Intermittant power loss and now nothing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Northidaho
Stuart Fenwick
1994 D90 #1008

Intermittant power loss and now nothing

I've been having problems where once in a blue moon (3 or 4 times in 4,000 miles) I loose power - sometimes just a jolt where everything cuts out for 1/2 a second, then fine, other times where it just suddenly starts running rough and looses power but keeps running. If I stop and turn the key off, wait for the relay to click off, and then restart it everything's fine. Any ideas? I ordered two new relays for the fuel pump module and the fuel injection module just in case that's the problem, but I'll keep y'all updated. I figure I'll put a new fuel filter in it today as well.

On a side note I have 3 relays under my fuse box, a white one and 2 yellow ones. There's a space for a 4th one between the 2 yellow ones, anyone know what its for? I was prodding around in there with an electrical tester last night and found the terminals were hot, and now this morning it will turn over but not even try to start. Might be that I knocked something else loose in the process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I am willing to bet it is one of the silver relays. You can swap them and if you hear fuel pump noise with one, but not the other when you first turn the key, you know one is bad.

Ron
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Northidaho
Stuart Fenwick
1994 D90 #1008

Thanks Ron!

I replaced both the silver relays (the new ones were brown) and it didn't help. Ended up replacing the coil with no luck either. I took my multimeter to it and found that I wasn't getting power across the resistor like thing that hangs off the + side of the coil. I removed the resistor and connected the white and green wire directly to the coil and it started right up. Anyone know what that resistor is or if it will cause any problems running without it? Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).JPG
Views:	107
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	35420  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
tdn
Troy Norton
'94 D90

did you figure out the problem? I had similar symptoms on my 94 d90 and it turned out to be the ignition amplifier module. Originally they were mounted to the side of the distributor, then due to numerous failures from heat and vibration LR made a relocation kit which moved the module to the sidewall right next to the coil. not sure if you've had that truck a while but sounds like your amp module may have already been relocated. in any case they can still go bad and it produces the symptoms you're describing. i think you can get a replacement AB for around $75 (STC1184).

good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions