Interior heat and engine temp - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:55 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Interior heat and engine temp

Curious at what temp the engine needs to be for the heater to blow hot air. And typically how long does the motor need to be running for it to reach this temp. This is on a 300 Tdi.

Having some issues getting heat going in the truck now that it's cold here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:05 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias
Curious at what temp the engine needs to be for the heater to blow hot air. And typically how long does the motor need to be running for it to reach this temp. This is on a 300 Tdi.

Having some issues getting heat going in the truck now that it's cold here.
Put a radiator blanket on to reduce airflow to get some heat into the engine.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:21 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
In cold but not ridiculous temps how long should it take the motor to warm up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:24 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Driving or idling? Driving, a couple miles under load and you should be good. Idling, never.
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Driving. I drove a few miles, let it idle for 20 minutes and drove a few more miles. Cold air from the heater and the temp gauge was in the blue. Madman coolant temp was in the 50's.

Parked it for 2 hours, drove home a few miles and no temp increase.

Parked at home, plugged in the freeze plug heater let it sit for a few hours. It did get colder outside during this time. Started it and coolant temp gauge said 91. Drove to the store- 2 miles and coolant temp went down to 40's. Let it idle 10 minutes, drove home and air was tepid. Temp gauge was just barely above blue. Coolant was in the high 60's.

Seems like it never really warmed up today.
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

When I idle my TDI the temp cools down drastically.... Are you running a cover on the radiator?

Also I run a Webasto coolant heater when its a little cold.

These are awesome as well. I have a few laying around... One will make its way into my truck this year..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Air-...c9a153&vxp=mtr
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:18 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

When driving,were you puttering around in a highish gear, minimizing engine load? It sounds like either you were "babying" the engine and it had little to no load or the thermostat is not functioning properly or both.
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I also run a 300Tdi. Running a diesel cold is not a good situation, they run better at around 200*F. I just replaced my original Thermostat (10 years old, mfg. by Waxstat) with one I built from 2 Motorad units.

I took the top of a 333-198 and the bottom portion of a 319-192. The 319-192 is the factory original unit. The last 3 digits of the part number indicate degrees F. The Waxstat was shot, as it opened way too early and my temp needle would not sit as high as it should. I also block off 90% of my radiator. With the new combo t-stat (and I have the factory LR '97 gauge) the needle pointed about one needle width higher (dead straight-up) and stayed there. The warm up time was noticeably shorter. I'm going to run this combo t-stat for awhile and then step up to another t-stat I built from 457-205 top & 319-192 bottom. This unit will get me up to about 205* F. I bought all my components (thermostats) off of eBaY.

This whole experiment started as a result of a smoother running engine and better fuel mileage, I noticed, while in the summer AND while in AZ in the winter.

Here's a VW site that shows how to combine units.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=306799

Here's Motorads catalog (very complete)
http://www.fishman-tt.com/_Uploads/d...09_Catalog.pdf
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My 300 tdi never warms up when sitting idle. Warming up defined as warm enough for the thermostat to open and make some heat. I typically have to drive it a mile or two in order to get it warm enough for the thermostat to open. These trucks are no good @ making heat on short trips. Sounds like Alexandra may have a thermostat stuck open.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:18 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
No radiator cover yet. Going to cut cardboard up today and zip tie that on the front. Classy I know.

I've driven it tenderly and then like I stole it and no difference.

If I'm pre-heating the coolant to higher then 90 degrees wouldn't my thermostat open and I'd have heat as soon as I turn the truck on? I don't. By the time I make it two blocks away the coolant has dropped to 40-50 degrees.

I heated the beast overnight with the freeze plug heater and then this AM ran the Webasto coolant heater for an hour prior to leaving. No heat. Last winter with the petrol motor I had heat. No power and just as loud- but it was warm.

I like that Webasto air top cabin heater. That wold be toasty.
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:40 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

What webasto do you have? Thermo top c??? What is the temp that it runs up to and shuts down?

Something is not right. As Doug pointed out you might have a stuck thermostat. My engine is cold for about 1.5 miles then it is nice and toasty. Also there are a few ways to plumb a webasto. I have uploaded the Defender specific install on here in the past...

I put mine on for about 10 minutes prior to start up on cold mornings and the cab is so warm I don't need a coat. I do have a Double cab though. My A/C and heat is more efficient than a SW 110 due to the smaller area.
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:10 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I'll have to take a look at how the Webasto is installed.

Looking like I should get a new thermostat and see if that fixes my problem.

What is the part number for the stock thermostat?
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If it is really cold, (for me) 20 degrees or so, it does take a little while to get warm. Sitting at idle doesn't do a thing. Once over the mountain it will bake you out. I do cover the Radiator in the winter with a little cardboard. I do not block the inner-cooler.
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
No radiator cover yet. Going to cut cardboard up today and zip tie that on the front. Classy I know.t. Last winter with the petrol motor I had heat. No power and just as loud- but it was warm.
If you open the bonnet, you will notice a small slot between the rad & the metal plate on top. This slot is perfect to slide a piece of wood paneling or plastic cardboard or hardboard down into. There's also a slot in front of the radiator base to hold the bottom in also. Cut it a little long on the top, that remainder will make it easy to pull out and the bonnet will keep it in place when closed. To make it pretty, paint it black.
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
What webasto do you have? Thermo top c??? What is the temp that it runs up to and shuts down?

Something is not right. As Doug pointed out you might have a stuck thermostat. My engine is cold for about 1.5 miles then it is nice and toasty. Also there are a few ways to plumb a webasto. I have uploaded the Defender specific install on here in the past...

I put mine on for about 10 minutes prior to start up on cold mornings and the cab is so warm I don't need a coat. I do have a Double cab though. My A/C and heat is more efficient than a SW 110 due to the smaller area.
Same here. after a couple miles my 2.8 is at temp and putting out heat. after 10 minutes of full on heat, I have to turn it off because it gets too warm in the cab.

Either your t-stat is stuck open (most likely) or you installed your webasto in such a way that it is allowing coolant to bypass the t-stat and get straight to the radiator. The webasto install should be a block only recirculation.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:29 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post

Same here. after a couple miles my 2.8 is at temp and putting out heat. after 10 minutes of full on heat, I have to turn it off because it gets too warm in the cab.

Either your t-stat is stuck open (most likely) or you installed your webasto in such a way that it is allowing coolant to bypass the t-stat and get straight to the radiator. The webasto install should be a block only recirculation.
I believe mine is plumbed "inline" with the heater matrix. I need to take a look at the Defender specific install...
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I believe mine is plumbed "inline" with the heater matrix. I need to take a look at the Defender specific install...
It should be installed in the heater inlet line if you want to use it to help in cab heat. Make sure there are no restriction in the coolant flow as these want good flow.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Driving. I drove a few miles, let it idle for 20 minutes and drove a few more miles. Cold air from the heater and the temp gauge was in the blue. Madman coolant temp was in the 50's.

Parked it for 2 hours, drove home a few miles and no temp increase.

Parked at home, plugged in the freeze plug heater let it sit for a few hours. It did get colder outside during this time. Started it and coolant temp gauge said 91. Drove to the store- 2 miles and coolant temp went down to 40's. Let it idle 10 minutes, drove home and air was tepid. Temp gauge was just barely above blue. Coolant was in the high 60's.

Seems like it never really warmed up today.
Your thermostat is leaking.

With a properly installed Webasto, you should have warm air in 5 minutes (warmer than outside....)

Also check that the hot/cold flap on the heater is pushing tight to the hot side.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I fired the webasto up this AM to take my kids to school 30 min before departure. by the time I got to the end of the street, I had to turn the heat off.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It should be installed in the heater inlet line if you want to use it to help in cab heat. Make sure there are no restriction in the coolant flow as these want good flow.
I think it is. I've attached photos of the set up. I checked the hoses this AM while it was running and all of them were warm. It seems to be doing its job, it's when I turn it off and switch it off and go to the truck heat that I have the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Your thermostat is leaking.

With a properly installed Webasto, you should have warm air in 5 minutes (warmer than outside....)

Also check that the hot/cold flap on the heater is pushing tight to the hot side.
How do I check the hot/cold flap on the heater?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	60856   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	60857  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, interior