Intermittent Stalling. - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2014, 07:41 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Your symptoms are identical to my recent issues with a dying fuel pump. Lots of wild stuff being thrown around in this thread. But it sounds exactly like low fuel pressure. Just enough for it to cough, but engine RPM's don't reach the threshold where the ECU turns the fuel pump on continuously.

Can you hear the relay click and the fuel pump run when you turn the ignition on?
Have you put a gauge on the fuel line to see if you have adequate pressure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2014, 08:38 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Replaced te stepper motor with a new one ($45). Symptoms persist.
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:35 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
Russell - mechanic friend doesn't think it's the stepper motor. Last time it was the fuel pump. That said, you've convinced me to swing by o'reillys and pick one up. ------ Follow up post added January 20th, 2014 04:18 PM ------ Jason - I've visually inspected the intake hoses but haven't done anything more than that. What do you suggest?
Get a smoke kit from autozone ... I'm sure they sell them. That should help you look for leaks.

Fuel starvation could be a clogged filter but you said the fuel pump worked fine?

There is a coolant temp sensor that can cause poor running if it's faulty.

Can you get access to someone with a rover gauge that would help diagnose a few sensors.

If you haven't changed the stepper yet that would be my beat guess followed by leaky air hoses.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2014, 07:00 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Good news about to be reported.
Sam, thanks for the PM and glad you are back on the road.
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:17 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
I was able to get everything working thanks to some advice from Russell. I replaced the stepper motor (idle control valve) but had all but given up on that being the problem because the vehicle didn't start afterwards.

Then Russell PMd me with this advice:

Quote:
With the new stepper, the ECU needs to calibrate it and the ECU itself. You can reset the ECU by simply unplugging the battery for a few minutes. Then give it another crank. The first with out any peddle. Try a few times. Then a longer crank with a full peddle.

Hope this works, but who knows. There are a few systems at play. The next thing to check is purchase a vacuum gauge ($25) to test the vacuum lines for leaks. YouTube has good tutorials on how to check.
I went back, uplugged the ECU, waited a minute, plugged it back in and then followed Russell's advice exactly. On the longer crank, after cranking for about 20-30 seconds (which felt like a LONG time) she finally started! She had a rough idle but after a quick trip around the block to calibrate the ECU things seem to be running very smoothly now.

Thanks Russell! And of course everyone else (Jason, Chris) for your help as well. She's my daily driver so I'm glad to be able to get her back on the road.
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:33 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
LOL - yet again my iPhone autocorrects my bad typing. Guess it thinks I am a gypsy trying to move crap from house to house. That, or it is time for reading glasses.
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:39 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Glad you got it figured out. It sounds like odd behavior as there isn't really anything for the ECU to calibrate relating to the bypass valve AFIK. The ECU doesn't have any idea where the bypass valve actually is. It just opens/closes in steps in response to engine RPM feedback. When the ignition is first turned on it "resets" to fully open, then slowly closes after the engine starts to regulate idle RPM.

Who knows. I'm just speculating as I know how the ECU performs the start up procedure. Perhaps you ended up in a strange mode and a reset of the ECU fixed it. The world may never know...
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:12 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Perhaps recalibration of the ECU resolves bogus idle calibration caused by the steeper motor.?

Dunno but when I replaced my stepper, I did same by disconnecting/re-connecting the battery. Took about 5 minutes driving around for the D90 to settle until perfect idle at start up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions