International HS2.8L - Page 18 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
No problem Michael.

Funny you mention this. I have an ISSPRO EGT gauge and noticed for a while the gauge would run normal and every once in a while would do this wild and crazy needle vibration. I tried everything, unhooking things, etc. Last week I pulled the gauge itself and replaced with a VDO. SO now I'm waiting to see if that cures it. So far, so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM
aloharover
Peter
1970 Series IIa 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverowner
Explain an 'octane booster' option. Also what is recommended for lubricity and how often.
What you are looking for is a cetane booster/fuel conditioner.
Stanadyne (same company that makes IPs) makes a couple of different products, both warm weather and cold weather formulas.
1qt bottle treats 60 gals of fuel. Markings on the side of the bottle so you know how much to add based on how much "new" fuel you add to the tank.
It gets added at every fill up.
Been using it for 4 years now based upon recomendations I got from a diesel BB.
I get 24mpg year round in the 6.2na
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Aloharover: What mpg were you getting before the using the Stanadyne products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Just a little update, I filled the truck up with 99.9% biodiesel last night. When I got out of the truck to start pumping, the entire station smelled like veggie oil... how awesome is that. The truck ran almost instantly smoother and quieter, I paid $3.49 a gallon vs. $2.99 for regular diesel in Los Angeles. I am more than happy to pay the extra $.50 per gallon for all the benefits associated with the bio. Now my exhaust fumes smell like a fast food restaurant.

Aside from this I now have 18k miles of the engine and am now getting 24mpg (or at lest I did on my last fill up) It was a very long time ago, so there may be some error in the milage. I'll see how the bio does on my mpg scale.

What about you guys? How are things going with your transplants?
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:45 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Thanks for the update Sheki!

Since I got our TDI Jetta, I've noticed a much quieter and smoother engine too when I run BioD in it. I have been running B20 lately because there's still the potential for freezing around here and I don't want it to gel. My guess is that with the B99.9 you will take a small hit on MPG's because biodiesel is slightly less energy dense than D2. I am really surprised however that biodiesel costs more than D2, around here the B20 is about $0.10 cheaper than the other D2 pumps and the higher blends of BioD get slightly cheaper still.

As for the conversion, I wish I could say I had a diesel in the D-90. It's just not going to happen yet with the V8 having quite a few more miles left in it before it quits. On the flip-side, during the rebuild that I'm doing, I'm making all the fuel lines biodiesel ready with full teflon liners inside. That way the engine swap will be much easier in the future when I'm ready for it. I am absolutely loving the Jetta though, you just can't beat 44 MPG out of nearly every tank. One time when I tried to deliberately drive it hard the MPG for the tank dropped down to 41 MPG - that was pedal to the metal from every stop light and near 80 on every freeway trip (freeway trips are fairly infrequent). Can't wait to come up with some cash for some injectors and a chip... ahem.

One day I will have a diesel D-90 though!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:02 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Don't know why the bio is more than regular diesel either, I suppose if it was produced in higher quantities it would drop significantly in price; however, the price has not changed in a year. Since it isn't dependent on politics and OPEC the price should not fluctuate like fossil fuels. The only major reason why I can see the price jumping up is if there were some major weather issues and crops were effected.

Since filling up last night I have driven 50 miles and consumed 1/8 of my tank (according to my fuel gauge... but we all know how those things go).

I will be heading to Baja next week for a few days and plan on filling my 4 Jerry cans with B99. We will be spending one night in the mountains and the temperatures can reach freezing , so I may mix in 20% regular diesel to bring up the gel point a little, just to be on the safe side.

The novelty of the cooking oil spell still trips me out. When I stop at a traffic light and have a slight tailwind I get a good whiff of the exhaust. It's so awesome.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:27 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

My 300 Tdi transplant is going quite well...mileage has drifted down to 26mpg during the cold weather...at first I was very worried about the below freezing weather but it started all the time no problem...I was amazed since my old GMC diesel blazer froze solid at anything around freezing let alone below...as to biodiesel, I'm not brave enough to try your blend but will go for B10 that is sold around here...does anyone know who sells fuel line kits?
George
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

I am putting in a second fuel filter. I bought all the banjo barbs and banjo bolts for the additional fuel lines from the local Dipaco dealer . Nice stuff.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Just a little update, I filled the truck up with 99.9% biodiesel last night. When I got out of the truck to start pumping, the entire station smelled like veggie oil... how awesome is that. The truck ran almost instantly smoother and quieter, I paid $3.49 a gallon vs. $2.99 for regular diesel in Los Angeles. I am more than happy to pay the extra $.50 per gallon for all the benefits associated with the bio. Now my exhaust fumes smell like a fast food restaurant.

Aside from this I now have 18k miles of the engine and am now getting 24mpg (or at lest I did on my last fill up) It was a very long time ago, so there may be some error in the milage. I'll see how the bio does on my mpg scale.

What about you guys? How are things going with your transplants?
24mpg! That is kick but! I am seriously looking at straight vegatable oil, but I have to do a little research to make sure the fuel injection pump and injectors are ok with it, not to mention the seals. Anyone have any facts on this?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'm dumping my 2.8 for a v8 chevy crate motor. I just want to burn some rubber.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

i am putting two snow blowers - 9hp/28"cut each - on the front. Will leave mohawk in the driveway!
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:41 AM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

Just an update; I got the truck to a point where I had no more time for it. I then took it into a shop where it sat for 3 months and they jerked me around while doing all of 5 hours of work on it from what I can tell.

It is now in a much happier shop and should have it done in a month or so. Getting new shocks and spring and some other things while I'm at it. Sure wish I had planned better but life happens. It's nice to see biodiesel cheaper than both #2 and unleaded around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:28 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

It's just nice to see diesel cheaper than regular gas. In Los Angeles #2 is about $3.09 and regular unleaded is about $3.39. Since I have had my diesel this is the first time I've seen diesel cheaper than gas.

Old April 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
It's just nice to see diesel cheaper than regular gas. In Los Angeles #2 is about $3.09 and regular unleaded is about $3.39. Since I have had my diesel this is the first time I've seen diesel cheaper than gas.
Here in RI we are also finally seeing regular fuel priced below diesel. Nice to see.... $2.89-2.99 for diesel and about $3.05-3.20 for regular.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:17 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Anyone see the International 3.0 CRD in person yet?
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Diesel in upstate NY is about $2.87 now. I should be burning oil in a month or so.
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:48 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarey
Just an update; I got the truck to a point where I had no more time for it. I then took it into a shop where it sat for 3 months and they jerked me around while doing all of 5 hours of work on it from what I can tell.

It is now in a much happier shop and should have it done in a month or so. Getting new shocks and spring and some other things while I'm at it. Sure wish I had planned better but life happens. It's nice to see biodiesel cheaper than both #2 and unleaded around here.
Peter - Glad to hear you're getting the conversion back on track. Let me know when you have it running. I'm getting very close on mine. The drivetrain is completely in place, and I have to finish up the wiring, hoses, shifter, etc. I've run into many roadblocks since I wasn't converting a stock truck. But I think I've finally cleared most of the hurdles. I need to get this thing running before I run out of space for all the WVO I'm collecting!

BTW, I tried to reply to your last E-mail, but it bounced.
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:08 AM
PlantDriver
Craig Reece
1973 Series/Defender 100"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
24mpg! That is kick but! I am seriously looking at straight vegatable oil, but I have to do a little research to make sure the fuel injection pump and injectors are ok with it, not to mention the seals. Anyone have any facts on this?
Yup. Check out the buildup of my Defender/Series 100" 300 Tdi here: http://www.roverhybrids.com/D100_build_up.html

And Shane Ballensky, who built it, is doing a 110 Hi-Cap pickup with a 2.8, and it will run on WVO (waste vegetable oil.) Buildup pics and text on his 'site.

Jim Pendleton is just wrapping up a 300Tdi swap into a D90 (and next will be 110 Hi-Cap for the same guy) both running WVO with our systems (http://www.plantdrive.com)

And Ryan Sakurada, who just chimed in, will run PlantDrive stuff on his 2.8 110 (and he's installed our 6.0 Powerstoke kit on a 2004 Ford truck, so he's all warmed up!)

Any questions, shoot me an email at craigreece@plantdrive.com, but spend some time on the website first - the FAQ has a lot of good info, and read "Used Cooking Oil Fuel the Easy Way" on the homepage - look for the bag o' frenchfries logo.

Craig Reece
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Figures....I leave the country and Diesel prices get better. Is there anyone in AZ that can tell me what they are?

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:30 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

I've heard that the 2.8 is "underpowered" for a 110.
Any feedback from 110/2.8 owners?
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:37 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I have one in the shop right now that is 2.8 w/ auto and is possibly one of the slowest things I have ever driven. It is not designed for speed / performance, but it definately needs help, with both power output and overheating issues (that is why it is here). Has trouble maintaining highway speeds and overheats when doing so.

Not to worry though as we have a cure for all of that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions