Inter-communication headsets? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo
1983 110, 1985 110, 1993 110...

Inter-communication headsets?

Being new to the 110 and mine is a diesel 110 it is loud inside. The thought occurred to use some form of a Inter-communication headset inside the vehicle something akin to those used inside of an aircraft... The purpose will be twofold. 1. preserve what hearing I have left. 20 years in the Marine Corps and three trips to the sandbox have not been kind to my ears. 2. allow people to talk inside the vehicle at highway speeds...

Anyone done or seen anything like this?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I did this with my Series III when I took the top off. People stared at me funny. I used military headsets though. You may want to look at what the motorcycle guys are doing. I think they are smaller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:48 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Doing it right is pretty expensive though, figure $1000 for two people after the control unit, headsets etc (Honda Goldwing style), putting in a set of the Exmoor Trim high-density sound mats might be more economical.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Well ... even the motorcycle one, you will need the ones for OPEN HELMET style ( with the microphone isolating noise ) and for 4 passenger and if you choose wireless , couple of thousand might not be enough
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX
I did this with my Series III when I took the top off. People stared at me funny. I used military headsets though. You may want to look at what the motorcycle guys are doing. I think they are smaller.
Which versions were you using? Interesting I am not even CLOSE to the first person to consider this huh? Well the fancy aircraft stuff will easily run into the 2k mark for 4 people.

I do have my old flight helmet though... Hummmmm the things that make ya go hummmmm That would be pretty cool, hand out SPH-4s for everyone?

Actually I am wondering what kind of sound canceling technology is out there with mics?

For driving events I have seen instructors use a simple system that provides one other person full duplex comms. Time to do more research.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:26 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hey Peter,

I have a set of PRC68 and a pair of H-161 headsets. I was able to jump a cable inside the PTT switch to get them to work properly. Only problem they are not VOX. You have to push the switch to transmit.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I highly recommend soundproofing first if it hasn't been done already. Dynamat Extreme made a huge difference in my tdi. It went from not being able to talk on the phone at all, to being able to hold a conversation at normal level (and I haven't even finished insulating!). Put some Exmoor Trim on top of that and you'll be good to go.
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

You might want to look at the set ups used by fire departments in their heavy equipment. Pretty sure it'll be cheaper than an aviation set up.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old December 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=833270
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I personally don't feel soundproofing does very much other than add weight. i have added a bunch in the roof, floors, firewall, rear tub. Cavitation and noise is still everywhere and seems a fact of life and not much better than I started with.

So I think you are headed down the right path. I have met a couple folks who leverage the pilot headsets in their Mog and 110.
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Airsoft FRS?

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...1=8&menu2=1185
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

Actually there are many options here, from the ridiculously expensive to the absurdly cheap. First go to ebay and search for "motorcycle intercom" Most are made for helmets, but you can start to get an idea of what is out there. I can highly recommend the NADY as I have used one for years instructing people on the race track.

You may need to go and find some different headsets, but likely you can use cheapo cell phone hands free dongle thingys or go a bit up in the range and find some headsets with compatible plugs.

There are also bluetooth kits on ebay that do this which likely provides some "wire free" comfort. I had not seen these before and may be upgrading my system to one of those. Wires running around the inside of a race car (while more common than it should be) just isn't the safest way to go (even in a defender).
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It does not have to be a fact of life if you do it right. You'll never completely eliminate road and engine noise but it can make a huge difference going from painful, deafening to acceptable noise levels that you can have a normal conversation in. The quality of the soundproofing material and how you install it can make a difference as well. Holes and cracks transmit a lot of noise so you'll notice the most difference by covering those up. There is not as you say an unlimited amount of places for sound to bleed through. I had bunch of holes in my seat box which I covered with two layers of Dynamat Extreme and then a rubber seat box cover on top of that. It made a huge difference. Huge. I thought about doing a before-and-after test with a decibel meter but I never did because I wasn't expecting that big of a difference. In addition to sound insulation the foil also helps insulate heat, keeping heat in/out. I haven't noticed the additional weight at all other than the doors feels and sounds better when slamming them and you don't need as much force to close them now. That's my personal experience.

I'd rather remedy the problem than spending lots of cash trying to deal with it. Unless of course you someone who likes geeking out on gadgets which in that case fine, have at it... or you can buy a big tub of earplugs and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
I personally don't feel soundproofing does very much other than add weight. i have added a bunch in the roof, floors, firewall, rear tub. Cavitation and noise is still everywhere and seems a fact of life and not much better than I started with.

So I think you are headed down the right path. I have met a couple folks who leverage the pilot headsets in their Mog and 110.
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can sound proof well enough. My truck is quiet enough to have a normal conversation and listen to the radio. It is louder than a modern car, but not enough to want hearing protection. I don't have any fancy soundproofing, just lots of insulation.
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

This seems a bit ridiculous.
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:26 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
I highly recommend soundproofing first if it hasn't been done already. Dynamat Extreme made a huge difference in my tdi. It went from not being able to talk on the phone at all, to being able to hold a conversation at normal level (and I haven't even finished insulating!). Put some Exmoor Trim on top of that and you'll be good to go.
Well the idea of adding soundproofing is a worthy one BUT it is also added weight. Coming from the Porsche Community where people do all they can to reduce weight. Things like strip all of the sound proofing out or put in tiny batteries just powerful enough to turn the engine over once or twice per track session. I am hesitant to start adding weight to a pretty much striped out vehicle.

I realize that this is a 4 wheel drive and not going to go fast around a track but the less it weighs empty means the more it can carry in cargo weight.

The flip side to this is however in cold weather the vehicle will cold soak quite quickly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand

The head set idea is the way I am leaning. Hell in my 96 Dodge 2500 (Tow Beast) I wear sound canceling headphones for long drives and it does help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
HOLY CRAP ! ! ! I had no idea the Airsoft kids had copied so many of our headsets... Curious about the quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
It does not have to be a fact of life if you do it right. You'll never completely eliminate road and engine noise but it can make a huge difference going from painful, deafening to acceptable noise levels that you can have a normal conversation in. The quality of the soundproofing material and how you install it can make a difference as well. Holes and cracks transmit a lot of noise so you'll notice the most difference by covering those up. There is not as you say an unlimited amount of places for sound to bleed through. I had bunch of holes in my seat box which I covered with two layers of Dynamat Extreme and then a rubber seat box cover on top of that. It made a huge difference. Huge. I thought about doing a before-and-after test with a decibel meter but I never did because I wasn't expecting that big of a difference. In addition to sound insulation the foil also helps insulate heat, keeping heat in/out. I haven't noticed the additional weight at all other than the doors feels and sounds better when slamming them and you don't need as much force to close them now. That's my personal experience.

I'd rather remedy the problem than spending lots of cash trying to deal with it. Unless of course you someone who likes geeking out on gadgets which in that case fine, have at it... or you can buy a big tub of earplugs and be done with it.
I will look into seat box insulation. Where did you apply insulation in the doors? What about the roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
This seems a bit ridiculous.
What seems a bit ridiculous?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Follow-up Post:

Oh yeah I forgot, has anyone taken a decibel meter into a 90 or a 110 at highway speeds? I am curious what noise levels are present?

I was never big on hearing pro and it is a HUGE regret. For anyone who shoots or works around aircraft, DOUBLE PROTECTION can't say enough on that subject.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Maybe you do need a headliner. Headliner + rubber mats or carpet all around will cut down on a lot of noise and then you are on to more expensive things. Personally, I rather enjoy traveling in the D90 as I don't have to talk to my passenger[s] I just crank up the radio and put my foot to the floor.
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:18 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Personally, I rather enjoy traveling in the D90 as I don't have to talk to my passenger[s] I just crank up the radio and put my foot to the floor.
Well, there is that aspect to it LOL ! ! !

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
say what?...what?...WHAT??
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Take off the door cards and line the door skins on the inside with Dynamat Extreme. You can remove the door lock assemblies if need be. Dynamat Extreme weighs 0.45lb./ft2 (2.20kg/m2) and I have added two boxes so far (36 sq ft each). That's 32.4 lbs in additional weight. Since I don't plan to race my D90 professionally that extra 32 lbs is of little concern to me. Dynamat Extreme is heavier than foams because it is more effective than foams (or fancy as some call it). I would avoid using foams in damp climates because they collect and retain moisture. I haven't lined the roof yet but I plan on doing it.

I also have a hearing problem. I've got tinnitus, the constant ringing in my ears that will never go away. I got it from excessive and repeated loud noise. Earplugs, people, earplugs. Wear the earplugs. appreciate the earplugs. You'll wish you had when its too late.

I got a decibel meter. I will check the noise level in my truck tomorrow and post. Perhaps someone else can do the same and we can compare.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions