Interior Stainless Steel or Checker Plating - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 20th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

Lightbulb Interior Stainless Steel or Checker Plating

I'm thinking about lining the inside of my d90 with a metallic material. I've been looking at the posts for rhino lining and such, but has anyone had any experience using checker plating or staineless steel in the back bed, as door skins and in the foot wells(kinda like the Tomb Raider one)? I was wondering how costly it was, whether it helps against rust or promotes it(by holding in the mositure underneath) and whether is does anything for noise dampening. Thanks - Andrew Nobrega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I have aluminum interior door skins on the front doors and rear. Some on the dash where I flushed in a CB and some on the hard top and bulk head. I used 1/8 Diamond plate aluminum except for where I mounted the speakers. I had to use 1/4 there to stop shaking. Anyway, its easy, cheap, light, and looks good. It does nothing for noise dampening but, you can lay down thick insulation behind it and that helps a lot.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

Do u happen to have any pictures? If not, no worries.... - Andrew Nobrega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't but I will take some and post them as soon as I get back from vacation! I will be in the carribean untill the next monday and I will post them then. Sorry for the wait!

edit: There are a few pictures of it in "Finally, some pictures for all those who asked" in the Chit Chat section. Just where the speakers are mounted though, not the doors.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:06 AM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

Cool, sounds good....Have A Great Time Down There!
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:37 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I'd watch out for galvanic reaction (where different metals touch) and trapped water promoting rust.

I also never liked the idea of rhino-lining. What if rust develops? You won't see it until it's real bad and then touching up the lining can be tricky.

I'd much prefer rubber mats and a rear liner. Removable so you can clean underneath. You can even get the kind with "bubble" so there's airflow underneath when it's all down.

Of course, I'm coming from practicality. If all you care about is looking pretty then nothing can stop you!
Old June 21st, 2004, 01:09 AM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

I like the bubble idea, never heard of it.....do they make them for Defenders or due u have to cut it yourself?

If I have a piece of insulation between the aluminum and the diamond plating would there still be the reaction? I guess the screws would be connecting the whole thing eh?

In terms of the door skins and the metallic aspects, I need to replace some things, like the skins anyway, and I was thinking of trying something new. I'd like it to look nice but I'm also thinking about practicality, that's why I was asking about the possibilty of rust and the sound proofing.

As of now, the footwells need to be well cleaned and de-rusted, and the door skins need to be replaced....so I was thinking that I would look for some sort of theme or uniform look to the new additions which I would be interested in maintaining with future changes(when needed). So as u said, I need practicality, but I'm interested in a 'look' aswell.

Sorry if that was a little long winded.....Thanks for the input, it's helping me alot! ... Keep it comin'!!!

Thanks - Andrew Nobrega
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:11 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Andrew, I got some great 5 bar diamond plate stuff made for the rear bed of my truck fro www.rovertracks.com .... give them a call.
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:57 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Andrew,

I've been thinking of going the route of diamond plating as well...

There's a guy in upstate NY that has a couple of cool diamond plate interior pieces, his website is: www.motosource.com , a rear door piece and front interior sill pieces.

Oh, and if you're looking for an interior load mat for the back, I just ordered one from Nathan at discountbritishparts.com, it's taken a while but he beat everyone's prices by far. I don't know about the 'bubble' one, but this is the genuine D90 thick loadspace mat. Even if I do diamond plating I'm still going to want that mat anyway.

There is a loadspace diamond plate & footwell diamond plate LR setup, I got it off some UK/German/LR site I believe, (don't remember which one..) I attached a couple pics...

Let me know how you make out.

Nicholas Orros
Attached Images

Old June 21st, 2004, 07:58 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrega
I like the bubble idea, never heard of it.....do they make them for Defenders or due u have to cut it yourself?

If I have a piece of insulation between the aluminum and the diamond plating would there still be the reaction? I guess the screws would be connecting the whole thing eh?
The "bubble" is the rubber sheets that have alternating risers top and bottom. It's interchangeable top and bottom and allows airflow. You cut it yourself.

You must use some insulating barrier between metals. But what about the screws? Some say coat them with something (like copper grease for stainless door hinge scews, stainless kit, etc) but I don't know if that'll hold up. I guess it should as I see plenty of stainless screw kits used without problems.

You can also try a product called Corrosion X. It's a spray you apply to anywhere there's galvanic reaction or the possibility of it. It coats all surfaces with an insulater and is supposed to work real well. You can even use it under the body and it holds up to any salt/water spray.
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:20 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

I did it to my d90, lined the whole thing with dynomat, then jute insulation, then custom bent all the 5 bar plate. I used two 4 by 8 sheets of treadplate, that al from dap ordered for me from bearmach. I think I paid $120 a sheet. The biggest bitch was using the breaker and having the sheets come out right, measurement and realizing that metal expands when you bend it is the key. In all it took some time, but I think it looks awesome. People always freak out when they catch a glimpse of it. I'll have to borrow a digital camera to take some pics for you.
brian bertolini
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:14 AM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

This is great advice everyone, thanks! I'm gonna reasearch all the options u guys are suggesting. I've already decided to get the door sill protectors from motosource because my door sills need them pretty badly. I just wish they weren't so expensive. As I am already installing the stainless steel bolt kit this galvanising advice is very useful too. Thanks Again... And Keep it Comin'...the more advice the better! - Andrew Nobrega
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:31 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Andrew,

Check the look of the Motosource stuff. I don't think it is the English 4 bar but the American one. Clear as Mud eh? I don't think it looks like the pictures above. Tony sent me a picture of his sill protectors and they are the american style.... So if your a purist, this will get on your nerves.

EwS
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:57 AM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

Sorry, could u explain, I didn't know there was a difference..... - Andrew Nobrega
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:22 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Funny Eric, I was just typing the exact same reply you did.

I ended up buying a 5 bar rear SW door panel off roverbiz.com (D. Cantrell) from CA, on Ebay. Price was right and it looks much nicer than my ratty cardboard panel...

You want to also be aware of the differences in 5 bar. For instance, some has a shiny mirror finish, and some is brushed to alleviate that mirrored finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Door.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	867  
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:26 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Sure.

The Euro chec plate has a different look than does the american variety. The pictures above show the correct UK plate.

http://www.motosource.com/prod_panel.html

Is the American style. Notice how the UK is a square pattern, hence the Chequer designation. The American in the picture above is diamond shaped hence the diamond plate moniker here in the states.

You'll have to get the Chequer from Rover tracks or the UK.

I hope this is clearer.

Wicks! Where are you when I need you!

EwS
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:33 PM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

Ya, ok that makes perfect sense. I was looking at the pictures of the Tomb Raider Defender and saw the difference but didn't realise one was American and the other was British....I think I like the look of the Chequer plating better. Is the material used in the dash of the Tomb Raider truck Polished Aluminum? (Pics are in the MISC PICTURES section)
Old June 21st, 2004, 01:51 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Andrew,

The motosource stuff is really nice. But it isn't the CHequer plate. It is American Diamond Plate you see on Jeeps.

Look at the pictures above and the one from the link? See how the motosource has a different pattern? It doesn't really matter unless you obsess over OEM and originality. I really like tony's stuff and think it is worth the money. The only issue is that It would not match your wing top protectors.

EwS

http://www.motosource.com/prod_panel.html

Follow-up Post:

Should have it refresh. The UK stuff is available from the UK vendors. Try the usual suspects, but I would give the guys are rovertracks first dibs as they are in the USA and look like they do awesome work.

EwS
Old June 21st, 2004, 01:53 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Ha ha... I didn't know John Lee's truck had a Motosource sticker down the side...
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:27 PM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

Hi there,

Have a look at www.rebel4x4.co.uk. They do chequer plating for the back and it will show you what its like. You shoud be ok making it yourself though.

Best regards

James
Defender 50th GB 002

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
interior