International HS2.8L - Page 15 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

On the Road Again!

Been driving for a week now - very impressive engine for the Discovery 1 even with the the stock ZF auto. I am starting to really wibder why gas engines even exist. Running at about 190 degrees (water temp).

Will be opening up first engine over the next few weeks to determine if repairable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2006, 03:02 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Been driving for a week now - very impressive engine for the Discovery 1 even with the the stock ZF auto. I am starting to really wibder why gas engines even exist. Running at about 190 degrees (water temp).

Michael, am I reading you correctly? Did you put one of these International 2.8 TGV's in your Disco-I (with a ZF auto)?
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzel

Michael, am I reading you correctly? Did you put one of these International 2.8 TGV's in your Disco-I (with a ZF auto)?
Yes, that is correct. Mated to the stock 4HP22. It is M&D's Kit. The Transmissin is not a perfect match, but it is pretty darn good IMHO. and I am very happy with it. I am not using the kick down cable at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2006, 03:58 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Yes, that is correct. Mated to the stock 4HP22. It is M&D's Kit. The Transmissin is not a perfect match, but it is pretty darn good IMHO. and I am very happy with it. I am not using the kick down cable at the moment.
Explain this not using the kickdown cable please. You mean, it's not connected to the throttle body? How's the shift up/down behavior?

And lastly, your comments are worthless without pics!
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM
OBW_Canada
Stephen Cahill
D-90 Source Vendor

Hey Dave
I wonder how long befor he rebuilds the transmission. How is yours working now?
Stephen
Old April 26th, 2006, 11:40 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You'll toast your transmission running without the kickdown cable.

Try to just run it with complete slack until you decide to have me get one built for you.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

hate to just ask this outright, but curious as to costs. it looks to be around $10k, give or take, for the motor and bits from M&D. what are people seeing as shop costs to actually install the 2.8? Is around $15k a good number to work from if not doing it one's self? thanks.
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

The kick down cable is not attached opposite the throttle, but it is still in the transmission, so I don't see why there should be a problem. Why do I get the feeling I am going to learn another hard lesson?

The automatic shifting on the way up is pretty decent as far as shift points and very smooth as for the actual shifting. When I need to bring it down a gear, I just down shift. It definetly "feels" like all the gears, especially gear 4, could be a bit higher, so I haven't had to down shift that much.

Will post some pics.

"Experience is the worst teacher. It gives the test before the lesson."

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Donaldson
hate to just ask this outright, but curious as to costs. it looks to be around $10k, give or take, for the motor and bits from M&D. what are people seeing as shop costs to actually install the 2.8? Is around $15k a good number to work from if not doing it one's self? thanks.
I did the conversion myself, but I think installation would be around $2500 - $3000.00 plus the removed engine, at least on the Discovery. I wouldn't bet money on my figures though! Heck, I would convert a Disco for that much!
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:35 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
The kick down cable is not attached opposite the throttle, but it is still in the transmission, so I don't see why there should be a problem. Why do I get the feeling I am going to learn another hard lesson?

The automatic shifting on the way up is pretty decent as far as shift points and very smooth as for the actual shifting. When I need to bring it down a gear, I just down shift. It definetly "feels" like all the gears, especially gear 4, could be a bit higher, so I haven't had to down shift that much.

Will post some pics.

"Experience is the worst teacher. It gives the test before the lesson."

Follow-up Post:

I did the conversion myself, but I think installation would be around $2500 - $3000.00 plus the removed engine, at least on the Discovery. I wouldn't bet money on my figures though! Heck, I would convert a Disco for that much!
If the throttle cable for the transmission is not attached to the main throttle cable through the injection pump you will burn up the transmission with extended use. You could learn another hard lesson. Maybe find a worshop manual and try to read up on your transmission.

JP

Old April 27th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Throttle

Is this shematice representative of the ZF Autos? So if the throttle pressure is low, and the governor "pressure" is high, does it push the shift valve too much and blocks fluid to clutches and bands?

So, if I set the throttle pressure at the highest, or full slack, there will always be enough, or will it push the shift valve too much and block fluid to clutches and bands?
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:41 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Your on the right track. I'll brush up as well and help talk you through this. But like your picture illustrates the cable has a valve it needs to divert fluid flow under engine load circumstances. So that should tell you what you need to know.

JP

Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Needless to say, the kick down cable is back on the lever, only this time I attached it to the slot closest to the pivot(#4). I had originally attached it to the slot farthest from the center of rotation. It is much, much better.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You can put a little slack to it also if it still shifts a bit to soon.

I'll still try to post up the technical explanation why not to leave it disconected when I find the brush.

JP

Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Heres a pic

I have not tested the Hydronic in its current position, so I don't know yet if it will work this high up in the circuit. It would be nice if it did!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diesco1.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	5615  
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

update for disco diesel re-power

Update:

Just went through first tank of diesel. Sill no official mileage numbers seems to be very good just from the amount of time it took to use up the first tank.

Engine:

running great, nice sound. reminds me of a siamese cat's purring.

Temps good. Exhaust Gas temperatures good (max up a hill is 600F, and that is right downstream from the turbo

Transmision:

running great, good shifts. solid power transfer. whistling sound.

I have been paying allot of attention to the tranmission - maybe too much since I am paranoid. Trans Temperatures at 120F upstream from a B&M oil cooler.
I do notice a "whistling" in the transmission that increases in pitch as engine speed increases. Since I wasn't really paying attention prior to the re-power, whether it was there or not, I do not know - I am original owner and truck currently has 60,000 on the drivetrain. The workshop manual states that "intermittant power with whining sound" is caused by either low fluid or restricted filter. I have full power, but this whining (It sounds more like a whistle to me) sound is definetely there. Fluid level is good. When I did the repower, I did change the tranmission fluid, but not the filter. I have read on discoweb and d-90 boards that the cleaning properties of new fluid loosen up some "old stuff" an can all of a sudden restrict the filter. I am going to change the filter this weekend (I just soaked those cross member bolts with Blaster) and see if it goes away.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:16 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Two points:

1. Reading EGT before the turbo is preferred. That's my setup and I can get to 1000F on any real hill (300Tdi). Your 600F reading is not the true temp the motor is experiencing.

2. That temp for the auto tranny is awfully low. I think it should be 175-185 as a minimum.
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Two points:

1. Reading EGT before the turbo is preferred. That's my setup and I can get to 1000F on any real hill (300Tdi). Your 600F reading is not the true temp the motor is experiencing.

2. That temp for the auto tranny is awfully low. I think it should be 175-185 as a minimum.
Thanks artm

1. I would have liked to place the EGT probe prior to turbo, but didn't want to drill a hole in the manifold. Where exactly is the probe on your's?

2. I haven't driven more than 15 miles on any one trip. How long does it take for fluid to reach that temperature.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

before the turbo?

can others confirm this? my GMC has the probe after the turbo...
George
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

update of update

Thanks Luis C. and Matt from Overland Engineering.
I checked for the sound while in park, and the whistle is still there! As you explained, it is the turbo.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Bellow are pics of my setup. It's an ISSPRO gauge and thermocouple. I had EGR in mine (now removed) which made it easy to install - just fab up a plate and bolt it where the EGR was. The control module is the green box on the bulkhead. I only need to wrap the wiring with some protective cover. Even drilling into the manifold isn't a big deal. Slow and steady...

As for the tranny temp, it should be up to normal with 15 minutes of driving - assuming the outside temp isn't too cold.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aut_8218.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	5641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aut_8220.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	5642  

Name:	Aut_8221.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	5643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aut_8222.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	5644  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions