Internal bike rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 6th, 2007, 12:11 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Internal bike rack

I have this idea to put a custom internal rack inside my truck and I need some advice.

I need to put a 1 inch bar (standard Yakima or Thule size for bike fork mounts) across the inside roll cage bar that goes across the front of the tub. Is there any thing out there that has a 1 inch bar with two adjustable pivoting clamps that would clamp onto the cage? I need the clamps to be removable so the whole rack can come out. How thick is the cage bar? 1.5 or 2 inch?

It seems like a simple thing to do. Maybe just get two clamps and weld a bar to the clamps? See diagram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rollcage.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	8149  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I dont know if you ride BMX ( ) but the forks on my cross and road bikes stick all the way through to the cubby when stuck in the back of the 90. I thought about a bar there, but you'd have to remove the rear wheels as well.
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:06 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I dont know if you ride BMX ( ) but the forks on my cross and road bikes stick all the way through to the cubby when stuck in the back of the 90. I thought about a bar there, but you'd have to remove the rear wheels as well.
wow are you for real!? i never really thought room would be an issue with the back tire. so when you took off your front tire to your road bike and put the fork up by the cubby box, the rear tire stuck out too far to close the tail gate? damn, this might foil my whole plan!!!

i need to do some measurements!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

i could barely squeeze my mtb in diagonally with the front wheel off.
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:49 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

I don't think you have room. I use a 2-bike hitch mount rack.

This is the one I have and works well with all bikes, even ones that have weird frames such as my downhill bike.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411
Old February 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimngo
I don't think you have room. I use a 2-bike hitch mount rack.

This is the one I have and works well with all bikes, even ones that have weird frames such as my downhill bike.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411
that looks like a nice rack. you say it fits your downhill bike? how heavy is your downhill? i have a 2 Brooklyn Machine Works at about 50-60 pounds each. should hold right?
Old February 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

2 BMWs!?!? Wow, Nice set of rides.
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I use a set of these http://www.rockymounts.com/clutch.html
I mount them to one of these http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0HP&lpage=none

It works great and is more than just a bike rack.
Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:14 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl
I use a set of these http://www.rockymounts.com/clutch.html
I mount them to one of these http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0HP&lpage=none

It works great and is more than just a bike rack.
Eric
I have been meaning to build up something similar, but for DH bikes (like the Brooklyn bikes he is talking about, or my Sinister) you would want to get 2 full tray mounts that allow you to leave the front wheels on, since some of the big Thru axles are a pain to deal with on our forks.
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinchi
I have been meaning to build up something similar, but for DH bikes (like the Brooklyn bikes he is talking about, or my Sinister) you would want to get 2 full tray mounts that allow you to leave the front wheels on, since some of the big Thru axles are a pain to deal with on our forks.
yeah we would need some of these: http://www.hurricanecomponents.com/forkupmain.html for the 20mm fork. i'm really pissed i can't fit the bikes in the back. i really don't want to carry a tray on the back because i won't have anyplace to store it when im not using it.

i think best bet is to get a SD rack and slap some of those Hurrican mounts on there and then put them on the top. though it will be a work out just getting them up there!

devinchi - nice Sinister! ive always liked those!

actually know i got thinking, what if i used those RockyMounts and put the bikes sideways in the bed? like bolt those RockyMounts to the top of the wheel well or to the top sill in the rear? rear tire might fit then
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
that looks like a nice rack. you say it fits your downhill bike? how heavy is your downhill? i have a 2 Brooklyn Machine Works at about 50-60 pounds each. should hold right?
I have an Ironhorse 7Point3 that weighs a good 45 pounds. No problem at all. But I don't have 2 of them. I couldn't tell you if 120 pounds would be too much. Try calling Performance Bike Shop, they might be able to tell you.
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I have two yakima steelhead roof racks for my road bike and mtn bike on top of my 90. They work well since the bikes are under 37 lbs and easy to lift. But I had to go with a yakima spare tire mount for my SC VPFree which weighs around 42 lbs and more importantly the Fox 40 fork doesn't fit the typical fork mount. Which is what I am getting at, the rocky mounts may not fit your forks and therefore you will need a downhill specific rack like performancebike one Jim showed you or like one of these:
http://www.yakima.com/ProductCategory.aspx?id=7
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Quote:
devinchi - nice Sinister! ive always liked those!
Ya, They are made about 10 miles down the road from me.

Quote:
actually know i got thinking, what if i used those RockyMounts and put the bikes sideways in the bed? like bolt those RockyMounts to the top of the wheel well or to the top sill in the rear? rear tire might fit then
You could also go all out and run a dual mount setup and take both wheels off. Then it would definately fit!
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I hear that Sinister has a new DH/FR design out this year. Its supposed to be for real. A buddy of mine just bought the Chile Pepper Bike Shop in Moab and I believe will be carrying Sinister. Can't wait to try it out.
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:17 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
I hear that Sinister has a new DH/FR design out this year. Its supposed to be for real. A buddy of mine just bought the Chile Pepper Bike Shop in Moab and I believe will be carrying Sinister. Can't wait to try it out.
Sorry to hi-jack. Ya, Frank had what I believe to be the best new suspension design in a number of years. The bikes are the Passion and Poison. Do a search for them, it is dafinately a new step in design.

Again, sorry to hi-jack the thread.
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:59 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Quote:
i really don't want to carry a tray on the back because i won't have anyplace to store it when im not using it.
The one I have from Performance folds up fairly compactly. But yeah, you would need some place to store it when not in use.

Quote:
i think best bet is to get a SD rack and slap some of those Hurrican mounts on there and then put them on the top. though it will be a work out just getting them up there!
My other car is an Audi wagon with Yakima steelhead fork mounts. I have thru-axles on my Ironhorse, but even if I didn't I would not like having to lift that 45 lb. bugger on even something as short as an Audi roof. It goes in the back
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
hang em off the back. I have a swing away yakima its nice and i like it a lot. Not good if you dont have a rear bumper.
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM
jdempsey
Jason Dempsey
94/ D90/ Red

I have a dual problem. Bikes and surf boards. I have been using modified yakima X towers made for the xtera. I am only pushing a santa cruz blur and it works for the bike with a cut throat . as for the boards I am switching my top to a full soft top from the bini. Now I am struggling with how to carry the boards because I used to carry my beloved 9' 2" longboard and tie the nose down on the rear roll bar and the front would tie down on the yakima bar.
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Marc Weinstein
Marc Weinstein
defender 90 '94

If you don't want to a hitch mount, get a set of Saris bones and put them on the bull bar and bumper in front of the d90 - You can put 3 bikes on - doesn't obstruct vision and access to the engine. Folds out of the way(flush with bull bar) when not in use. If interested I'll post pics.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:29 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Weinstein
If you don't want to a hitch mount, get a set of Saris bones and put them on the bull bar and bumper in front of the d90 - You can put 3 bikes on - doesn't obstruct vision and access to the engine. Folds out of the way(flush with bull bar) when not in use. If interested I'll post pics.
I'd like to see that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack