International HS2.8L - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2005, 02:01 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Just wait David. I will warn you it will not stop there. You will find yourself looking at a few other upgrades while the truck is all disasembled in the shop. It's bound to happen. Just accept the fact your wallet will be open for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2005, 04:31 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I already know that, I probably will get the chassis galvanized as I know the truck will eventually end up in NY. Then there will be the lockers, some suspension work... hmmm, what else can I do? Anyone have some suggestions?
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:33 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Well, this is turning into my favorite post...

I've also been thinking about BIODIESEL... don't know if I'd go that route, but just doing research. Any of you 2.8 Powerstroke owners thinking of running Biodiesel ? or running it now ? I'm interested to hear...

In any case, here's INTERNATIONAL's Statement on running Biodiesel in their engines.

Oh... Marchand... I sent you an email.

Nicholas
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2004_OEM_internationalbiodieselpositionstatement.pdf (19.4 KB, 276 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
If you galvy the chassis, it's a great time to waxoyl the heck out of your bulkhead and entire undercarriage, including the tub supports (which are steel).

Nick, got your email. I've been slammed. I'll get to it.

Bio should be fine to run. The key to bio is running the right mixture so that it doesn't affect you seals. In addition, you need to be careful where you source your bio. Some shops don't do a good job of storing or mixing.
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:29 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Thanks Dave, will do that.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:05 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Dave M,

Not a problem... don't worry about it... I got the answers already.

N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:33 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
mdengineering.co.uk

The kit comes with everything you need. Just have to install it. I paid 6080, but that included the two uprated Allisport intercoolers, I ordered their option 1&2 sizes as well as a HD radiator. Shipping is about $1000, with tax and fees. It hasn't shipped yet but that is the customs broker's estimate.
David,

It's a funny thing.. I was wondering what you meant by the Allisport Intercoolers, option 1&2 for a few days, then I went to the website you listed, which I typed exactly and it came up with one website... Then, I typed www.mdengineering.co.uk and got a completely different website. Pretty funny, the set up 2 A name records (for you computer geeks like me... I control a bunch of DNS servers...) for the same domain name... which you can do of course, but generally not for 'with www' and 'without'...

In any case, I'll check out the website finally...

Nicholas Orros

P.S. Just looked through the website and still can't see what you're talking about ? Maybe it's not posted online ?

Thanks

Old April 20th, 2005, 08:29 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Nicholas,
Sorry for the confusion, the listed link is for Motor & Diesel, which you asked for the other day.
http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/

The intercoolers are made by Allisport in the UK. The link is
http://www.allisport.com/list_coolers.php?cat_id=1

Andy is the contact there, they're great. They are actually making me a special "option 2" intercooler so I can still keep my A/C. The problem is the thicker "option 2" intercooler and the A/C's condenser don't fit in the allowed space. Hopefully this will work. All the MD kits come with Allisport intercoolers, they usually come with just a standard size "no frills" unit. The cost for the upgrade was 300 for option 1 and 365 for option 2. They claim the option 2 will increase power and torque by 30%. If you have any more questions let me know, I'd be more than happy to share my research with you.
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:38 PM
OBW_Canada
Stephen Cahill
D-90 Source Vendor

Hello all if you want bang for your buck there are intercoolers made in the USA that are 1/2 the cost when you take into consideration shipping. They are also better made.You have to remember 90 degrees F is not really known that often in the UK let alone 130 F.Oh my Gosh I am a Canadian telling Americans to by American.

Follow-up Post:

Hello Pendy
Ask dmarchand was there a problem with my pricing on parts.
Cahill the Terrible
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:31 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Update on PARTS KIT from Motor & Diesel

I joined the HS2800TDI (2.8 Powerstroke) group on yahoo and the guy from M&D Posted this about the kit, which he is now going to offer just as a KIT without the engine:

"...The price for NAS D90 V8 manual or auto kit follows..."

Kit 153 (no engine) 1650
Surcharge for air con kit with compressor, 295
Surcharge for high clamp 242mm clutch 175
Surcharge for Glow timer and loom kit, 55
Surcharge for heavy duty radiator, 199

Sheki, I don't know how much you paid for everything individually but how does this part list/kit look to you ?

Nicholas Orros

Old April 26th, 2005, 12:41 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Nicholas,
It seems like you would save money on buying the kit and the engine from someone like Stephen; however, the engine needs some modifications in order to fit. I don't recall all of the modifications off hand, some of them are the relocation of the turbo intake and the oil dipstick. I know there are others too. If you plan on doing the install yourself, my guess is you would save about $2000 over all. If you plan having someone else do the install for you might still see some modest saving left over. The kit with engine from M&D is ready for as bolt in as you can get. As far as the HD radiator, you should opt for that, especially since you are in hot FL and probably see a lot of mud too. I got the glow plug kit and I would recomend it as it will save you time trying to make one. The AC kit is on you if have/want to keep your AC. I'm assuming you'll also want the clutch clamp (I have Auto). Something else to consider is also upgrading the intercooler. If you order it through M&D it will be cheaper than getting it here (based on the numbers that were posted on the HS 2800Tdi group). Time may also be something to look into. I don't know how long you would have to wait on getting the engine from someone else. I've heard stories of people waiting months. David at M&D usually has them in stock.
You might want to ask around about how the engine is with a manual. I bought a 97' (auto) with the intention of installing this engine. I was told that even though the torque is just within spec of the transmission, that used as a daily driver in stop and go traffic (I live in the city) would destroy a manual tranny. Also with the high torque/low RPMs 1st gear because almost useless in an on road scenario. You probably could drive from a stop in 2nd gear.
Hope this helps.
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Question turbo spec?

Hello there,
just out of curiosity...
...does anyone know (JP?) how (easily) a 2.8 v turbo ($=?) can be adapted/fitted to a 300?

I'm just toying with the idea.

I have a pic of it somewhere but it doesn't tell so much.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:12 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

who says dream don't come true

1.5 yrs in the planning/wishing/hoping and it will be ready by the Rally, can't wait!
Things are going well to date; however, some mechanics still belive in hazing
Still don't know about fitting the XL intercooler with the A/C yet, I'll keep everyone posted and will post pics when it's all done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2497.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	3396  
Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
sweeet I want to get it down pat based on others experiences I think it could be possible. I have taken lots of notes
Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:50 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II
Hello there,
just out of curiosity...
...does anyone know (JP?) how (easily) a 2.8 v turbo ($=?) can be adapted/fitted to a 300?

I'm just toying with the idea.

I have a pic of it somewhere but it doesn't tell so much.

It can be done. M&D will sell you parts to do it. But it is not recomended. It coule shorten your life expectancy. I bought parts to do it and sold them on and bought the complete motor instead.

Is that purple haze?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:53 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I drove a 2.8 that was done by some duuuudes in Ks. AN awesome truck a 95 with leather seats
Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Wheres kansas?

Old July 4th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
It can be done. M&D will sell you parts to do it. But it is not recomended. (...)Is that purple haze?
Thanks...
...plan aborted then.

(purple haze?)
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:23 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II
Thanks...
...plan aborted then.

(purple haze?)
For David

Old July 13th, 2005, 09:15 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

disappointing update:
the XL intercooler was not able to fit! Apparently M&D's new motor mounts placed the engine about 1.75" closer to the front of the truck than than had on previous versions of the mounts. So for now I will just use the standard sized intercooler, with plans on installing a larger one in the winter. Just heads up to anyone looking to order the engine and kit from M&D, the supplied intercooler was welded very sloppily and they even left one seam unfinished. The intercoolers are supplied by AlliSport in the UK and although Andy at AlliSport is very nice and accommodating, the intercoolers I ordered were both a disappointment. You might want to see if David at M&D can supply an intercooler from Allard Turbo Sport. Additionally make sure you get the HD radiator, ask David M. about that one.
Other than that things are going well, I'll see you guys at the Rally.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions