Intercooler cleaning - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 28th, 2006, 07:25 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Intercooler cleaning

Another FYI... While I had my radiator out for servicing I decided to clean my intercooler while I was in there... I used 3 cans of engine degreaser to finally get it to come out clean. It was seriously dirty with oil. When I first put cleaner in it it would barely flow through. There was approx 80k on the intercooler.

There is a question in here though... Is that kind of build up excessive? she dosn;t seem to burn oil.

anyway, no doubt this will help with power/mpg. If you have many miles on the tdi and are thinking about cleaning the intercooler do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

I was told by a "turbo rebuiding tech" here that when you find oil in the ducts and intercooler you have a small oil leak from the turbo seal. Thought not that urgent to fix, you can live with it for a while but you do loose some boost and of course mileage.

They quoted me 550$ CDN for complete rebuild and a few upgrades (ie better lubrification and top of the line bearing and a 3 year unlimited waranty).

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:09 PM
D90user
steve

Thanks Pat... good to know... how not urgent is this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

As long as the bearings sound good and stay well lubricated it can wait. The turbo will change sound when the bearing goes, but try not to wait too long cause then the overhaul starts getting more expensive. This is from what I know but if anyone can add thier 2 cents...

And remember if you have oil in the intercooler then it is also in the intake manifold and so on ... so ... more cleaning when you get your turbo rebuilt.

Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Intercooler cleaning

We do an intercooler cleaning once a year on my Bertram Sportfish. All marine diesel manufacturers recomend it. What is done is a spray bottle is filled with 4 ounces of detergent and four ounces of water and it is slowly spritzed into the throttle body while the engine is running under load ie 2500 rpm or so. This is followed by 4 more ounces of water. The first time I heard of this I thought it was crazy-spraying water into a 20k engine but the performance gains are immediate. I'm not sure how one would do this on a truck engine but thought I would share what is done with boats. For more info check out www.boatdiesel.com and do a search for intercooler cleaning.
Old September 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

could be a pressure differential between the exhaust and intake sides of turbo, causing oil to be pushed from turbo bearings towards the side with the lower pressure?
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:03 PM
D90user
steve

this is getting me paraniod. It wold be possible that If I have blow by it could be forcing oil... now I'm worried. I'm going to run a compression test as soon as I get her back togather. Or the turbo coudl be on the outs. Has anyone run the 2.8 turbo on a 300?

How much oil is "normal" to be blowing through?
Now that I have it clean I can take it off in a week to see how much has built up.
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Dont make too much of it, mine hase been leeking oil for the past six month on my 200tdi and still goimg strong.

If you want to make a quick check, have a look at the pipe heading to the intercooler every fuel fill it will give you a good idea, and also check your engine oil level as usual.

My 0.02 $

Pat

Old September 29th, 2006, 09:35 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Lightbulb

Hello there ,

Remember there is a hose (engine breather) that goes from
rocker cover to air intake (half way beetween air filter and
turbo in 300Tdi). Oil vapor go from engine top and grease
all air intake circuit (turbo, hoses, intercooler...). I'm planning
to put a oil sedimentator in the middle of this hose.
Any other ideas ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions