International HS2.8L - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2005, 09:44 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

My trip to Brasil was delayed, so I haven't gone down there yet to investigate this as I said I was going to last month. I may be going next month, but if not, it will be the month after.

I fully plan to try to look up the source on these engines while there -- if someone could help direct me, that would be great. Does anyone have a contact phone number or information about the business location? Is that email address above a reseller, or the manufacturer? I'm flying into Sao Paulo, which, being the biggest city and industrial capital of Brasil, has a good chance of being where the engine is constructed or distributed from.

If I can remove a middle man or three I could save alot of cash on this -- and if so, I'd be tempted to grab one of these engines because $7500 is impractical for me right now.

With the price of gas on the rise and oil futures indicating that this may not be the end of the price hikes & it may be sustained at these prices, I am more tempted to do this than I was before. Hell, maybe I'll run the damn thing on biodiesel

As for emissions - I'm currenly living in a loophole in which I don't have to pass emissions because the vehicle is kept out-of-state from where it's registered (it helps having the name on property in two states). It is currently compliant anyway (stock V8 setup), but would not be legally so (even if actuals were acceptable) if I installed this engine -- if the California shock troops get wise to that, I might run into trouble with C.A.R.B.

How dirty is this engine, anyway? I think we have stricter emissions standards than almost anywhere else...some vehicles which pass EU standards still fail California standards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2005, 12:32 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I spoke to CARB and yes the engine would be a problem because it is not CA approved; however, it is a non issue as they will never see or verify the engine. From what I have been told by DMV is once the conversion is done you need to get it inspected at DMV then show them the paper work for the engine i.e. bill of sale, installation papers, etc. teh guy I spoke to said if need be you may need to take it to CHP to be verified. None of these people know what is going on with respect to the engine and it's elegibility. They are looking to see if it was installed properly and that it was not stolen. Should not be an issue, and in CA diesels are exempt from smog. the engine is however Euro II compliant, which doesn't mean much in the US but it is clean and most likely cleaner than your V8. It burns less fuel and is a 4 cyl engine vs. the V8.
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:13 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Jason, Pendy left the direct contact info a few posts back. It sounds like that is what you're looking for. Direct from the factory.

I don't think it's a carry-on though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2005, 05:26 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Well it's official. I bit the bullet and bought myself one of those fancy diesel engines today. I still feel a bit nauseous from spending that kind of cash, but I'll get over it. I got royally screwed by my banks exchange rate $1.9536 to 1. God that makes me sick, then again, it should only take me about 10 years to make that back in fuel savings. Unless gas keeps going up. Thanks to all who had the patience to tollerate all my emails and many questions. I'll post when it is all done, that should be early July.
Old April 13th, 2005, 05:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its only the first cash lay-out that hurts. Once you get on a roll, 150 here, 350 there, 500 here, 750 there, it really gets easy. Let us know what you spent when all is said and done
Old April 13th, 2005, 05:45 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I'd probably be to ashamed to admit it. I'll keep you posted.
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Thanks for all the info on this engine.
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:00 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

David,

please keep us posted. As another CA resident thinking of doing this conversion or a 300tdi, I'm interested in seeing how it goes with CARB and DMV.

Nice to meet you at RRV.

Read
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:21 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I thought about the 300tdi... for a minute. I thought about it because I figured it would cost a lot less than the 2.8. I called George at RDS, who had coincidentally just gotten a bunch of 300's in. He told me they were becoming harder to get new and the price was $11,000 for the complete engine and ancillaries. Everyone seems to agree that the 2.8 is a better engine, so for $1000 less I ordered one from M&D, which comes with a complete install kit. So unless you can find a used 300 (maybe in the UK) I would focus on the 2.8L. I will keep everyone posted with the progress of the engine install. The engine should ship from the UK in the next 5-10 days. As of now I plan on having an extra large intercooler install, but also bought a large intercooler too, just incase I had trouble fitting the bigger one. Which ever one I don't use is up for sale at my cost, if anyone is interested let me know. Either way both are uprated from the standard intercooler.
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:02 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

It would sure be interesting if you were able to take pictures as you go through this install.....since it seems like some of us will be going down that road in the not-too-distant future...
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:19 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

why wait, here is David Marchand's conversion
http://www.pbase.com/dmarchand/rover...and_conversion
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:12 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

It seems strange that a 300TDI would be any harder to get then an HS 2.8 considering they are still being made and put into Land Rovers. Plus they are made in the same factory as the HS2.8.
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
That is funny isnt it. My 300 is clearly labeled "made by international engines for land rover" along with "made in Argentina."

It definitely didnt cost 11,000, and it was new in the crate.
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:03 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Just passing along what I was told by George. I thought it very odd that a 300 was as much as a 2.8, but it made my decision making very easy.
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:46 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The man in question RDS claims there is a european spec and a south american spec version of the 300 tdi. And price varies with the differences. But the Brazil plant makes both versions. Engine kit prices have gone up.

Maybe the VW tdi option should be reinvestigated for a LR conversion Surely it would cost less then the rest.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:43 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

One question to all:
Where is 'M&D' ? Motor & Diesel ? Website ? I can't seem to find it.

David Shechter,
If you don't mind me asking ... How much did you pay for the engine & ancillaries & shipping ?

Is that all you need aside form installing it or paying someone to install it.

&

Jason,

I wish I could get one with you, I'm thinking next year sometime... Can't swing it right now, because of funds and because I don't really know exactly what path I'm going to take. Don't know where I"m getting the engine from, ancillaries-who knows... about the only thing I'm pretty sure about is having Jim P put the sucker in.

Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

mdengineering.co.uk

The kit comes with everything you need. Just have to install it. I paid 6080, but that included the two uprated Allisport intercoolers, I ordered their option 1&2 sizes as well as a HD radiator. Shipping is about $1000, with tax and fees. It hasn't shipped yet but that is the customs broker's estimate.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Kit 153B, HS 2.8 auto late.doc (40.5 KB, 447 views)
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Guys, don't forget the fact that your state may require you to pay sales tax on the kit. I got a bill today for $700 in taxes, and $300 in penalties because I didn't list the purchase on my state income tax forms in 2003.

Chris
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:31 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
mdengineering.co.uk
David,

Much appreciated information.
So you've paid $13,500 U.S. so far on the engine & everything needed to install ?

Any other costs besides getting someone to install it...? or are you going to do the install ?
If so, how much is that going to run you ?

THANKS,

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:22 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

looking at about $12,800 to date. Don't have a place or the confidence to install it myself, so I will have someone do it. Yes, more $$$, I know... I know.

Anyone want to buy a V8? only 160K miles on it.
I'll sell it for cheap

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions