Interior ideas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 27th, 2006, 10:47 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Interior ideas

Was cleaning out the truck today and wiping everything down (it rained so naturally the sunroof leaked and everything was soaking wet inside the car) when i noticed that the carpets, seats and interior was just getting pretty worn in on the whole. Does anyone have some good pictures or ideas/ websites that deals with the issue of "revamping" the interior?
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2006, 11:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
All I have in my truck is paint and floormats. I like it that way.
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

AB had Exmoor seat retrim kits on sale last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2006, 10:16 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

if it were paint and floormats i would be happy too. Instead, I have grose, dirty, rotting carpet, dirty seats, cracked plastic, door panels are warped and rattle, everything leaks etc. etc... typical defender stuff. The car was my father's so I don't want to just let it get dingy like i did my old range rover. Trying to keep it in nice shap ya know.. sentimental value and all..
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What I did was pull all the matting off the seat box. It took a lot of adhesive remover to get the glue off, but I think it was worth it.

I sandblasted and repainted the the seat frames then replaced the upholstery and foam with a G4 kit from Exmoor (who were awesome).

I bought the hard rubber footwell insulations from RN (about 40 bucks each) and reinstalled the center firewall and tunnel mats. then I just threw the stock floormats down on the bare floors.

I also had the truck apart at the time so I had the seatbox and floors line-x'ed on the bottom thinking maybe that would cut down on heat and noise. I dont know if it helped or not, but I like to think it did.

I'm getting new doors painted soon, and I'm going to have them lined on the inside too. Depending on how it looks, I might not use my door panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_G4 Seatsv2.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	6405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_DSCF0080v3.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	6406  

Name:	Resized_DSCF0077v3.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	6407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_DSCF0078v2.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	6408  

Old August 28th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I just tore out all the carpet, wire wheeled the whole interior and put down 2 thick coats of Hurculiner. Then I took the floor panels to bare metal and left them that way. As I was doing it, I replaced all the rusted hardware. Whole project was under $100 and it turned out really well. Almost 2 years and counting and the Hurculiner looks new.

Next project is to completely eliminate the dash
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8280461.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	6409  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:53 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Well, the dash is little more than an air plenum with a shelf on top that hides the wiring harness. A series shelf welded on would be cool.
Old August 29th, 2006, 12:39 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
David,
Nice touch with the plexi on the floor. Same as they do in monster trucks to see where (what) they are driving over. Does it come in handy?
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:40 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I had the entire interior of my truck rhino lined. I did away with all the mats, door panels, speaker panels, etc etc. I`m pretty happy with it, and I think it looks pretty good. Tiny bit quieter, hasn`t seemed to make much of a difference in terms of heat from the tranny tunnel though. I`ll try to take some pictures this week. It`s also cool too because I can just hose down the interior to clean it up
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:44 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Nate, I'd like to link up with you at some time and see your interior job. I've never seen a truck in person that was all lined out.
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:40 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

If you bed-line the inside of the entire inside of the rig make sure you do it in sections so that you can still remove the floors and such for service items. Otherwise a simple shifter repair might mean you have to remove the entire gearbox through the bottom. I've seen a number fd 90s that were completely lined inside and the owners f*cked themselves on future repairs by doing it that way.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

I got some great insulation 100' roll. The truck is signifigantly quieter with the insulation put on as a test. It is foam with foil on both sides. I would like to make some diamond plate covers for the seat boxes and floor boards and sandwich the insulation between the steel and the diamond plate covers. If i put nut-serts into the seat boxes I can easily remove the covers and change insulation if anything ever rots. I made a quick little switch cut-out for my arb, battery, and winch. My computer touchscreen gps/topo/mp3 player is mounted above with a removable magnetic mount that looks fairly clean.
I am going to move the hazard switch to the dash on the right side of the steering wheel (same way the cluster light/aux heater switches are on the left). I will post photos when I finish.
I would eventually like to get rid of all plastic and replace with black diamond plate or carbon fiber (since I will keep this truck forever).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Island Beach (2b).jpg
Views:	394
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	6411  
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38
David,
Nice touch with the plexi on the floor. Same as they do in monster trucks to see where (what) they are driving over. Does it come in handy?
Thanks! It is one of the better mods I did to the truck. The floor was rotted through there so I cut out the squares to weld in new metal and I noticed that I could see a lot through there. The Lexan works great. From the drivers seat I can see the entire drivers side tire, and most of the passenger tire. The passenger can see the drive shaft and diff perfectly so they can let me know if I am about to smack something without getting out of the truck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:14 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
I just tore out all the carpet, wire wheeled the whole interior and put down 2 thick coats of Hurculiner. Then I took the floor panels to bare metal and left them that way. As I was doing it, I replaced all the rusted hardware. Whole project was under $100 and it turned out really well. Almost 2 years and counting and the Hurculiner looks new.

David

I like the position you mounted your Fire Extinguisher in. What size and rating is it? It doesn't look like the typical 5-lbs bottle.

DJ
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
David

I like the position you mounted your Fire Extinguisher in. What size and rating is it? It doesn't look like the typical 5-lbs bottle.

DJ
Thanks DJ,

Its a Home Depot special. 3 LB I think. I carry one in the back also.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:19 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Nate, I'd like to link up with you at some time and see your interior job. I've never seen a truck in person that was all lined out.

I`ll let you know next time I am in town. I am pretty happy with it... The only thing I wasn`t too stoked on was the fact that I didn`t know that Rhino Lining drips, whereas Line X I guess does not, so there are a few parts of the truck where you can see the Rhino Lining was dripping while it dried
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:29 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Well here is what i'm thinking.. The carpet without a doubt needs to go. 11 years of wheeling on grey carpeting is simply not ok. I would like to rino line the tub, any good sources for getting this done around the NY area? (If the reason should ever arise, how easy is it to remove rinolining) Redo seats, found a great website for this. I've seen many people on this board come up with some great solutions for the panel that houses the clock... I would like to put switches/gauges, etc. there, are there any suppliers of these panels or are they all custom made??
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

I used Herculiner. You roll / brush it on yourself. It does NOT come off so plan on forever. It does fade so after a year or so just touch it up with their UV protectant (I'm pretty sure rhino has it too).
I had bad luck with the clocks (2 bad ones so I scrapped it). I would be interested in a lcd clock that is small and lighted if anyone knows of one. Also, making a switch panel is easy as pie with a computer. Just draw the template using exact dimensions. I used autocad, but you can use other programs that are free. Then print the template on a sticker. Stick the sticker on the back of some aluminum, diamond plate, carbon fiber sheet... whatever... then cut it out with a dremel or something similar. I use a mini air tool from the home depot.
BTW, without carpet the car will sound more tinny' and a bit louder. The rhino / herculiner will not do much for insulation if it does anything.
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:49 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Thanks DJ,

Its a Home Depot special. 3 LB I think. I carry one in the back also.
Cool. Thanks Dave.

DJ
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:21 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Regarding seats.. I am torn between reupholstering the seats since there are many many options for this or installing new seats all together. I like the idea of installing new ones that might be more supportive and comfy but I am worried if some brands will reduce the amount of room I have. I'm 6'4 and stuggle with leg and elbow room in the 90. Currently I have the risers that allow the seat to go back and extra inch and i just get buy with that. What are some of the popular brands that people install like? More room, less room, the same??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
interior