International HS2.8L - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 27th, 2004, 11:57 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
V8 + Cummins = ?? They just do inline engines, don't they???????

Bingo

I believe that Bucky was shined on by some unreputable business.

JP

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
You don't have to run a high RPM to get the HP. Just high boost and fuel. About 17 lb's. It is fine like that as long as you keep the EGT's down. Sometimes that means slowing down on the hills. TDi's run fine with an auto. There is a guy on Pirate with an auto in a 110 and loves it. It is only 20 hp. I am sure you are right with the 80lbs of torque but for $5000? I run my engine at 70mph at 3,200 rpm. I plan to switch to a 1.2 t-case and get my cruising RPM to about 2,900. I am sure a 2.8 is as good as a V8 but the Rover V8's arn't very good, plus you just spent 10,000 dollars to get you back to the V8 power you once had. That is a whole crap load of gas. It's your money and the 2.8 seems like an awesome engine. My whole point is if you can have 300hp for the same price you are spending on 150, or you can have 150 hp for free, why not? Anyway, it's your call. Good luck.

More disinformation here.

The secret to the 2.8 TGV is the Variable Geometry Turbocharger. A desk top dyno is not going to tell you the real story of driveability. And the 2.8 TGV is hands down a better performer then anything you are talking about.

There are other stronger options but it certainly deserves more credit then your cheap bastard account portrays.

Haven't we had this discussion here before?
Before you take me on, remember I have been there done that.
But I look forward to any new relevant information that you can share with us.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I would never take you on, I know you know what you are talking about. I just don't get it. I never said anything about the 2.8 or how good it was. "It's your money and the 2.8 seems like an awesome engine." I admitted many times that I do not have any experience with this engine. I just think a small improvement for $5000 is not that wise.

"The secret to the 2.8 TGV is the Variable Geometry Turbocharger. A desk top dyno is not going to tell you the real story of driveability. And the 2.8 TGV is hands down a better performer then anything you are talking about."

Is it a better performer than a Cummins, or 350 or another diesel v8? It might be, I just don't see how.

I don't think a 150 hp or whatever it is engine is worth $10,000. And as to the Cummins, it could have very well been a 6 cylinder. It was a long time ago, but the shop was amazing and has a great reputation. Art, you can do what you want, I just can't see spending that kind of cash for a reletively small return, that is all.

Oh and Pendy, what about my last post is Disinformation? You relize I was talking the whole time about my 300 right?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 27th, 2004, 05:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm not exactly trying to jump onto the "bust Bucky's balls bandwagon" but the cost-benefit analysis is entirely up to the individual.

Whatever the $ per HP ratio is or whatever is totally irrelvant, its only a matter of what you want. I was getting a 2.8 TGV until it took so long to get here that my project was getting hosed. I sold it to the next guy in line and I went off to buy a 300Tdi, which actually cost more than the 2.8.

If someone wants to build a frankenstein cummings creature feature combo, thats their prerogative. I'll never hear the words "full pull" anywhere I go with my Rover so it just doesnt matter to me.

You pays your moneys you takes your choice you see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2004, 05:31 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Pendy - I agree. I love the variable nozzle turbo on the 2.8. Just wish there was a 4.0 version of this engine. I'll have to talk to you offline about my 6.5. It's totally mechanical so no ECU. I've played around with the IP timing and there's not much left to do with the gearing (short of the OD/gear splitter I've been searching for) so the only thing left AFAIK is maybe High Pop Injectors.

David - I've got a 1.2 transfer case sitting in my garage. If you're interested, I'll make you a killer deal on it. Since you're so close, it'd be easy for you to drop by and pick it up. Also, maybe I'd finally have a chance to check out your truck and the Tdi.
Old December 27th, 2004, 09:14 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Again, I wouldn't spend $10K outright to get this setup. I'll be selling off the Tdi/R380 to get it down to $5K, hopefully.

Getting a ZF and great range for $5K is worth it to me. It will take me 100K miles to recover the cost, compared to a 350/700R4 setup which is the only other option. Truck's going to stay with me for at least that long and more so why not go for it.

So, Pendy, who's running this setup out there???
Old December 27th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thats really nice of you ryan. Let me see if my hookup is still on the horizon. I am waiting to see if the new intercooler will solve my heat issues before I lower the gearing and cause more heat. Bust Bucky's balls is a good one. I agree with you all, you can do whatever you want with your own money. Like Pendy said, I am a cheap bastard.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:53 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I would never take you on, I know you know what you are talking about. I just don't get it. I never said anything about the 2.8 or how good it was. "It's your money and the 2.8 seems like an awesome engine." I admitted many times that I do not have any experience with this engine. I just think a small improvement for $5000 is not that wise.

"The secret to the 2.8 TGV is the Variable Geometry Turbocharger. A desk top dyno is not going to tell you the real story of driveability. And the 2.8 TGV is hands down a better performer then anything you are talking about."

Is it a better performer than a Cummins, or 350 or another diesel v8? It might be, I just don't see how.

I don't think a 150 hp or whatever it is engine is worth $10,000. And as to the Cummins, it could have very well been a 6 cylinder. It was a long time ago, but the shop was amazing and has a great reputation. Art, you can do what you want, I just can't see spending that kind of cash for a reletively small return, that is all.

Oh and Pendy, what about my last post is Disinformation? You relize I was talking the whole time about my 300 right?
Sorry for busting your balls. I was just agrivated with you about the v-8 cummins thing.

I understand what you were trying to say. He would be better off extracting more power from what he has already. Rather then spend more money.

The 2.8 TGV diesel is a good choice for the D90 manual and auto tans. It has more useable power and does not fall autside the strength of the vehicles drivetrain.

That shop mislead you about installing a cummins engine in your Defender. I would be more then happy to contact them directly and investigate this phenominom. sp.

Art you should talk to Dmarch about his project. Although I think he still needs to fine tune his transmission. All the 2.8's in defenders I am 'familar' with are manuals. But I am 'familar' with a few 2.8'/auto's in RRC's and Discos. Heavier vehicles.

A heavyer D110 is to much for this powerplant IMO. The 3.9 gas v8 is to small as well. But both will work well enough. And 36" and larger tires are very taxing on it as well.

But 36" and larger tires need bigger drivetrain parts so at that point one might consider a '350' or similar larger hp engine. With overall weight as a consideration as well. Overall weight and driveability is why the 2.8 TGV is such a good choice.

So lets all reread this post and get back on track. I still >>heart<< you bucky.

JP

Old December 28th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

"I still >>heart<< you bucky."

You can't help it. I am beautiful.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 29th, 2004, 06:31 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I know I'm really late on this thread but I have looked at the 2.8 as well and have one question/comment.

How are the parts availability? If you thought the TDI's were bad wait till you try and find parts for the 2.8.

I have been told it is now possible to get used 2.8's as they are have been used in the Ford Ranger in South America for awhile now. That should be a cheaper option if the price is the deal breaker.

Does anyone know what transmission is used with the 2.8 in the Ford ranger? Could make life easier if it's North American.
Old January 5th, 2005, 11:24 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Year 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Michael,

Some folks say it is approved and some say it isn't. There are folks in the US with the engine. You can get the engine from Brasil for under $3k (brand new).
Hey John/Giampaulo...

I'm still waiting to see where I can get this engine for under $3,000 U.S. Dollars ...

Nicholas Orros

Old January 5th, 2005, 11:39 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Nicholas,

You can call me John if you want. I'm still waiting on my friend to send me the link again of the website. As soon as I get the link I will pass it on to you folks. The price (retail) was right on the website.
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:09 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Waiting with baited breath.

JP

Old January 6th, 2005, 03:30 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Well, it looks like the price of the engine went up.... makes sense since I checked the website back in 2003 and the brasilian currency was at 0,25 back then, it's now at 0,36.

Here's the email I received from them:

Prezado Sr. Giampaulo,

Primeiramente, agradecemos o seu interesse pelo nosso produto.

O preço do nosso motor HS 2.8L TGV é de US$ 4.100 (FOB - Rio Grande).

O prazo de entrega é de 60 dias após confirmado da proforma invoice.

Qualquer informação adicional, estou à disposição.

Atenciosamente,

Vanessa Z. de Siqueira
International Sales
International Engines South America

Obviously, that's retail.... I wonder how much wholesale is??? I am planning on going down there in Feb, maybe I'll stop by and ask.
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Somebody with money just needs to buy 10. That rules me out.
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:53 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Investors!!!!
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:13 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yeah, that's why I put 'Year 2005' in my above message.

So, forgive me for not speaking or reading Spanish, I didn't think we were in Miami....

That's $4100 U.S. ? Shipping ?

Nicholas Orros

Old January 6th, 2005, 04:39 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Spanish won't help you too much, that's Portuguese

I'll be in Brasil next month - any merit to my checking on something while I'm there? I'm flying into Sao Paulo. I'm very interested in getting rid of my 3.9L as well, but the $10K price tag is something I have to say is ridiculous. If I can pick one up on the cheap in Brasil, well, that's another story.

Has anyone done a TD5 upgrade to their NAS Defender? Has anyone done a cost/benefit study on that? Over in Europe I see alot of TD5s running around - they seem to be well-liked. What are the chances of getting ahold of one and wiggling it into my D90? What are the specs on the TD5 compared to the other diesel candidates here?

I dream of better mileage and highway speeds uphill....
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
RDS brings in that stuff all the time. TD5 even has an EPA number. Just buy a rolling chassis from George and swap over. Dont tell him I sent you, he'll charge me extra.

I dont think that engine swapping will ever be a justifiable on anyone's cost-benefit analysis.
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The big downside to the TD5s is that they REQUIRE programing from the Rover specific diag computer to run and to be checked. Difficult if you are in North America.
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:58 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Jason,

YES! Please check if you can... I'm sure a lot of people on this board are wondering.

Oh, and sorry for the Spanish/Portugese mistake... I'm about as American as they come.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND PLEASE KEEP ME IN MIND.

-----------------

Yes TD5 means computah's... so does the 3.0 Powerstroke out soon... too many electronics.

Nicholas Orros

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions