International 2.8 or 300TDI for rebuild - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
....but I change the oil and filters in my diesel trucks a lot more often than a gas engine.
Why? There should not be a need. I base this information on oil analysis, not random facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerover View Post
Has anyone seen or heard of other engine rebuilds?
It seems that many people are putting the 4BT in their rig outside of the Land Rover world, although it has come up here a few times. Is this a good option? It seems that parts must be pretty easy to get in the states at least, but not sure about around the world. There is even an entire forum about 4BT conversions at 4btswaps.com.

Is this a good alternative to the 200 or 300tdi swap, purism aside?
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:57 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Why? There should not be a need. I base this information on oil analysis, not random facts.
That is a random fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Hi,
I have a Defender 110 with a 2.8 and have owned and driven several other Defender 110's with 300Tdi engines before (I live in Argentina) and if it where up to me I would go for the 2.8, NO DOUBT.
Why? much more TORQUE is the answer.
TGV (or VNT) Turbo is the second answer, it makes a BIG difference (no turbo lag, at all).

Regarding fuel consumption, I spend more fuel with the 2.8 but it is clearly because I drive faster, accelerate more, climb steeper hills, etc.

The thing is that in Argentina it is as easy to find 300tdi parts as to find 2.8 engine parts, EXACTLY the same. Both are widespread and cheap. You can buy them in almost any engine parts supplier, even in the smallest shop in the smallest city or town (when I say 300Tdi parts I do not mean genuine LR 300Tdi parts but spare parts for the International 2.5 engine which is ALMOST the same as the 300Tdi engine, but not identical, I will comment more on this below).

So in response to comments above I can assure that the Ford Ranger pickup truck equiped with the 2.8 engine was sold for many years in Argentina (somebody mentioned that maybe it was only sold in Brasil). Our streets down tere are still full with 2.8 Rangers. Engine spare parts are easy to find and not expensive down there. I think some spare parts are currently made in Brazil and some in Argentina, as far as I know.

So in case you need parts from the 2.8 engine and manage to speak some Spanish but not Portuguese, you can still try and source the parts in Argentina. Unfortunately I think most parts dealers down there (I am in the States right now) are not used to selling through the Internet and shipping overseas.

If anybody needs any help after I get back to Argentina (in 2 weeks) maybe I can help finding out availability of parts or prices, down there.

Cheers,
Santiago

PS: as I mentioned above, there are plenty of 300Tdi engine parts down there that are not actually Land Rover 300Tdi engine parts but replacements for the SIMILAR engine produced by International in Argentina and Brazil. It is known there as the Maxxion engine. This engine equiped the 2.5 Ford Ranger before the 2.8 Ford Ranger appeared. The spare parts for the 2.5 International engine are of less quality than the UK parts built for the 300 Tdi engine but are usually much cheaper. Just bear this in mind in case someone wishes to buy spare parts for the 300Tdi engine while in Argentina.
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Santiago,
Great info. I for one am interested in locating a supplier that can support 2.8 owners in N. America. 300TDI parts are easy to source up here, but the 2.8 specific ones are non-existent.

If you could find a good source in Argentina or S. America for the turbo, upper gaskets, block internals (pistons, etc), fuel pump and timing chain, that would be fantastic. I'm interested to see how prices down there compare to European suppliers.
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Santiago,
Great info. I for one am interested in locating a supplier that can support 2.8 owners in N. America. 300TDI parts are easy to source up here, but the 2.8 specific ones are non-existent.

If you could find a good source in Argentina or S. America for the turbo, upper gaskets, block internals (pistons, etc), fuel pump and timing chain, that would be fantastic. I'm interested to see how prices down there compare to European suppliers.

Hi Overlander,
OK, no problem, give me a few weeks (I am returning to Argentina in March).
I will find out the prices after I get back and then let you know.
In the mean time I will ask the guys in the Argentina LR Forum to see which they think would be a dealer which may be able to sell the parts and send them over to the US.

Are you only interested in Genuine International parts or may alternative suppliers be OK for you as well?

If you do not here about me by mid to late March please send me an e-mail (gigolas2001@yahoo.com) to remind me since I will be quite bussy upon my return and I may forget.

Finding the parts and the prices should be easy. Finding a delaer that can sell using credit cards over the Internet or over the phone will be much more difficult but I guess not imposible.

Cheers,
Santiago
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Sell your NAS truck and buy or build a the diesel truck you want. The wiring harness will be proper and you will have much less headaches down the road. You can now find ROW Diesels at a reasonable price.
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Santiago
Original not necessary!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

OK. That gives you many more price options.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Overlander:

I am back in Argentina and have done some investigations for you. There is GOOD news:

There is a big shop in Buenos Aires named RAPA which sells Ford, Cummins and MWM-International parts. They are official disitributors of MWM-International parts. They will have almost any part of the 2.8 engine in stock, no problem.

There web page is: http://www.rapa.com.ar/

I phoned and asked them for the price of genuine International spare parts so that you can have a rough idea of prices:

a) Complete TGV turbo (brand new): 5,770 Arg$ plus tax (21%). Roughly 4 Arg$ =1 U$ so +/- 1,442U$ plus tax is the price.

b) Fuel pump= 150 Arg$ + tax (21%) , you can do the math.

c) Timing "chain" (belt) kit: 390 Arg$ + tax (pulleys, etc)

d) Timing belt (proper): 281 Arg$ + tax

These prices are for GENUINE MWM-International parts (they come in nice black and orange boxes labelled MWM -Inetrnational), mainly made in Brazil, although maybe some in Argentina as well.

I asked the guy IF THEY WOULD SELL TO GUYS IN THE US AND THEN SHIP THE STUFF and he said they have done it before for clients abroad (mainly shops abroad I believe) so THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM. They usually ship by DHL.

He told me that since the guys on the phone do not speak English (or very little) the best thing to do is to contact the sales people directly, writting to the following address: diesel@rapa.com.ar. Apparently the sales guys who reply the e-mails are better with English.

He told me that they do not use credit cards for purchases from overseas. However they usually receive international transfers to their bank account in Argentina from their overseas clients and it works fine.

They should be able to give you all the bank account details and wiring the money should be no problem.

I have not bought from RAPA before (mainly because I live in Mendoza, 1,000kms away from Bs As) but they sound like a very serios, long lived business which I would trust.

Their phone number is 54-11-4924-8770

It is the first time I phone RAPA and it seems to me they have competitive prices.

If you need more help, maybe with the languaje, I will be pleased to help.

I will find out about another parts provider and let you know in due time.

Now comes my question: how do the prices compare with your European providers? Are they cheaper, +/- the same or (I hope not) more expensive?

Saludos,
Santiago

PS: I do not know if you have to pay Argentine tax or not if the parts are to be shipped to the US. I can ask them or maybe you can ask the RAPA sales people directly by mail.
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
fantastic info santiago. thank you! l have to do some checking on price comparisons. ill let you know.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:16 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
What tools are different from 300 tdi so I know?
I'm not sure as I have been installing and servicing them both for years and don't have any tools that are 2.8 specific...........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, rebuild, tdi