Intake Manifold - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Intake Manifold

Just replaced the water pump and gasket because I blew it out. Was checking for leaks and now when I give the truck some gas I get coolant leakage from the intake manifold.
My questions are these:

1. I figure I need to replace the gasket, is it worse than that. Do I have a cracked block or something, am I supposed to be getting coolant there if the gasket is bad?

2. What else should I replace while I'm in there?

3. Any tips/pointers? After the water pump I've learned the engineers that wrote the manual sure never performed any of the services.

Thanks in advance

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Where on the intake manifold are you leaking? Are you just getting coolant on the valley gasket or do you actually see a leak?
Old February 17th, 2007, 08:19 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I've got coolant building (I can see it leak when I open up the throttle) up on the valley (I guess). It's right at the center bolt behind the distributor. I tried tightening the bolt, but no help.

I did a search and it looks to be easy enough to replace, I guess...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yeah, that is an easy fix. I use hylomar around the water journals at the valley gasket and right stuff at the end clamps--that works for me.
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Nice, Thanks Chris! I'm (obviously) a newbie to every new thing there is to fix, and I was thinking the worst (You know, like cracked block or something of the like). Wonderring if I was going to start parting it out...

Ordering the gasket, getting the hylomar and right stuff.

Anyone in Richmond want to do a shop day sometime soon? I'll sponsor a keg...
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
Nice, Thanks Chris! I'm (obviously) a newbie to every new thing there is to fix, and I was thinking the worst (You know, like cracked block or something of the like). Wonderring if I was going to start parting it out...

Ordering the gasket, getting the hylomar and right stuff.

Anyone in Richmond want to do a shop day sometime soon? I'll sponsor a keg...
If you are removing the entire manifold (I assume you have to on the RR to get to the gasket) use lots of PB blaster on the bolts. Try not to allow them to break. When I did this on the 01 Disco it took lots of PB and work to remove the bolts without 1) breaking them or 2) stripping them.

Good luck!

~RC

EDIT...Mine was an exhaust manifold and on a Disco!
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverChic
If you are removing the entire manifold (I assume you have to on the RR to get to the gasket) use lots of PB blaster on the bolts. Try not to allow them to break. When I did this on the 01 Disco it took lots of PB and work to remove the bolts without 1) breaking them or 2) stripping them.

Good luck!

~RC

EDIT...Mine was an exhaust manifold and on a Disco!
Excuse my ignorance, but when you say pb do you mean something like liquid wrench? I'm not aware of any rust remover with the pb acronym.

Neil
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:19 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
Excuse my ignorance, but when you say pb do you mean something like liquid wrench? I'm not aware of any rust remover with the pb acronym.

Neil
http://www.pbblaster.com/

Sorry! I think you can get it at Wal-Mart, AutoZone, EE sells it.
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Our Auto Zone in Los Angeles dosen't sell that brand, mabye Walmart does. It's kinda like how we don't have Sonic or Hardee's burgers but everyone else in the mid-west does. If it dosen't have a spanish translation on the can, you can't find it here.

Neil
Old February 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Quote:
Our Auto Zone in Los Angeles dosen't sell that brand, mabye Walmart does. It's kinda like how we don't have Sonic or Hardee's burgers but everyone else in the mid-west does. If it dosen't have a spanish translation on the can, you can't find it here.

Neil

Hola qué tal? Cómo estás, Neil?

Trust me you are not missing anything with no Sonic (they add butter to their buns??)! The headquarters are in downtown OKC where I grew up.

I have always had better luck with the PB than with WD-40, maybe it is just me. You might also try O'Reilly Auto Parts and/or Napa.

~RC
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverChic
Hola qué tal? Cómo estás, Neil?

Trust me you are not missing anything with no Sonic (they add butter to their buns??)! The headquarters are in downtown OKC where I grew up.

I have always had better luck with the PB than with WD-40, maybe it is just me. You might also try O'Reilly Auto Parts and/or Napa.

~RC
Bien bien seniorita. Thats ok, I wouldn't want someone to butter my buns anyway. We got this instead to clog our arteries in Los Angeles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carne_asada_fries BTW WD-40 is not designed to displace rust on bolts, thats why it dosen't work. Someone smarter than me told me this.

Neil
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:41 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Quote:
Thats ok, I wouldn't want someone to butter my buns anyway.

Neil
Hmmm, I guess it all depends who is doing the 'buttering'....... <Hot man in Rover? >

Quote:
BTW WD-40 is not designed to displace rust on bolts, thats why it dosen't work. Someone smarter than me told me this.

Well hell, I think that just cleared up about 15 years of ambiguity! I am embarrassed!

This post brought to you by a major blonde moment!
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Well, what a PITA this has become.

So I've got it all torn apart, plenum, air rams (or whatever they're called), intake manifold, even got the valve covers off (the kit came with the seals so I figured I might as well).
Here's my question, it's all REAL dirty, so I figure I'll clean them all up, but what else should I do? The injectors look all but shot, so I figure I can do those, but I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money, it's a hobby truck, not daily travel.

Oh and a second question, when I pulled the fuel rail there was still fuel in it and it spilled on the engine, am I hurting anything? I wiped up what I could but I know I didn't get it all. Am I gonna have a carbecue now?

Thanks in advance.

And on a side note, this is why I love land rovers. I would have NEVER thought about doing a job like this on my own before I got a rover. Now, I feel like a better person.
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

While the manifold is off, make sure not to drop ANYTHING down into that open area. Since it's an open valley, anything you lose down there means you'll have to pull the oil pan too. You can think about cleaning up the worst of the sludge, but I wouldn't go too crazy as you don't want to have big chunks of the stuff floating around the oil pan.

Don't worry about the slight bit of spilled gas, it will have evaporated by now. If you still had a big puddle, then i'd worry, but not if it just splashed and is dry now.

The injectors, you can also consider sending them out for rebuilding/balancing. Costs a fraction of what new ones cost, and there are other sources for new ones that also cost MUCH cheaper than buying from Land Rover. You can almost get a full set for what the dealership wants for just one of the buggers.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

The Intake Gaskets are a common problem...along with just about every other seal on a LR! Just thought I'd add a few things to what others have said. PB blaster is great, Wurth makes a good product called Rost Off or something like that also. I wouldn't mess with the sludge unless you are going to be very carefull of where it is going as you break it loose and I'd have a vac right there sucking it up as you break it loose too. The bolts should come off easily as it sounds like you have already noticed, but they are not supposed to be reused! As for the Fuel Injectors, if they look real bad I would search for new ones. As someone else metioned, Fuel Injectors are very similar btw different makes and models and can usually be sourced very inexpensively as long as you know the specs. http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_Sets.asp is a pretty good site for Injectors. I have not used them, but the guys on the BMW e30 board love them! If you have removed the Injectors already you NEED to replace the O-rings at each end; DO NOT RE-USE THESE! Also, the little brass bushings in the VC gaskets are notorious for falling into the head when you remove them, so count that you have all 8 before you reassemble. If you don't, you'll need to try to find where any missing ones have fallen. I would also suggest an oil change directly after as you are likely to have gotten some coolant in the oil during the process. BTW, when you install the Water Pump it is a good idea to put a little right stuff on the 3 longer bolts that go through the Front Cover. Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I have a intake manifold off a 110 for sale if you need one. I believe it has around 40k miles on it.
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:04 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Thanks guys.
Kevin, We'll see, but I think I'm good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions