Intermittent Starting Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 19th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Eric Thompson
'93 110
Intermittent Starting Problem

I've searched the threads and found many that have solved similar issues. I've put most of the recommendations in place, each time seeming to solve it for a couple months, then same symptom comes back.

When starting it will crank the engine but not fire. No spark. When it does happen, I can always start it with a roll and a compression start. Once going it runs great. Most of the time, after a compression start it will work fine on key start for a while, then one day no start again.

I've replaced the cap and rotor, plug wires, did the ignition module relo kit, replaced coil, replaced ignition switch and key.

Since it starts with key in the #2 spot on compression, but intermittently no spark in #3, it must be a short somewhere in the system? Short of replacing the wiring, what else should I focus in on that I haven't already done?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

start, starting