Internal roll cage ideas? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 15th, 2008, 08:01 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Internal roll cage ideas?

I have a 130 crewcab and would like to make a internal cage or at the very least a bar in the cab. Room inside the cab seems very limited. Any ideas? I will probably take it to a roll cage place near my house and see what they say too. Just trying to stay away from an external cage and trying to keep the weight to a minimum.

Thanks,

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
I have a 130 crewcab and would like to make a internal cage or at the very least a bar in the cab. Room inside the cab seems very limited. Any ideas? I will probably take it to a roll cage place near my house and see what they say too. Just trying to stay away from an external cage and trying to keep the weight to a minimum.

Thanks,

Kevin
Thats a tough one. In order for the cage to really do any good at all, you are going to have to build it out of 1.5x.120 dom or chrom minimum. Thats not light, and since your truck is heavy, the cage has to be too. As far as room, since you can take the top off, you should be able to tuck it within .25 of the roof. If you want, the guy who built my most recent cage with me is looking for work, if you are on a budget, he is the best around.

Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:14 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
The T posts are plenty strong. If you do an A hoop similar to ECR4 and a C hoop then tie the together it could be stout enough, and not very intrusive.

-Jeff
That is pretty interesting. Something to think about.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Thats a tough one. In order for the cage to really do any good at all, you are going to have to build it out of 1.5x.120 dom or chrom minimum. Thats not light, and since your truck is heavy, the cage has to be too. As far as room, since you can take the top off, you should be able to tuck it within .25 of the roof. If you want, the guy who built my most recent cage with me is looking for work, if you are on a budget, he is the best around.

Good luck.
Where is he located? I may be interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
That is pretty interesting. Something to think about.

Follow-up Post:

Where is he located? I may be interested.
Temecula. I know it is a journey for you but he's got the skills. I can send you pics of the new cage if you like.

I know this is going to go bad, and I have tremendous respect for ECR and quality of the work they do, but that cage would fold on even a minor side impact. Better than nothing though, and maybe with the roof it would still get the job done.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I know this is going to go bad, and I have tremendous respect for ECR and quality of the work they do, but that cage would fold on even a minor side impact. Better than nothing though, and maybe with the roof it would still get the job done.
No argument here.
The cage in ECR4 was built as an "oh sh*t" cage. Not something that would take a massive blow or stand up time and time again.
Before we added the front bar I ran just the rear bar with no supports. We called it the "mouse trap", but you gotta do what you gotta do to get to events.
When we did the front bar we plated the bulkhead in order to make the front connection points the best we could and the rears were done in basically the stock 95 style mounts. It wasn't designed or built as a "roll cage". It certainly was no rock crawler cage, and never intended to be one. It was done in order to have soft top and hard top abilities and if doing that serious compromises have/had to be made, especially if you don't want to cut up the truck.
After living with that truck for a few years I now realize that I would never do an internal cage again and for the 90 I am building for myself now it has a full external cage waiting to go on.

But even that safety devices cage is not what I would consider a true "rock crawler" cage. It is just something better than the thin metal of the factory roof and sides.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage