intermittent starting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Edward
Edward Moorlach
1997 Defender 90

intermittent starting

My 1997 D90 is having intermittent starting issues. On Monday turned off the engine (to get the remote out of the glove box) and it would not start. Put about five gallons in, started right up. Drove about 150 yards turned it off (to get the remote out of the glove box, again) cranks over fine, but it would not start, again. Tried to start it a number of times during the evening and it refused to start. The next morning started up (and sounded as if it needed about 6 quarts of oil, the noise went away after say, 30 seconds or so). Yesterday started, got coffee, started, got gas (filled it up, about 6 gallons), started up drove about a mile parked. About an hour later, would not start. Tried a handful of times through out the day, nothing (I could not hear the fuel pump). This morning switch on (heard the pump) and fired up on the second try (again the 6 quart down noise). Stopped by the mechanic to check for codes none.

So has anyone else had this problem? All the fuses look fine, has a full tank of fuel. Is there some sort of timer that delays restart for some reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
No timer. Seems like you have a fuel pump or wiring problem (I'd think wiring since it works once in a while).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Could it be one of the sensors?
Mine would start, then stall after a little bit. Mechs tried alot of things until they found the culprit.
I had to replace a mass air flow sensor a month a go and all is fine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Edward
Edward Moorlach
1997 Defender 90

Started up this morning. Will start checking/replacing sensors and hopefully drain the full tank and drop it to check the electrical connections this week.
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Edward
Edward Moorlach
1997 Defender 90

fuel Pump

Just getting back to the forum. Removed the tank, made a tool to remove the ring that held the pump. It starts like new again.
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Great job. Welcome back!

This will go down as one the events that makes you love and appreciate your Defender. One of the MANY events!
Old September 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Nadir_E
Nadir Elfarra
94 NAS D-90 ST

Recently had a similar problem on my '94. They couldn't find anything wrong with the fuel pump, but they did notice the vacuum advance had come loose and was also faulty - problem is gone for now.

good luck!
-Nadir
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I have something similar going on. Basically, it seems that if I drive short distances and wait like 30 minutes or more it will not start. Sometimes I can get it to fire with the run the fuel pump, wait 30 seconds, and try again. I replaced my fuel pump and it did not fix the problem. it seems also kind of related to the ambient temperature but I think that is just my imagination.

One thing I did find was that if I popped the hood, unplugged a random sensor (well semi-random), it would start right up except that check engine light would be on. At first I thought it might be just raising the hood would get it to go, but that didn't seem to prove out. There seems to be spark and gas, so maybe it has to do with air flow.

I never had the 'needs oil' sound though.

its still bugs me so now maybe I will get back to figuring it out now. thanks...

bill
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic
One thing I did find was that if I popped the hood, unplugged a random sensor (well semi-random), it would start right up except that check engine light would be on.
Then you have a sensor issue! The ECU will go in "limp" mode if it detects a fault in the sensors it uses. By unplugging one, you force it to go into limp mode. Now.... That means that the sensor that failed/is failing is not seen by the ECU as a failed sensor.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starting