International HS2.8L - Page 12 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM
OBW_Canada
Stephen Cahill
D-90 Source Vendor

Hello David check your Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Yeah, I have a hard time buying it. The 2.8 service manual says max oopening of the thermostat happens at 216 degrees. Seems like a long way from 230+. Do you have this in writing from them?
Hello David am sending you the doc file on comparisons of the 3 engines. Remember that temp is with the system pressurised to 18 PSI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Got it, thanks. Although www.convertme.com is probably not a good link...

I'm surprised to see it at 230. I've seen 220 and it scared me. I guess I need a boost gauge to get a better idea of where I stand.
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM
OBW_Canada
Stephen Cahill
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Got it, thanks. Although www.convertme.com is probably not a good link...

I'm surprised to see it at 230. I've seen 220 and it scared me. I guess I need a boost gauge to get a better idea of where I stand.
Hello David
Sorry that link should be

http://www.convert-me.com/en/

You may want to look into
http://www.evanscooling.com/

It is said it does not like cold weather though.

Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hey Stephen - LRM sez that the 300tdi has dropped out of production now - is this true? If so, then anyone wanting a _new_ engine will have to go with a 2.8 unless a NOS 300 can be found.
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM
OBW_Canada
Stephen Cahill
D-90 Source Vendor

Hello Jim Re 300TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Hey Stephen - LRM sez that the 300tdi has dropped out of production now - is this true? If so, then anyone wanting a _new_ engine will have to go with a 2.8 unless a NOS 300 can be found.
Hello Jim

If it is out of production it is news to me.I just got new pricing on them last month. Will ask in the morning as I have to call on another matter.I have the calendar of what is being built for the next 6 months at the different factories in South America.Will have to look to make sure. The difference in cost of a new 300TDI and a new 2.8 TGV is only 300.00 USD.(through our company) You could always go for the I6 but who needs 185 HP.
If you want to keep abreast of the developments on the South American diesels our new web site

www.obwcanada.com

has a forum for that. With the adapters for the 2.8 TGV it can be used in close to 50 different models of vehicles things are a bit busy.

Stephen
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Gauges and Senders:

What gauges are compatible with the stock water temp sender on the HS2.8L?

Stock Trans Temp (ZF auto)?
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Hey Michael... what ever happened with your engine? You've been pretty quite.

I used all VDO Vision gauges, replaced all my gauges for continuity. I like the new gauges, very clean looking and they all work very well. The programmable speedo makes things easy.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Hi David. Thanks for asking. Very humbling exerience. But that Espar does sound like a jet engine! I almost sh*& myself when I first ran it, and told everyone to evacuate the house!

One of the cylinders (#3) has very low compression (about 100 psi). We don't know exactly what is causing the low compression yet as I have decided to delay working on this until the springtime.
Something definetly blew in the oil circuit as the water cooling circuit was heavily contaminated with engine oil - whether it's just head gasket is uknown. I will post info when I know

In the meantime, I opted to get a second engine (ouch - had to take a loan out) after M&D gave me a good deal on it due to the circumstances.

I am surprised that the whole factory workshop manually does not stress the importance of the oil level.
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
In the meantime, I opted to get a second engine (ouch - had to take a loan out) after M&D gave me a good deal on it due to the circumstances.
Sorry to hear about the trouble; however, I'm glad you are persevering. I suppose someone will get a good deal on a very slightly used diesel engine. You should contact Pendy, I know he is interested in sticking one in a P38 RR.

Those Espar heater are awesome! Pendy and I too were freaked when we turned that thing on for the first time. Even more so because it was smoking from being fired up for the first time.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:28 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You can use VDO for the trans. Only problem is their guage goes to 400+ degrees. I think if a ZF ever sees that, it's baked. So it's not a great gauge as the temp is always low and hard to read.

Are you planning on towing anything?
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

David: It sound like the VDO gauges can be hooked right to existing senders. Is this what you meant?

Thanks.
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:45 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
if its like the 300tdi, you have to order the sender also which is just a direct replacement for the stock sender. it screws right in. THe VDO is nice and acurate and shows actual temp not like the LR gauge with the H and C on it... I still want to hook up an EGT gauge one day.
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Sorry, definitely use the VDO senders.
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM
OBW_Canada
Stephen Cahill
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Hi David. Thanks for asking. Very humbling exerience. But that Espar does sound like a jet engine! I almost sh*& myself when I first ran it, and told everyone to evacuate the house!

One of the cylinders (#3) has very low compression (about 100 psi). We don't know exactly what is causing the low compression yet as I have decided to delay working on this until the springtime.
Something definetly blew in the oil circuit as the water cooling circuit was heavily contaminated with engine oil - whether it's just head gasket is uknown. I will post info when I know

I am surprised that the whole factory workshop manually does not stress the importance of the oil level.
Hello Micheal
The engines are normally shipped with the Ford version of the oil sump and oil pickup and the oil in it to run for the break-in period. When you put the engine in the truck you checked the oil and saw what on the stick? Can you state what were the instructions on lube oil levels with a different oil sump on the engine?
As for the factory manual the online version states the oil is to be checked every day.

http://www.nav-international.com.br/Manual.asp?Idioma=2
There are 3 other things to be checked daily.
The parts manual is there also.

With the adapters for the 2.8 to the GM line of transmissions it opens up a huge collection of vehicles to this diesel engine.

Let us know if you want a quote on parts to rebuild it.

Stephen Cahill
www.obwcanada.com
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
David: It sound like the VDO gauges can be hooked right to existing senders. Is this what you meant?

Thanks.
No new sender. 1/8" pipe. Cost is very reasonable on these items at egauges.com

I am interested in your engine. And I could come collect the whole mess and sort it out for you if you like. Shipping to me is less costly. Loves duty and broker fees were 199.00, no extra charges with door to door shipping from M&D.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW_Canada
This is from engineering in South America.
Cooling system
Max. Continuous water temp.230F.
Max. Intermittent water temp.248F.
I do not accept this. I have been aware of those specifications for a couple years. It reminds me of when they used to make the engine without glow plugs. Another engineering debacle. Your armchair analysis is unrealistic about the cooling system needed for the more demanding of these engine installations.

When I am happy with my resolution you are welcome to critique it. It is nice to hear your reports from the engineering people associated with the eingine. But realworld experience overshadows everything from the drafting room, in my opinion. I would like to hear some warantee repair tickets quoted on this engine installed in the Ford Ranger in S. America. That would mean more to me then engineering specfications.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Regarding Oil Level:

Where does it say: "CAUTION or WARNING" : Do not overfill or engine oil may enter combustion chamber and may cause engine to run out of control causing severe engine damage?

Every internal combustion Engine Manual ever printed on ths planet probably says to check oil level every day.
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:57 PM
OBW_Canada
Stephen Cahill
D-90 Source Vendor

Jim you having a bad day??
Do not $hit on me.
My reply is in bold.

Real world as you know the engine will take some heat for a while.Not that I would ever run one at that temp or suggest it be done. THAT IS WHY I DO NOT SUGGEST BOOSTING THE FUEL LEVELS.

I do not accept this. I have been aware of those specifications for a couple years. It reminds me of when they used to make the engine without glow plugs. Another engineering debacle. Now are you stating it is my fault they came with no glowplugs? They were OEM engines for BRAZIL and the rest of South America.Why put glow plugs in an engine where the coolest it gets in winter is 50 to 60 F.
Your armchair analysis is unrealistic about the cooling system needed for the more demanding of these engine installations.
Jim as you know the heat output is greater than the 300TDI so why would anyone ever use a 300TDI rad when they are known for over heating at the best of times? I have never suggested that a 300TDI or the HD version of it was the best to use.

When I am happy with my resolution you are welcome to critique it. It is nice to hear your reports from the engineering people associated with the eingine. But realworld experience overshadows everything from the drafting room, in my opinion. I would like to hear some warantee repair tickets quoted on this engine installed in the Ford Ranger in S. America. That would mean more to me then engineering.
specfications.

JP[/QUOTE]Jim you have questions for Ford of Brazil
https://www.ford.com.br/Default.asp
I have no contacts there sorry.

Now if you want to list questions for MWM-International warranty I can have them forwarded.

PS I left two voice messages on your phone about the mail I sent you last week.

Stephen
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:14 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

"...why would anyone ever use a 300TDI rad when they are known for over heating at the best of times?"

Do you mean they easily overheat in a 300Tdi application? I don't think so. In my experience the only time it approached slightly higher than normal temps was on a 98-degree summer day with the AC on and heading up hills. Even then it was well below maximum. I am sure if I had a REAL radiator in there it would be no problem. The OEM is a little shit thing.

It always amazes me how difficult it SEEMS to get a proper cooling system in Rovers. How difficult can it be to install the biggest aluminum radiator that'll fit? If a '65 Corvette with a 396 V8 can EASILY cope then why wouldn't a 2.8 or whichever Rover V8?

I don't think it's a matter of physical space. So, what's the problem? Ditch the OEM crap and get a Summit aluminum job. Done! Why the need to make an OEM job work?
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:22 PM
OBW_Canada
Stephen Cahill
D-90 Source Vendor

RE oil level AKA TOO MUCH OIL

Quote:
Regarding Oil Level:

Where does it say: "CAUTION or WARNING" : Do not overfill or engine oil may enter combustion chamber and may cause engine to run out of control causing severe engine damage?

Every internal combustion Engine Manual ever printed on ths planet probably says to check oil level every day.
Michael
I am very sorry about your engine problems. Now why vent at me? It was not my instructions you were using to install or have the engine installed. You pour 5 or 6 EXTRA quarts /liters of oil into any engine you gonna have problems. You made a mistake it seems.

Stephen
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:36 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I hope that wasn't a venting at you, Stephen. I find it amazing that no oil appeared on the dipstick before Michael added any. It is unfortunate that he was unaware of the existing oil level.I agree, there should be some sort of notice that there is oil in it - to cover the ignorants.

As for the runaway, a little reserach in diesels before taking the plunge would have made anyone aware of their "delicacies": be it filter changes, fuel quality, EGT's, proper startup/shutdown, etc..

That was one costly mistake - an installer's mistake.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions