Defender Source Forum banner

Interior lighting switch alternative

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  byrnecc 
#1 ·
I had a new wiring harness put in a while back and i have no switch going to the plugs (see picture).

I believe this is why I have no gauge lights.

The replacement part I see is PRC7371 but I have some on-off carling switches here. Does anyone have a diagram on how to use a carling switch to replace PRC7371?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The stock switch is three position. Interior light / Off / Dash lights. It is some strange British thing that make no sense.... :) I've not really looked at how the circuit works, but if you wanted to mimic it, you would need an On/Off/On switch with two separate switching circuits since the two functions are not related to each other.

#4 ·
I wired up a Carling Off/On/On for this function actually. Off kills all circuits, the first "On" position does the dash/binnacle lights....but *only* when the stalk is activated. The second "On" position turns on the Interior/overhead light...AND will leave the dash lights on (again, only *if* the stalk is on). If the stalk is off, technically the dash lights are not on in any position...but the Interior lights still come on if you go up to the 2nd "On" position.

Hope that is clear, but essentially it's a dual circuit Carling, instead of an independent circuit Carling (with the On/Off/On version).

I can talk you through how to do the wiring to a Carling if you decide to ditch the factory switch and go that route.

#5 ·
That certainly makes the best sense if going with a Carling switch. Sounds like a good idea to sell with an appropriate icon on the rocker and install instructions.

I've always wondered why nobody has ever designed a dimmer for the dash lights. I use one in my 90 and it is really needed with the VDO gauges.

#6 ·
Definitely would have preferred to do the carling option but already ordered the LR switch

At least it'll be genuine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And yea I'm surprised a dimmer switch alternative isn't sold or advertised anywhere. I thought for sure Mud-Stuff in the UK would've advertised one of their Carling switches as such. The forums have a healthy amount of posts saying how the switches fail and a Carling replacement would be cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.