Intermittent Stalling. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 14th, 2011, 08:26 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Alright. I pulled off the part next to the air filter and checked. No hole no hose. I then pulled the large air hose attached to the drivers side top of the engine. I flushed it big time.

Switched out the stepper also and installed a new one.

Went to fire it back up and it struggled to start I am thjinking it is because I had so much seafoam crap in it. Anyway, I got it to start and after it tried to run a little rough it fired and stayed running. I did not drive it yet which is next, which will hopefully clean it out a bit and get me humming like a cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2011, 09:46 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Okay. Anyone taking my advise be careful (on the location of the trottle body). I changed out my stepper last night and it went extremely well. I don't see any purpose of cleaning it, if the part is $32 bucks. Seems to me like buying and installing one a year is worth it whether it needs it or not if you ask me. Anyway I took the seafoam stuff to my throttle body which was on the bumper side of the large air hose(on top of the engine), not the firewall side. I had that wrong in my picture. Anyway I hit the engine with seafoam and blew out everything in there and it came out pretty clean. I went to restart my truck and the seafoam stuff was all over the engine block so it started a little rough, but blew out a bit after a brief drive. Came to work today and it is running like a champ. Time will tell but no stalling and no reving the engine to prevent it either.
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I forgot to tell you that the seafoam will make the truck run like crap at first and that you should have been in a well ventilated area. You probably should look to install new plugs soon and some good wires to ensure you continue to have a clean burn. I had the worst idle for the longest time and it took a couple steppers and carbon cleanup to solve it.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I am thinking new plugs and wires anyway so I appreciate your input. I actually think my truck is driving better after swapping the stepper.
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Id change the oil also drive it like you stole it
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Your kidding right. Just changed the oil about two years ago.
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Its back and stranger than ever. I replaced my stepper and cleaned out the air system a few weeks ago and my truck had been driving great, that is until this past weekend. This is what it is doing.

It will idle then die.
Now it will not want to restart, almost immediately draining the battery.
Let it sit a bit and then it will fire.
I noticed while driving that it will get a tad bit rough in how it runs, but this not consistent, nor is it predictable.

Note I had replaced the fuel pump recently, but did not replace the fuel system relay. I am going to re-clean the stepper and air systems also.

Any pointers would be great.

RickM
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:02 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Sounds like it is a bad relay. By "bad" I mean "fails when hot". Letting it sit will cool it off, obviously. In the bad old days, resistance in the relay would cause it to overheat internally.

Did you turn on the heater recently?
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:07 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I am thinking you might be right about the relay in general but maybe not entirely. I mean this with all due respect. So here is where my head is at on this. I drove it Saturday and it was warm and at idle when it failed. When it stalled it cooled for maybe just a few seconds and all was ok. Maybe it was on its last leg at that point. When driving it Monday when it failed I had just started it and driven about .5 miles, and it was really cold out. When I went to start it yesterday it was really cold, started and ran for about 30 seconds and died. Today it would not start at all for a long long time, then it fired but died almost instantly and I gave up. I did not replace the relay when I replaced the fuel pump but I did buy one. Where is the relay (which is why I did not replace it). I figure that is an easy fix so I will give it a go and then see from there.
Old December 25th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Keebler
Kenneth Elliott
1994 D90 AA yellow (NAS)

Registry
The speedo update is interesting...
is that applicable to a 94?
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:24 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I am not sure what you are referring to on the speedo, but my issues turned out to be electrical. I flipped the coil, did some magic on the coil to d-cap wire and have not had an issue since. I might try and up my idle a bit as I also changed my spark plub wires and plugs, but all is great now.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:23 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Is your oil light popping on?
I'm pulling up an old thread here but Josh - can you explain what you mean when you ask if the oil light is popping on?

My vehicle almost stalled last night at a stop sign. I revved the engine and it was fine. A few minutes later it stalled when I was rolling into a parking spot. Both times the oil light would flicker...
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
It's flickering because the engine rpm is so low it causes the low oil pressure. The oil pump is driven by the cam shaft, which is driven by the crank shaft.
Whenever the engine is near stalling the oil light will flicker.
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Keebler
Kenneth Elliott
1994 D90 AA yellow (NAS)

Registry
If you want to diag your stalling issue you should slow the vehicle while in gear (4th or direct drive works pretty well) to 750-900 RPMs for a few seconds. If at that point you press the clutch pedal and the idle works correctly you should look at your VVS or speed transducer. What is happening in this scenario is that the ecm is telling the stepper motor to kick in due to the low RPM. This SHOULD happen when the vehicles MPH is slowing no matter what the RPM is.
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:18 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
If you want to diag your stalling issue you should slow the vehicle while in gear (4th or direct drive works pretty well) to 750-900 RPMs for a few seconds. If at that point you press the clutch pedal and the idle works correctly you should look at your VVS or speed transducer. What is happening in this scenario is that the ecm is telling the stepper motor to kick in due to the low RPM. This SHOULD happen when the vehicles MPH is slowing no matter what the RPM is.
Most likely is Idle control valve on the plenum is sticky and needs a good clean. This is a really common fault on these trucks.

It would be unlikely that you'd have an intermittent fault on the VSS or speed transducer due to the very simple nature of their construction.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Keebler
Kenneth Elliott
1994 D90 AA yellow (NAS)

Registry
That is a very good point. I should have mentioned I had already replaced my Stepper Motor. You may also want to check your Injectors if the stream isn’t misting properly it can also cause issues.
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:30 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Hm, well after stalling once (back when I posted on the 15th) the issue went away so I figured I'd just clean the idle control valve when I have some free time and not worry about it.

However today the truck started, ran for about 60 seconds, and then stalled when I was backing up. Now it won't start at all. I had to get to a meeting so I winched myself into a parking spot and left it there (!!!).

Any ideas what's going on? I'll be trying to diagnose the issue tonight.

I just cleaned my K&N filter last week. I thought I was conservative with the oil (as I know that can mess stuff up) but perhaps the oil got on something and is causing the issue?
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Not reading the whole thing. Did you fix the speed transducer? Without one you will get weird intermittent stalling. There are two idle modes. One for moving and one stopped. When the ecu lose the vss it randomly decides which mode. If it is in the moving mode when you stop it will struggle and sometimes stall.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Check the ignition module and all ignition connections.
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:40 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
throw the k&n filter in the trash

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions