being less expensive than I would have thought. If anyone is interested in the shippers info, I'd be happy to pass it along.
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:57 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

well, I figured now that I have 1000mi on the new engine I'd report back. The engine performed amazing at the Rally! The torque is just the coolest thing, give it enough throttle to let the RPM's hit 1500 and just wait... the thing just pulls itself up and over effortlessly. So quite compared to those damn V8's revving the engine, spinning the tires and stalling left and right. . The only problems to date have been minor heating issues when on the highway (especially through those damn Colorado passes). It is assumed that it is due to air in the system; however, I think I'll improve on the HD radiator anyway (just to be on the safe side). The other issue is a sticky throttle cable. After talking to 2 others at the Rally with the same set-up, I discovered they had the same problem. The solution was simple, a small spring attached to the transmission cable, this will keep pressure on the cable so the throttle won't stick. In the course of the 800 mile drive, I was averaging about 20mpg, these number should improve as the engine breaks in more. I did run out of diesel while trying to rush to a fire extinguisher service center to fill my CO2 tank before the Rally. What a pain in the ass, you have to pump the filter and crack the ignition plugs, blah, blah, blah. Needless to say if were at the Rally you would know, I didn't fill my CO2 tank. Of course the only place in Leadville, CO who could fill one had tons of CO2 but broke their filling adapter. Thanks to all those who let me mooch air off them. The truck is still having a few adjustments and finishing's up, but all in all, AWESOME. After the engines warranty expires I'll probably juice it up a bit, it was sluggish up the hills, but punch from a dead stop, enough to merge into traffic. Very comparable to a V8, just not on hills. If anyone has questions feel free. I've been there, only fair that now I take on the burden too.
Old August 18th, 2005, 05:46 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I have heard a story of closer to 30-35 mpg with a TDI in a 110 - was that pure fantasy? 20mpg seems a long way off from that.

Also, you say it's sluggish uphill compared to the V8? I have to say the V8 is sluggish already - I was hoping that there might be some improvement in uphill performance in the 2.8 PS...that's my second biggest V8 complaint, after the gas mileage

I'm debating my engine upgrade path. I have the option to snag a 4.0L with twin turbo exhaust manifolds for $500 (needs rebuild, but components are in good shape..however, I don't know for sure if the exhaust manifolds will fit in the engine bay on the D90....). This thing would definitely have the power, but I am not sure I'd be happy with the mileage. Want cake & want to eat it, too.
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:03 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I was also at 10,000ft when I was doing the long uphill climbs. I still have to play with the engine a bit, I wasn't trying to push anything as it was still a break in period. I was also having some heating issues. I may have had air still in the system, from when the coolant was filled. The truck is having a larger rad. and intercooler installed I'll be driving it again in a few weeks, I'll post more info then. Hopefully things will run stronger on the road. Don't get me wrong the engine is awesome, I have no regrets.
regarding the 30+ mpg in a 110 , seems a bit far fetched. Maybe they meant 20-25mpg, or perhaps that was going down hill with a tail wind
Old August 18th, 2005, 11:24 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

1. No way 30+ in a 110. more like 20-25. I have one and I'm at that low end. Granted there's a bit of smoke on flooring it. A larger intercooler and tuning is next in line. That should make it peppy. Perhaps a better turbo next. The goal is to maybe mate it to a ZF and still be peppy - at much less cost than converting to a 2.8.

2. I don't know why you guys think the V8 is sluggish. In my 97 D90 it is very nice - I have no complaints. With proper kickdown setting downshifting is smooth and, well, peppy. I would take that performance in my 110 in a heartbeat. With the ZF - well, that's just heaven.

To be honest, with diesel now being equal with premium I may just be better off selling the Tdi and fitting a V8. I'll have the pep I want and the auto I need.

I would like to try out the Tdi fully tuned/intercooled and with the ZF. It may just be good enough for me. I've been trying to track down guys overseas who've done this but not too many.
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:28 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Hey Art, I'll let you know about the performance. Finally figured out how to get my Allisport phase 2 intercooler to fit with the A/C condenser, this is mated with a ZF tranny. It's a 2.8 so it'll have more pep than a 300; however, you can always ask Buckon37s. According to him he can burn rubber in his 300 with 37's . I don't know how much, if at all, I'll tune the engine. The engine has a 1yr warranty and until that expires I may leave well enough alone, but with the larger intercooler I'll be good to go when that day comes.
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Hey Art, I'll let you know about the performance. Finally figured out how to get my Allisport phase 2 intercooler to fit with the A/C condenser, this is mated with a ZF tranny. It's a 2.8 so it'll have more pep than a 300; however, you can always ask Buckon37s. According to him he can burn rubber in his 300 with 37's . I don't know how much, if at all, I'll tune the engine. The engine has a 1yr warranty and until that expires I may leave well enough alone, but with the larger intercooler I'll be good to go when that day comes.
Yep,

With an uprated intercooler, and boost and fuel turned up pretty big, and 4.56, and 3in straight out no muffler exaust, I can burn 37's respectfully on dry ground in 4wd. I can even get a good churp of the tires in 2nd gear too In 2WD I can do pretty darn good. If you want to see, next time your in LA I would be more than happy to let you drive it around. I only ask that you please try to keep it less than 7 feet off the ground. Hills are a problem too, but I run into heat more than running out of power. I never go over 1050 egt's so to keep at that I usually have to back off the gas up big hills. But, I haven't met a hill yet that I had to drop below 65. On MPG, I am less than 18 now, but the engine is prime for power, not milage. I can puff mean black smoke. Just as an FYI, I would not put this engine in a 110. Every pound I drop off the truck seems to make this engine happier. I can tell you this, there is no way I would lose a 0-60 race with a V8 on 37's, 0-80 is a different story though.

edit: Oh, and the difference between these engines stock and juiced up is night and day.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:55 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

1. I have heard a 2.8 has more pep than a 300 - in stock form. I have also heard that a tuned 300 is a much better performer.

2. This added performance in a 110/R380 is noticeable. Now, Dave, you say it's no good in a 110 but I disagree. My 110 in stock form is quite good. Off the line it's slow and I find myself shifting quickly and revving somewhat high to get it moving. I do not like doing this as it may affect longevity. On the highway I have no problem hitting 75-80 and keeping it there. On hills, sure, i downshift but can generally keep it at 60+ - as long as it's moving. Stop and go on hills is murder.

3. Tuning my 300 should make it a new machine and I look forward to it. It's the torque increase that I'm after. It will make off the line feel much better and lessen the need to downshift. Swapping the turbo may give it performance close to the 2.8.

4. Adding a ZF to this should make it a good performer. Sure, probably less peppy than with the R380 but hopefully very usable. This is only a people mover so I don't need anything special out of it.

Bottom line, I need to find people with this setup and get opinions. I hate to start spending money on a trial and error basis.

Heck, I'll settle for 0-60 as I now get in the D90!
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

There are at least two guys over at Pirate with 300's and ZF's. Both have nothing but positive things to say about it. You will feel a huge difference when you tune your engine. And, I did not say it was no good for a 110, I just said I would not do it just 'cause when I dropped the hard top, rear door, and other doors it really brought the engine to life.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:49 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

You know, Dave...maybe it's time you took a video burning some rubber and showing off your setup. I for one would be keen to see it.
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Sure I'll go out a buy a video camera just to pull in front of my house to burn rubber Think about it fir a second, 4.56s with 37's that measure a true 35.8 and a juiced 300. It's not hard at all. Plus, I have axles that can actually hold up to dropping the clutch.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:46 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Sure I'll go out a buy a video camera just to pull in front of my house to burn rubber Think about it fir a second, 4.56s with 37's that measure a true 35.8 and a juiced 300. It's not hard at all. Plus, I have axles that can actually hold up to dropping the clutch.
*OR* I can swing by your place on my next trip down to San Diego with my camcorder and film this myself for ya -- no fee!!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:31 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

...uh...that was a joke. My burning rubber days are long past - 15 years ago in a 65 Corvette with a 396 and 4.56.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:37 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring
*OR* I can swing by your place on my next trip down to San Diego with my camcorder and film this myself for ya -- no fee!!
So when you coming down? We can do much better than a simple burn out. I'll roll it for ya.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Import fees

Hi everyone. Things could be better.

My engine and kit from M&D are sitting at the Boston Freight Terminal.

ABX logisitics has billed be over $1100 to get access to it. That is in addition to the $350 (195 British Pounds) I paid to get it to port form UK. M&D can't believe ABX-USA is trying to "screw" me, and are trying their best to see what is going on.

I know Sheki paid door to door $721. Anyone else out there willing to share their experience of importing fees for M&D's kit.

So far, I have Skeki's numbers and one other that M&D put me in touch with, which was about $350.

Thanks for any help with dealing with these $%#!%!!!
Michael
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Mike,

If you've already contracted with ABX then you are at their mercy. I would say let M&D do what they can but do it soon. Once they decide to charge you storage fees things only go downhill. If M&D can't do anything then just pay them and get your stuff out of there.

I've had to deal with a freight forwarder once on a small package and it was complicated enough. I've used FedEx since then without any problems. However, on a large item as yours FedEx wouldn't have been cost effective.

My business partner once was saved by FedEx: he was coming back into the US form Canada with some items purchased there. The paperwork was incomplete and he was to be turned away at the border - around Midnight! he noticed the FedEx office and they were willing to fix the paperwork and get him on his way for a very small fee - $50 or so, and that's for about $20K worth of equipment. If you can bail out of this forwarder you can try this yourself. However, getting on the phone with FedEx or any other presence at teh port and eventually finding the right person may be difficult. But if you have a couple of hours it may be worth the effort.

So, did you use the same guys as Sheki? I guess not.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions