Inter-communication headsets? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2009, 03:16 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

What seems a bit ridiculous?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA[/QUOTE]

Sorry bout that. I didn't read the whole thread.

Headliner and sound proofing make a big difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2009, 08:26 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

May also want to check if its legal in your state. I know in Va its illegal to have both ears covered while driving. Motorcycles are exempt.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
My truck was seriously noisy when I bought it and could not hear what people were saying in the back seat and had a hard time hearing the passenger in the front seat. I bought a roll of Peel N Seel which is cheap substitute for Dynamat but it works great, $98 for 100 square feet. I covered everything, roof or headliner, bulkhead, transmission tunnel cover, floor, footwell, doors, seatbox, hood. The change is night and day in both noise reduction and reducing heat transfer through the bulkhead. This was a easy cheap solution I performed 4 years ago, I dont remember what a noisy truck is like anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Kevin,

Do you have a link to the place where you bought your Peel-n-Seal for that price? Is this the stuff you're talking about?: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...il=&lpage=none
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:25 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
Kevin,

Do you have a link to the place where you bought your Peel-n-Seal for that price? Is this the stuff you're talking about?: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...il=&lpage=none
This is the stuff I bought and still have a bit left over after all was said and done. If you look around you can find it cheaper than what is stated in the link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
People who had not used it told me it would smell like tar on hot days but this has not been the case, I have had it on for 4 years in temps over 120 degrees in the Mojave Desert for several days and not a hint of odor or becoming "unstuck". In areas of high noise like the tunnel cover or bulkhead I simply doubled the material. Doing the roof was a great help in noise reduction and shielding from radiant heat of the sun. I think you will be pleased if you go this route.
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was just talking about the whole head set thing. The soundproofing works well but on a S/T it does not do much. The wind noise on a top at 70+ is really loud. I would love to have a noise canceling hed set for the stereo and also hooked up to the CB. Not sure if this is even possible. If anyone knows how do do this, lem me know.
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Its possible one of the guys at the station a few years ago build a stereo that plugged into the intercom system on our rescue squad. I would think for the CB you'd have to take an adapter for a VHF radio and splice in the mic connector from the CB.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:44 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'd like to do something similar - wire my cb to my amp/speakers and have the CB override the stereo input so I can hear it on the highway, then go back to the stereo input.

I'm sure it's possible but I too don't know the term for it. Anyone?
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
This is the stuff I bought and still have a bit left over after all was said and done. If you look around you can find it cheaper than what is stated in the link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
People who had not used it told me it would smell like tar on hot days but this has not been the case, I have had it on for 4 years in temps over 120 degrees in the Mojave Desert for several days and not a hint of odor or becoming "unstuck". In areas of high noise like the tunnel cover or bulkhead I simply doubled the material. Doing the roof was a great help in noise reduction and shielding from radiant heat of the sun. I think you will be pleased if you go this route.
The issues with peel & stick coming off is in cold climates where it does not re-melt to stay in place mostly and thermal expansion causes it to pop off. That being said the B-Quiet Ultimate is rubber bases not tar and sticks like mad. No signs of any movement in the Disco after 3 years in Canadian weather. I also believe it is about 1.8x more effective or so because of the stretch in addition to the mass loading.

If you really want to block noise though you need to more than anything else make sure every air gap/hole is blocked to the outside... even a small pin-hole can let in a whole lot of sound. I am going to use the Cascade Engineering VB2 (I think, the sticky one intended for inside doors etc) to make sure the new doors are totally air-sealed and damped.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
The issues with peel & stick coming off is in cold climates where it does not re-melt to stay in place mostly and thermal expansion causes it to pop off. That being said the B-Quiet Ultimate is rubber bases not tar and sticks like mad. No signs of any movement in the Disco after 3 years in Canadian weather. I also believe it is about 1.8x more effective or so because of the stretch in addition to the mass loading.

If you really want to block noise though you need to more than anything else make sure every air gap/hole is blocked to the outside... even a small pin-hole can let in a whole lot of sound. I am going to use the Cascade Engineering VB2 (I think, the sticky one intended for inside doors etc) to make sure the new doors are totally air-sealed and damped.
I had never heard of that problem with Peel N Seal. True I dont live in a cold climate but the winters I have spent in the Sierra it has held up great. Peel N Seal is also made for roofs in snow climates so you would think it would stick or at least expand and contract. The product I am using is a asphalt impregnated silicone, you had better be sure of where you are placing it because once you put it on it aint coming off.
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I'd like to do something similar - wire my cb to my amp/speakers and have the CB override the stereo input so I can hear it on the highway, then go back to the stereo input.

I'm sure it's possible but I too don't know the term for it. Anyone?

Exactly what I would like as well.. Someone most know how to do this setup. I would not mind having to buy a set of expensive headphones if this would work or even use the CB mic to transmit. Its just the hearing side of things. I would love noise canceling head sets.
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Exactly what I would like as well.. Someone most know how to do this setup. I would not mind having to buy a set of expensive headphones if this would work or even use the CB mic to transmit. Its just the hearing side of things. I would love noise canceling head sets.
Don't know if any CBs come with an earphone jack, but if you could somehow get the audio output to run to an earphone jack, you could then use a Jupiter Jack:

https://www.freejupiterjack.com/3/?

which would allow you to switch between radio and CB audio fairly easy using a designated radio station.

Or run an aux line to your stereo (assuming your car stereo has an AUX port), and do it that way. Both assume you can get audio output to an headphone jack somehow.
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
It needs to automatically happen. I know I can do it with a 'puter but bet hardware exists.

Just seeing a picture of Mayes brought a tear to my eye...
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My stereo has that feature (Blau from lotus) -- for phone of course -- but I don't see why you could not plug in a CB instead.
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
This might be worth trying on my POS stereo.

http://donn.dyndns.org/projects/carstereoinput/

Follow-up Post:

Actually this is the hardware we need!

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=572
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
This is a device made specifically for the CB interrupt and explains some of the stereo requirements a bit better. Basically newer devices come with an "audio interrupt" lead which at the very least mutes the radio otherwise this guys sells an addon for that too

http://www.twowayradiogizmos.com/index.html
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Interesting... Now how would we hook up a set of Dr. Dre Head phones to kick some serious tunes to.... lol
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM
firemangreen
Justin
97 D1, 95 SW, 65 IIA

You should be able to set up a pair of David Clark headsets that can receive and transmit over CB. It's just like Tyler was talking about in fire apparatus. You can get most if not all of the equipment on Fleabay. Two headsets, two user interfaces and a master control station could probably be had for under $200. For some of the specifics as how to hook it all up, a decent commercial radio shop should be able to help you out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/David...5fPartsQ5fGear

The above headset is very similar to one I bought for $30 used about four months ago. That and the associated hardware would make a pretty decent system. They even make a headset with the left ear open for the driver, so as to not run afoul of the law.
95 SW #129
65 IIA
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
interesting...
Old December 20th, 2009, 08:38 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Saw a device like this for motorbikes the other day but didn't keep the URL. But same idea. Little box with input for the cd inline with the cable to the headphones.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions