interchange able - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 28th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
interchange able

Just thought I'd share that while working on my sons 83 110 and finding the fan clutch lacking we looked through my spares for a potential replacement. A 300 tdi fan and fan clutch assembly spun right onto the early style water pump. The early white fans as are found on the truck are known for dropping blade and grenading and taking out the radiator. The black tdi fan has more blades and pulls more air @ lower rpm. The later tdi parts are also cheaper and more readily available.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2012, 09:46 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Good to know, thanks Doug. I was looking at different options.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I went the whole summer with no fan! One would probably be necessary if offroading, but I sat in traffic a few times and my temp gauge never when above the middle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
tdi's really don't need a fan if you stay in motion, I don't run one most of the year. My sons truck is a 3.5 v8 and a fan isn't optional

Dividing Creek Imports

Old October 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
After breaking all the motor/transmission mounts at the cove I couldn't put the fan back on without it hitting something and drove the truck for 40 minutes on trails back to camp, it never even thought about running hot. But it did keep the condenser fans on almost constantly though (does that even with the fan in place). This is a 3.9 V8.
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:19 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Can anyone confirm that this Ti setup would work on a 3.9L V8 (NAS)? I'm contemplating ordering up ERR2789 (fan) and ERR2266 (clutch), but would obviously not want to waste the coin if it won't mate up.

I suppose if I got motivated I could pull it off the Tdi 110 and try to fit it to the NAS 90. But would be much easier just to know if anyone else tried it so I can just order parts .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hey Doug are the fans the same diameter? Will the 300 fan and clutch fit in the v8 fan shroud?

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:49 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Hey Doug are the fans the same diameter? Will the 300 fan and clutch fit in the v8 fan shroud?
My replacement 3.9 fan arrived today - measures 15 1/4" diameter. Took a half-assed measurement on the Tdi fan - appears to be approximately 17 1/4" diameter. Based on the fact that there's not much breathing room in the 3.9 shroud I'm going to guess NO - this won't work with the existing shroud.

I'm also skeptical - looking at it - that the Tdi fan & clutch will fit on the 3.9 V8. I do believe the post Doug was initially referring to was for the early 3.5L V8s, which the Tdi fan & clutch does work on.

Again, haven't confirmed this explicitly (just hypothesizing) but if anyone has any concrete information I'm all ears.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 11th, 2012, 07:41 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
A disco clutch and 11 blade fan fits perfectly in the v8 shroud .. I had to shift the shroud about 1/8 inch ... As Dan said originally looks like it was made to fit that combo rather than the7 blade fan which sits miles away.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
A disco clutch and 11 blade fan fits perfectly in the v8 shroud .. I had to shift the shroud about 1/8 inch ... As Dan said originally looks like it was made to fit that combo rather than the7 blade fan which sits miles away.
ERR3439 (fan) and ERR3443 (clutch) I'm assuming? Would still be nice to get off cheaper with the Tdi setup...and I could use it as backup on either truck from my end, which would also be nice.

Just curious - anyone know the diameter of the ERR3439 or want to take a measurement?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 11th, 2012, 08:05 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Sorry my truck is parked up ..
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:26 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
....I'm also skeptical - looking at it - that the Tdi fan & clutch will fit on the 3.9 V8. I do believe the post Doug was initially referring to was for the early 3.5L V8s, which the Tdi fan & clutch does work on.
Thanks for the update Jason. I have the older 3.5 V8.

Just another question. Can you confirm if they spin in the same direction? Someone told me they spin in the opposite direction?

Old October 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Can anyone confirm that this Ti setup would work on a 3.9L V8 (NAS)? I'm contemplating ordering up ERR2789 (fan) and ERR2266 (clutch), but would obviously not want to waste the coin if it won't mate up.

I suppose if I got motivated I could pull it off the Tdi 110 and try to fit it to the NAS 90. But would be much easier just to know if anyone else tried it so I can just order parts .
No idea on later trucks Lav. You have the parts check it out. I know the serp belt trucks use a larger thread fan clutch.

Mudsux the fan fits inside the shroud- I haven't got it put back together. We pulled the wings off to paint them and found other areas needing attention.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions