Intermitent Starting Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 27th, 2006, 11:30 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Intermitent Starting Problem

I did a search but didn't find a problem like I'm experiencing!

I have a 1997 Defender 90 with 113K miles. The ignition was replaced with a brand new one 6 months back. It does have an aftermarket alarm with an engine kill.

The problem is that somtimes, could be one month or one week between occurences, the D won't start. I will insert the key and turn, everything works (all dash lights kick on, radio, lights, fuel pump, dome lights, etc) but there will be NO sound from the starter. The engine will not even try to turn over. I typically experience this on warmer days after driving for at least 20 minutes and say, pulling over to get gas or going to fast food. If I jump back in a few minutes later, no start! Sometimes it takes 30 minutes, somtimes 2 hours and than it starts like nothing was ever wrong. The other day I had to get it flatbedded back to my house after fooling around for 90 minutes in the Chevron gas line. The tow truck driver dropped the D-90 at my house and for fun I jumped in, turned the key and it started right up! Talk about an embarrasing moment, luckily the tow truck driver had tried to start it also at the Chevron or I really would have felt like an idiot.

I've had Inland Rovers go over it multiple times, and of cours it will not do it when it's there! The D is not throwing any codes. I'm to the point were I'm thinking of tearing the alarm out, replacing the two realays under the seat, replacing the alternator and anything else that is in line. Of course this approach is not the wisest way to throw cash away, so I'm looking for any words of wisdom. Any help is appreciated!

If I blew my search please direct me to the link and I will humbly take any tongue lashings that may follow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Check to make sure the little box (i think its called the starter module) which should be next to the coil if its like a 95, is securely attached to the mounting bracket. Mine was loose and I had similar problems. Put some dielectric grease between the plate and the back of the box to prevent a short.

This is assuming the 97 is like a 95...
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

97's are a bit different Kris.

So no engine codes then right? Do you hear the fuel pump comming on? How old is the fuel filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

My bad...
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

No codes, I can hear the fuel pump and I think the fuel filter was switched about a year ago.
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Iffy starter relay?
Iffy ignition switch??
Iffy park/ starter inhibt switch???

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:19 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm going to have the alarm's engine kill relay bypassed and than look into the starter relay.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starting