International HS2.8L - Page 16 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Art - Nice setup. What is the control module for? Is it just signal conditioning for the TC mV output or does it have other functions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yes, it's just a signal amplifier. I went with the black on white gauge so it would stand out more as it is a critical reading. Also put it right next to the tach.

I do find myself checking it way too often though. I guess that's a curse of running a diesel.

Next up is:

- shutdown timer fro the turbo
- replace exhaust with 3" straight
- tune up the pump
- replace the intercooler
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Warmest day so far has been 75F driving, 30 minutes stop and go driving, trans temp was 135F. Most likely the B&M supercooler, it is about the size of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper x about 1" thick and mounted between the grill and a/c. I put this in to keep things cooler in the summer months, as tranmission heat heats up the cab quite a bit on long trips. Will most likely need to bypass this outside the summer months unless the grill bib does the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2006, 09:24 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Yes, it's just a signal amplifier. I went with the black on white gauge so it would stand out more as it is a critical reading. Also put it right next to the tach.

I do find myself checking it way too often though. I guess that's a curse of running a diesel.

Next up is:

- shutdown timer fro the turbo
- replace exhaust with 3" straight
- tune up the pump
- replace the intercooler
Hey Art, for Tractor trailers and tractors, their is a little module you can buy and hook up to the EGT sender and ignition that will prevent shut down of the engine if the EGT's are too high (mine is at above 600). Can't remember the name of it, but next time I have the dash open, I can get it if you like. But even if you remove the key from the ignition, it will continue to run the engine until it's cooled sufficiently. Of course, I have a kill switch so as to prevent injury if immediate shut down is required.
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:41 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Michael,

The auto tranny cooler is purposely placed low in front so it is not in the full flow of air as this may over cool the fluid. Looks like that's what's happening here. An inline temp switch should work allowing flow only at a predetermined temp.

Dave,

Yes, I have read up on those - just have to pick one but wouldn't mind knowing what you use. I have also read that 350 or so is an ideal temp to shutdown but you're at 600? Waiting for it drop to 350 is a choir.

I do plan on fitting a kill switch - both to prevent starting and to shut down.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Authur:

Great suggestion, and it is very do-able. I will look for a temperature switch that also has a manual override if there is such a thing.

BD diesel has a cool down timer that uses standard "k type???" EGT probe. I was thinking of getting one that works with their X-monitor, but for now I let the engine idle under 1000 rpm for 30 seconds prior to shut-down and applying throttle, as the manual suggests.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:23 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yes, my probe is a K type - pretty standard. If the target temp for shutdown is 600F then, yes, i can get there in 30 seconds or so. If it's 400F it takes quite a bit longer.

What is this "applying the throttle"? Never heard of it. When and how much?
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

"applying the throttle" - Kind of confusing in that sentence. I was referring to letting the engine run for about 30 seconds after starting to allow new oil into the turbo.

B&M has an "oil thermostat control valvle" that does just what you described, allows 10% to cooler all the time, and then 100% above 180F.

Follow-up Post:

The BD cool down timer can be adjusted to shut down the engine at a desired EGT on your gauge. You can set it for whatever you want.
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:07 PM
aloharover
Peter
1970 Series IIa 105

Quote:
Two points:

1. Reading EGT before the turbo is preferred. That's my setup and I can get to 1000F on any real hill (300Tdi). Your 600F reading is not the true temp the motor is experiencing.

2. That temp for the auto tranny is awfully low. I think it should be 175-185 as a minimum.
I know that GM installs the probe after the turbo.
On the tranny with the GM 700R4 you are burning up the fluid if it gets that hot.
Normal temp is down below 140, more like 125-130 depending on driving conditions

Pete
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

It's rather simple: do you want to measure EGT at the engine or after the turbo? For me it's more informative to know the higher temp at the engine. I can still use that temp to extrapolate for the turbo temp for a shutdown timer.

I do not think any tranny burns fluid at 175-185! Think about it: if that's the water temp, and many trannies use just a radiator cooler (built into the main radiator, not an auxiliary cooler) the fluid cools to the water temp. I'm talking pan temp here, not fluid coming straight from the torque converter as it will be higher.

Which begs the question, Michael, where are you measuring the temp? Should be at the pan.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Aurthur:

The temp is being measured in the trans cooler line, about 3' downstream from the oil pumps's outlet (the one at 6 o'clock). It has not passed through the cooler yet.

I will be covering up half of the trans cooler to see what effect it has. This should not block off air to the radiator as there is a 2 " space between the cooler and radiator.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Also, at this time, my trans cooler circuit does not go through the radiator.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:02 PM
aloharover
Peter
1970 Series IIa 105

Quote:
I do not think any tranny burns fluid at 175-185! Think about it: if that's the water temp, and many trannies use just a radiator cooler (built into the main radiator, not an auxiliary cooler) the fluid cools to the water temp. I'm talking pan temp here, not fluid coming straight from the torque converter as it will be higher.
My temp sender is in the pan per my tranny builder.
The other option was inline, prior to going to the cooler.
This is from ATI, not a local corner shop. They built me a HD 700r4 for my tow rig.

ATF does indeed burn if it gets that hot. ATF has a relatively high flash point of around 390*f but don't confuse this with burning the fluid.
Petroleum based ATF begins breaking down at 170*f but you really need to keep the temp down below 160 to be safe.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Aurthur:

The temp is being measured in the trans cooler line, about 3' downstream from the oil pumps's outlet (the one at 6 o'clock). It has not passed through the cooler yet.

I will be covering up half of the trans cooler to see what effect it has. This should not block off air to the radiator as there is a 2 " space between the cooler and radiator.
Dont do that if you are running stanard ATF. Its working perfectly.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
B&M has an "oil thermostat control valvle" that does just what you described, allows 10% to cooler all the time, and then 100% above 180F.
That is designed for engine oil coolers not tranny coolers
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Pete,

Thanks for the help. The tranmission fluid from the factory is indeed ATF Dexron III so for now I will leave the circuit the way it is.

What temps do you get in the pan?
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:21 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Mike,

Here's some links I quickly dug up with good info. Again, I've always known 175F to be normal - pan temp. I've never had a temp gauge in any car/truck. Regular changes and no problems ever.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/maintain/a...smission1.html
http://www.goodsamers.com/members/ar...icleid=1070173
http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/tra...expectancy.htm
http://www.lubeoilsales.com/products/atf.htm
http://www.icarumba.com/cobrands/con...ansmission.asp
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

I currently have AMSOIL Universal ATF in there, and 100-130F looks like it is right in the middle of the "good zone" on AMSOILS's chart in http://www.lubeoilsales.com/products/atf.htm. So for the fluid, it is fine.

What I have to find out are ZF group's temperature specs. I will try to check it out.
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Inside of the blown engine

The attached pdf files are pictures of the cylinders and pistons.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HS28LBLOCK 001.pdf (696.2 KB, 314 views)
File Type: pdf HS28LBLOCK 002.pdf (707.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: pdf HS28LBLOCK 003.pdf (564.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: pdf HS28LBLOCK 004.pdf (595.6 KB, 144 views)
File Type: pdf HS28LBLOCK 005.pdf (613.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: pdf HS28LBLOCK 006.pdf (689.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: pdf HS28LBLOCK 007.pdf (644.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: pdf HS28LBLOCK 008.pdf (717.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: pdf HS28LBLOCK 009.pdf (728.9 KB, 142 views)
File Type: pdf HS28LBLOCK 010.pdf (611.5 KB, 162 views)
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:48 PM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Quick update (from a Disco guy).....

My swap is complete and on the road (I will get some photos uploaded later). I will be able to give good info on cooling once I get back to AZ (going to NC to get my roof rack). Maybe I will get to 'swim Houston'....

I will have to say that I love the sound of the engine and the turbo. I have a snorkel on mine so I get to hear the engine 'growl' away (standard exaust pipes from M&D).

Info for all - Make sure that all of your hoses are secure (that and make sure they are EXACTLY what came off, let's say, your steering gear box as an example), unless you like unplanned camping trips in Oaklahoma truck stops....for example.

Jim - thanks again for the rescue.....

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Glad to help.

Sometime its hard to know when to use the old parts that are working or install new parts that are part of a kit. Regardless, we all have had problems with new parts failing prematurely. Both OEM and aftermarket in my experience.
Even a year in the desert war can hardly prepare you for a Oklahoma truck stop. Lucky you did not have any lot lizard encounters.

Roll on
JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

If I did find any of them.....it would have been thier lucky day, I usually have a gun in the truck. Buying a chair for the rest of the trip....just in case.

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions